Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:03 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,215,325 times

Advertisements

I've read in a number of posts that the criteria for heaven is to be a good person - it doesn't really matter what you believe. However, I'm really curious about the yardstick for this goodness. Exactly how 'good' do you have to be? Who determines whether a person is good enough? Does it take one sin or a thousand before you are disqualified?

I'm not being disingenuous, I've truly never entertained this idea before and would love to see the reasoning behind it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM

314 posts, read 2,540,505 times
Romans 3:23
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 5:19
For just as through the disobedience of the one man (Adam) the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man (Jesus) the many will be made righteous.

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:30 PM

9 posts, read 27,261 times
No one can be 'good enough' for Heaven -- no one... good works will not get you into Heaven - we could never do enough good to earn our way there -
We do not deserve to be saved - only through Grace are we saved the sacrifice of Jesus Christ paid the price for our sin - He is the way to Heaven, one one gets to the Father except through Christ...
But once a person is saved - he should want to do good deeds, he should want to do the Lord's will in his life...

Old 05-01-2007, 07:34 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,403,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerhardt View Post
No one can be 'good enough' for Heaven -- no one... good works will not get you into Heaven - we could never do enough good to earn our way there -
We do not deserve to be saved - only through Grace are we saved the sacrifice of Jesus Christ paid the price for our sin - He is the way to Heaven, one one gets to the Father except through Christ...
But once a person is saved - he should want to do good deeds, he should want to do the Lord's will in his life...
Excellent post! I agree. If being good was enough, then Jesus would have died for nothing.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks to the posters so far....however what you had to say is what I've always believed. I've never entertained the idea that just being good got you into heaven. I find that fascinating and would love to hear those who have posted this to expound on their reasons for this belief. To be honest, it confuses me.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 PM

36,432 posts, read 16,041,106 times
Persons who are saved, still sin. There are no perfect people. I question if I am "good enough." Only god knows for sure. We should all try to be in the likeness of Him but there is sin everywhere, in everyone. Have you ever, smoked, drank, stolen, cheated, lied, danced, listened to rock and roll, cursed? Of course we have, are we good enough? It is only through the grace of God that we are good enough. Wait, there is no good enough, what is that? Is it perfect. No one is perfect. Striving for perfection. I don't strive for perfection, I stirve for inner peace and good will towards others.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Thanks to the posters so far....however what you had to say is what I've always believed. I've never entertained the idea that just being good got you into heaven. I find that fascinating and would love to hear those who have posted this to expound on their reasons for this belief. To be honest, it confuses me.
Ephesians 2:8-9"For by grace you have been saved though faith and that not of yourself, it is a gift of God. Not as a result of works that no one should boast".

Isaish 64:6 " We are all infected and impure with sin. When we proudly display our righteous deeds we find they are but filthy rags, like autumn leaves we wither and fall and our sins like the wind sweep us away".

No good deed or work can help us obtain salvation. God's intention is that our salvation will result in acts of service.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:11 PM

Thanks guys, but I'm still waiting to hear from those nonChristians who believe this. I know why I believe it's not true, but I would really like to hear why they base their eternity on this assumption. I'm not interested in debating them about it, I just want to hear their reasoning for their belief.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Thanks guys, but I'm still waiting to hear from those nonChristians who believe this. I know why I believe it's not true, but I would really like to hear why they base their eternity on this assumption. I'm not interested in debating them about it, I just want to hear their reasoning for their belief.
Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I miss read your post

Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I miss read your post
No problem....love to hear all responses. But am here to learn how others think about this subject! Have a blessed evening! BTW...I love NC, too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality