Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times

Advertisements

Deuteronomy 22:13-21 says a marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed.
------------------------------------

There are many passages in the Bible that do not hold true today.
Marriage should be for everyone or no one or you could do it the
old fashioned way as stated above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 AM

212 posts, read 572,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Deuteronomy 22:13-21 says a marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed.
------------------------------------

There are many passages in the Bible that do not hold true today.
Marriage should be for everyone or no one or you could do it the
old fashioned way as stated above.
If that was the case nobody would be married

Old 09-20-2009, 02:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
That may well be one of the worst misinterpretations of a Biblical passage ever committed. It has to with honesty and standards. If you cannot read that part of Deuternonomy and see that, then you shouldn't be permitted to post anywhere.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
Default ...

If you can't read Deuteronomy 22:13-21 and understand that it says a marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed then ...hmmm, well I would still let you post but I'd be very reluctant to believe any further of your interpretations.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That may well be one of the worst misinterpretations of a Biblical passage ever committed. It has to with honesty and standards. If you cannot read that part of Deuternonomy and see that, then you shouldn't be permitted to post anywhere.

It says what it says Fred! But it is an uncomfortable verse I know. It is "God's Word" so it must be true! Or is that one of the OT laws that it is okay to ignor now because god is loving and would NEVER tell a man to kill his wife?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:31 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Deuteronomy 22:13 If any man take a wife, and go in unto her, and hate her,

:14 And give occasions of speech against her, and bring up an evil name upon her, and say, I took this woman, and when I came to her, I found her not a maid:

:15 Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate:

:16 And the damsel's father shall say unto the elders, I gave my daughter unto this man to wife, and he hateth her;

:17 And, lo, he hath given occasions of speech against her, saying, I found not thy daughter a maid; and yet these are the tokens of my daughter's virginity. And they shall spread the cloth before the elders of the city.

:18 And the elders of that city shall take that man and chastise him;

:19 And they shall amerce him in an hundred shekels of silver, and give them unto the father of the damsel, because he hath brought up an evil name upon a virgin of Israel: and she shall be his wife; he may not put her away all his days.

:20 But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:

:21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the w-h-o-r-e in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.

:22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.
To my reading this passage, I can find no mention of 'valid'.

From this passage it became the custom for the bride's family to wait outside during the couple's first night, to rush in and to take the bedsheets, and to present them to the village, as proof of their daughter's former virginity. And to perhaps spread some chicken blood onto those sheets along the way to make the stain larger.

Really the reasoning is laid out in verse 21b "... because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the w-h-o-r-e in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you."

It does not say anything about the marriage being in-valid, but that being a w-h-o-r-e is evil and it must be put away from Israel.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Or is that one of the OT laws that it is okay to ignor now because god is loving and would NEVER tell a man to kill his wife?
Well, you know how that goes. People do tend to pick and choose between what they'll follow and what they'll ignore. As regards the Bible, I don't think it was intended to be a multiple choice quiz. But there might be differing opinions about that!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 67,359 times
Hey Fred...

Are you the type of person that believes STOP signs are just a suggestion for you, if no cars are around to see you run it?

It kills me how some religious people will throw out one set of rules from the "BIBLE" and focus on others that really have no bearing on life in this day and age. (i.e. Deuteronomy 22:13-21)

Admittedly, I'm not a Bible expert but if the Bible says a woman needs to prove that she is a virgin with a bloody cloth (assuming her husband no longer like her) then I question what Bible says and choose to realize that people were not all civilized when the Bible was written.

Check out some of these passages of Bible:
(Deuteronomy 22:10) " 'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death." -- Think of all those narrow minded politicians who have slept with another married woman. If the Bible says, put them to death then why don't we do that? BECAUSE IT WOULD BE UNCIVILIZED!

And check out these FABULOUS HEAD TURNERS for those who like to say that:
(Leviticus 20:9)"For everyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death. He has cursed his father or his mother. His blood shall be upon him." --Uh Oh...I hope you never did that.

(Leviticus 25:44-45)"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property." --It appears we have finally gotten away from this in the USA. Why is that?

(Leviticus 19:27)"Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard." --Uh-Oh! I hope you did not get your hair cut or shave.

(Leviticus 11:7)"...and the swine, though it divides the hoof, having cloven hooves, yet does not chew the cud, is unclean to you." --Have you eaten any bacon lately? I personally can't stand pork but to each their own. I won't judge YOU if you eat it but you believe all that is in the Bible, not me.

(Leviticus 11:10)"But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you." --All people that have ever eaten at Red Lobster are in trouble now!

And of course...the way it should be written on all election ballots:
(Deuteronomy 22:13) ''If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." --Do you really think that gays still should not be allowed to marry after reading all of the above STUPID INTERPRETATIONS OF THE BIBLE?

FACT: The Bible was written when the world was considered flat. Guess what...it's not!

FACT: The Bible was originally written long after Jesus' death. (I would imagine that you could not write an accurate account of your own life of what you did and said verbatim yesterday let alone what you did a year ago. Remember, if you attempt this, all quotes of all people mentioned would have to be 101% VERBATIM...just like the Bible.)

FACT: The Bible has been written and re-written over a dozen times leaving a lot of the information to be here-say. (Remember playing telephone as a kid where you whisper a sentence into someone's ear and you go around the circle and the last person blurts out something hilarious which was not the original sentence?)

FACT: It was written by more than a dozen people and their interpretations of their life and the life of Christ. (Psssst, hence all the contradictions in it. IS THIS SINKING IN YET?)

FACT: The Bible is not to be interpreted word for word or we would have to stone you for being stupid.

If you are going to respond to this post, I will guess you will quote another passage from the Bible that will conveniently defend your position or you will say I will burn and need to repent...or something like that. It would be wonderful if i was wrong and you would actually admit that the BIBLE is based upon some facts but blown out of proportion.

I'm done for now.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:46 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVENinMIAMI
... FACT: The Bible was written when the world was considered flat. Guess what...it's not!
Really?

Even though the Bible makes references to different time zones?

By the time of C. Columbus many math whizzes had proven the world to be round, but the deep blue sea is a scary place and few had the courage to venture out that far. I don't blame them.

Quote:
... FACT: The Bible was originally written long after Jesus' death. (I would imagine that you could not write an accurate account of your own life of what you did and said verbatim yesterday let alone what you did a year ago. Remember, if you attempt this, all quotes of all people mentioned would have to be 101% VERBATIM...just like the Bible.)
So the Essenes [who pre-dated Jesus], who made copying the holy books their focus, really did not exist?

Because as you say those books did not exist?

What about all of the archeology that shows they did exist?

Quote:
... FACT: The Bible has been written and re-written over a dozen times leaving a lot of the information to be here-say. (Remember playing telephone as a kid where you whisper a sentence into someone's ear and you go around the circle and the last person blurts out something hilarious which was not the original sentence?)
sigh

Yes, dozens of monasteries exist and have existed for millennia where they copy and re-copy the texts. Because as the texts age, the page decomposes. So to continue to exist it must be copied.

There is a very detailed system where each page is laid out. The Vertical columns of letters are numbered as a CRC, and the horizontal rows of letters are numbered as a CRC. As a method of ensuring accuracy.

And any smugs, or cross-outs meant the entire page had to be burned, and done again.

Quote:
... FACT: It was written by more than a dozen people and their interpretations of their life and the life of Christ. (Psssst, hence all the contradictions in it. IS THIS SINKING IN YET?)
I am not sure, ...

Where are you going with this?

Quote:
... FACT: The Bible is not to be interpreted word for word or we would have to stone you for being stupid.
Why?

Quote:
... I'm done for now.
Okay fine

Have a nice life.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:20 AM

5 posts, read 67,359 times
Why is this crazy as **** book that telling us being gay, eating Pork, seeing a woman's flow, eating shell fish, and owning slaves so widely used to spit on gays? It's just f---ed up! One has to cherry pick what one believes in this book. Our own prejudices allows us to use what we like and what we dont like. My main opinion is that if gays have been reportedly around for over 10,000+ years then it's a normal occurrence in humanity and should be treated as such.

Now back to your responses to me:
You wrote:
"Even though the Bible makes references to different time zones?"

Where does the Bible talk about time zones and what does that have to do with the fact people believed the world was flat? People believed the world was flat long after the Bible was written! If the bible talks about time zones then it is safe to assume that people believed that the sun came up on one side of the FLAT world and moved across to the other side of the FLAT world. Oh...that's right...the world really is not flat and the people who wrote the big book were clueless there.

You wrote:
"So the Essenes [who pre-dated Jesus], who made copying the holy books their focus, really did not exist?"

I do not doubt that the Essenes existed. BTW...I never made any mention of Essenes in my post, so to say that I said:
"Because as you say those books did not exist?"...IT IS NOT TRUE TO SAY THAT I SAID THAT SINCE I DID NOT! So don't make me a liar to make yourself look good. Is that a sin to lie, by the way?

You wrote:
"sigh...Yes, dozens of monasteries exist and have existed for millennia where they copy and re-copy the texts. Because as the texts age, the page decomposes. So to continue to exist it must be copied."

Imagine the misinterpretations that existed as modern languages (plural) were trying to TRANSLATE stories that were left up to interpretation to begin with.

Anyhow..my point is, someone can write a paragraph stating that GOD said to me that straight people should be stoned for eating at RED LOBSTER (i.e. shellfish). But does it mean it's true? I mean, come on!

I could go on and on but try to answer these questions before writing anything else:
-Is is it a sin to lie?
-Have you ever eaten pork?
-Have you ever eaten any shellfish like, shrimp, crabs or lobsters?
-Have you ever gotten a haircut or shaved?
-Have you ever had sex with a woman while menstruating?
-Have you ever told someone something one day and they tell someone thinking it was the same thing but completely distorted?
-How many biblical sins have you committed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality