Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 AM

520 posts, read 896,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The think the OP makes a very good point. I never sat down one day and made a decision to become an atheist. I simply realized that given the fact that I found so many religious foundation beliefs to be preposterous that by definition I was an atheist. I do think that people very often make an attempt to become a believer and that they're trying to make a choice but the fact remains that you either believe or you don't and I don't think you can fake it. The belief system of religion either rings true or it doesn't and even though an individual may make every effort to choose one side or the other I don't think that in the end it really is a choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Similar to Montana Guy, I never "chose" to be an atheist, I very suddenly came upon the realization that I just am not capable of faith.
I agree, there came a time when I realized that such things didn't add up and that I could not just choose set them aside and continue on my merry way. They glared at me, and could not be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:20 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If you cannot bring yourself to believe, have you not made the choice NOT to believe?
That is like saying that if you cannot swim, and fall into the lake, you have made a choice to drown...Disbelief is not a choice in most cases.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
Great post AREQUIPA, I only have one issue.

I would be very careful attributing 'innate' qualities to people, as I have yet to see any one innate metaphysical quality that resides in all people. I do not think that every one has such a "divine instinct", as by its very nature the divine is beyond our reach of a full understanding. And I think that this may be the root cause that is often misunderstood as a "divine instinct", the need to know, and to understand ones world around them. In some people this may translate into looking to the supernatural to explain the natural, or the individual seeking out the information themselves.
Yes. Yet I'm aware of this feeling that 'there must be something more'. It is easily exploited in signing people up to various faiths or cults. I don't know where we get it and what part is innate to the way our minds work and what part is taught us, so I'm interested, but not jumping to any unsupported conclusions about it.

Quote:
Do you not think there may be certain learned or inherited traits that may conflict, or steer one away from such "spiritual products"? You mention (in so many words) that spiritual belief is rarely decided logically, what then of those that are more logically inclined than others? What of people that logically/skeptically analyze most things in their life?
I thinks that is something we do. We reason things out. However, if we don't learn the use of logical tools, we can easily reason our way to illogical conclusions.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:02 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,810,071 times
"I don't know" that's all you can really say without personal proof, why doesn't God reveal to all what he reveals to one? Is it just a matter of time? Do some not need revealing for joy? "I don't know" are you to be held more accountable than someone else would be in the same situation for the fact that you are a Christian? That's what scripture says, so it would kind of be a blessing to not know some things, but a larger blessing to know that there is more I suppose. I'm just more confused about faith than ever before lately, the old 'the Lord works in mysterious ways' is irrefutable in my life I feel. No, I don't think it is a choice whether to believe or not, but if you surround yourself with ideological conceptions they grow on you, belief and disbelief both. If you really try to step back and take an unbiased approach to the human race, I'd say the most logical conclusion would be agnostic. Although to me, since in I believe in Christianity, Christ would be the most logical thing to believe, but that's bias. I did read this funny joke though that you could argue against agnosticism being logical with, "I used to be Agnostic, but now I'm not sure" hehe

Old 08-27-2009, 12:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
I do have the "god" gene. God is a personal experience, and private. I don't ever have to justify or explain my situation to skeptics. Sometimes they ask a question with a silly smirk on their faces. I give them an honest answer. MY answer, and they go into the "the shredding verbal bulldog attack" mode. If I were to ask them why they don't believe, and they give me any kind of answer I let it go at that. I don't try to convert them. They would be wasting my calories. I can't recall a time that I didn't feel spirit energy in my life. There were many moments that I questioned Christianity, and still do, but I never lost my feelings of being connected to something "friendly and constant." I don't need a name brand religion.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I did read this funny joke though that you could argue against agnosticism being logical with, "I used to be Agnostic, but now I'm not sure" hehe

I saw a bumpersticker once:

Militant agnostic: I don't know and NEITHER DO YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality