Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:05 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,378,153 times

Advertisements

I thought it might make a nice thread to share incredibly nice things people have done for us. There is always so much negative stuff to read it might make a nice change to share the positive. Here is something that happened to me a few years ago:

I drove 45 minutes in the rain to a doctor appointment with my two year old in the car only to discover that I had been mixed up on the appointment time and was an hour early for my appointment. Wanting to kill time I drove into a nearby strip mall and decided to pull into the McDonald's drive thru since I had skipped breakfast. As I pulled up to the drive thru lane another car came from the other direction and even though I was there first I waved them to go ahead of me. I usually make sure I have money first but for some reason I just went ahead and ordered two egg mcmuffins and after ordering as I drove around I started to get my change together. I soon realized I didn't have enough money and pulled up to the window embarrassed to tell the worker that I was sorry but to cancel my order. As I opened my window and started to talk she said "It's taken care of." I said "What do you mean?" and she explained to me that the car in front of me had paid for my order. She said that the person always paid for the car behind her. What a blessing that was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 04:17 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
I pulled up to a gas station one time while working. There were a couple of ladies standing next to a youth group van out front.

I didn't think twice about it, but I pulled up to the pump, and started getting ready to pump my gas. One of the ladies (not bad looking I might add) walked over to me, and said that her youth group was paying for the next 100 people to get to the stations gas.

This was about a year ago now, so gas was really high then.

It was super cool, but I turned her down. As my company gives me a work truck, and pays for the gas, I figured there were other folks out there that needed the gas worse than myself.

On a side note, I got a phone number out of the deal to

Old 10-04-2009, 06:18 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
I have experienced many moments when people have reached out unexpectedly & unselfishly.

A Christmas tree that was donated to the kindergarten class was given to us on the last day of school before the holiday - 1991. A doctor who slipped a twenty into my pocket when he knew my small children & I were hungry & waiting for my son to be treated in the ER for his viral pneumonia - 1991. People who made sure we had food or gas when unfortunate circumstances came about 1987, '88, '89 '04. A motel room for one night free after a tragic death in our family - so we could get away for at least one night - '04.

A lot of people helped me through the most difficult times. Some were family but some were strangers or people we barely knew, as well. So far, I haven't had tons of opportunities to pay it forward, but I'm working on it. Mostly, we donate clothes & things to the Mission, and tip the gas attendants, instead of buying coffee out & tipping baristas.

It's time I start volunteering to get more up to speed on paying it forward. I can best repay it by helping families in trouble.

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-04-2009 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: more succinct

Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,567,214 times
A few years back a storm knocked out the power where I'm at. I use a BiPap at night as I have diminished lung capacity. People really gathered together to get me a generator so I could get the thing working. Also this Mormon friend of my brother's drove down and really helped out all my relatives down here.

Then there was this policeman who gave me books when I was in a big city ICU. (Bear in mind "big city" to me includes any of the 40 largest metropolitan areas) Or the doctor who saved me from the horrible hospital I'd been at before that and got me transferred to the big city one. Many other things I'm sure.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,167,336 times
Most people do nice things for people every day. But doing "incredibly" nice thing.. you don't see that every day.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
As I opened my window and started to talk she said "It's taken care of." I said "What do you mean?" and she explained to me that the car in front of me had paid for my order. She said that the person always paid for the car behind her. What a blessing that was!
How did she manage to do that when she wouldn't have known what the people behind her were going to order??

Old 10-05-2009, 03:28 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
How did she manage to do that when she wouldn't have known what the people behind her were going to order??

Yeah: any clue?

To save space.... having seen your response down below -v - Oh! Thanks for the heads up, Sandhillian!*smiley sighs happily*

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 10-05-2009 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: got here in time to save space!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,378,153 times
I guess she just said she wanted to pay for the next car also. I would have ordered by the time she got to the pay window.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I guess she just said she wanted to pay for the next car also. I would have ordered by the time she got to the pay window.
Yeah, I never thought of that. You can tell I've never been to a drive through burger place!!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:38 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I truly believe that there is goodness in just about everyone and I see it daily no matter where I go. Many times the goodness of other people has fed me, clothed me, given me a blanket when I was cold and gas money when I was far from home. I have been blessed by the comfort of a stranger as I sat in a hospital waiting room while my grandson fought for his life in the next room.

That same grandson came yesterday with a gift of a crystal angel. Then he maneuvered his electric wheelchair to the back yard, hooked his elbow around the handle and finished mowing the grass for me..and I thought of the goodness of all the people who made this moment happen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality