Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 09:46 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people either say God **%$! or Jesus Christ. I've also heard, "Oh, Jesus, Mary & Joseph" when someone was upset about something. Or how about God *%! Son of a *&%#!

While I'm seriously offended by these phrases, what makes me wonder even more is: if people who declare they are not Christians, do not believe in God (note, not a higher power but God) then why do they say these specific phrases? Why not blaspheme a different god? Why not say F*&%$! Buddah! or how about Allah *%! Son of a *&%#!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 10:01 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Default Blaspheme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Why do so many people either say God **%$! or Jesus Christ. I've also heard, "Oh, Jesus, Mary & Joseph" when someone was upset about something. Or how about God *%! Son of a *&%#!

While I'm seriously offended by these phrases, what makes me wonder even more is: if people who declare they are not Christians, do not believe in God (note, not a higher power but God) then why do they say these specific phrases? Why not blaspheme a different god? Why not say F*&%$! Buddah! or how about Allah *%! Son of a *&%#!
Well I think to answer that question is more a matter of learned speech more than anything. They are slang phrases used to express extreme disappointment or incredulity in something.

To really boil it down, Allah is the arabic word meaning simply "God". Believe it or not, it is the same god that Christians and Jews worship but in a different holy book and with a different name. The difference is the language being spoken. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
When a Athiest, Antithiest, or Agnostic says "God bless you" or anything to that effect, It's a colloquialism, not a ritual of the faith.

Quote:
F*&%$! Buddah!
I'm sure they say this in China

Quote:
Allah *%! Son of a *&%#!
And in Muslim countries

I omit God and say "Bless you" when someone sneezes. Out of habit and courtesy.

No biggie.

Peace!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 AM

282 posts, read 1,264,247 times
As far as the topic at hand is concerned......my Mom always used to say "Contrary to popular belief, God's last name is not damnit". She said she heard that somewhere and she just liked saying.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Marka; 05-01-2007 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: the post you're quoteing / replying to has been removed

Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Son of a *&%#!
Ok you must be using a different word here but how is the proper term for female dog taking the Lord's name in vain?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Ok you must be using a different word here but how is the proper term for female dog taking the Lord's name in vain?
It is about the attitude of the heart when someone is using the word. We all know that the words I've bleeped out are used when we are angry, extremely frustrated etc. So it is the attitude of the heart when someone is saying these words.

And Roberto, I really like the topic you're talking about. Very interesting...would you create a new thread to discuss that one so we can stay on topic? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It is about the attitude of the heart when someone is using the word. We all know that the words I've bleeped out are used when we are angry, extremely frustrated etc. So it is the attitude of the heart when someone is saying these words.

And Roberto, I really like the topic you're talking about. Very interesting...would you create a new thread to discuss that one so we can stay on topic? Thanks!
So you are saying that the words don't matter it's the attitude in our heart that does? So no matter what I yell I am taking the Lord's name in vain? That is not the teachings I received growing up, we were taught that you actually had to use the Lord's name in a derrogotory way. Not saying that speaking vulgar in any form is right or ok, just don't think it's taking the Lord's name in vain unless you specifically do.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
So you are saying that the words don't matter it's the attitude in our heart that does? So no matter what I yell I am taking the Lord's name in vain? That is not the teachings I received growing up, we were taught that you actually had to use the Lord's name in a derrogotory way. Not saying that speaking vulgar in any form is right or ok, just don't think it's taking the Lord's name in vain unless you specifically do.
It is both. The words and the attitude. If I said it incorrectly in my previous post then I didn't write it correctly.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:23 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I makes me sick to hear God's name taken in vain. I always people not to say that in my presence, because that name means something to me. I don't like to hear people say "Oh Jesus" in a flip way either. In fact I don't cursing at all ever for any reason. I always want to say don't you know a better way to get your point across. I guess a lot of people are not taught this at home and grew up with parents talking like that. Luke 6:45 "A good person produces good deeds from a good heart and an evil person produces evil deeds from an evil heart. Whatever is in your HEART determines what you say".

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I makes me sick to hear God's name taken in vain. I always people not to say that in my presence, because that name means something to me. I don't like to hear people say "Oh Jesus" in a flip way either. In fact I don't cursing at all ever for any reason. I always want to say don't you know a better way to get your point across. I guess a lot of people are not taught this at home and grew up with parents talking like that. Luke 6:45 "A good person produces good deeds from a good heart and an evil person produces evil deeds from an evil heart. Whatever is in your HEART determines what you say".
I don't know where I picked up the phrase (probably from some relative) but when I was six years old I said "I wish that God d#####ed fly would just get out of the house!" because there was an annoying fly in the house that kept buzzing around...well I learned real quick not to ever take the Lord's name in vain again after that! If you could have seen the reaction I got from my grandmother at the time....oh boy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality