Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:04 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,011,268 times

Advertisements

I stumbled across this article. If you're interested in reading it in it's entirety, please click on this link:
Probe Ministries - Bridging to Common Ground: Communicating Christ Across the Cultural Divide
The book in which he gives reference, is:
"Finding Common Ground: How to Communicate with Those Outside the Christian Community…While We Still Can" by Tim Downs.

I thought this to be very interesting reading. We all know that we "Can't preach to the choir" so to speak, but I thought this excerpt gave some very important biblical views/tools for effective witnessing.

This is only an excerpt from the site. I have bold faced what I thought to be most relevant in the case you don't want to read it ALL.
HOWEVER, if at all possible, I would encourage you to read it in it's entirety!

Becoming All Things to All People

I first heard of Dale{7} when he spoke to parents at our kids’ Christian school. I marvelled that he and his wife—both in their 40s—along with their three girls would pack up their middle-class home, leave a thriving youth pastorate in a Baptist church and take up residence in the grungiest, hippest part of Dallas, Texas. When I met with Dale down in Deep Ellum, I could feel the gaping divide between my suburban existence and the urban alternative, Bohemian art-music district scene he’d adopted.

When a couple of 20-something chicks interrupted our meal, I was annoyed that he left me hanging for some time. But Dale’s apology stopped me short in my own self-absorption. He and his wife had befriended one of the gals, a bartender, and were seeking to slowly, carefully build a relationship with her without scaring her off. And it was working. She had noticed the non-confrontational yet uncompromising difference in this loving Christian couple and asked about it. Now, when she introduces these “Christian friends,” she openly initiates conversations about spiritual things with rank unbelievers. There’s no threat felt, but plenty of curiosity.

The Apostle Paul wrote, “…I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.”{8} To use the hackneyed phrase, “Walk a mile in their shoes”—even if the shoes are foul (some punkers don't do hygiene) or not your style.

When I researched the band with the sacreligious name on the T-shirts, I was introduced to a subculture that not only was foreign to me, but one that actively alienates itself from the larger culture. Part of a movement called anarcho-crust punk, this particular band is known for blasphemous rants. Counter-cultural lifestyle, vile language, themes of death, filth and anti-religious, -conservative and -capitalist identity politics all mark this underworld of dark lostness.

To bridge across cultural canyons—even such a radical one—to begin on common ground with those outside the Chritian community, we need to:

• adopt a bridging mentality—think of outreach as a process and pass your perspective on

• avoid fueling intolerant stereotypes and show genuine, biblical tolerance

• don’t burn bridges—avoid unnecessary confrontation but rather persuade by modeling uncompromising love and concern along with truth

• remember from where you fell and recall who the Enemy really is—“our struggle is not against flesh and blood”{9}

• cultivate, sow, harvest and begin again. Patiently use art and subtle, effective communications{10}

• relate genuinely: share your own foibles, ask sincerely about their anger and pain

• wait on God’s timing, but don’t fail to offer the gospel and help them grasp faith

For those called to “go native” to bridge across cultural divides, one couple reaching out in the London music-arts district serves as a model. In a four-hour conversation with a Londoner deep into the local scene—a definite unbeliever who knew of the couples’ Christian commitments—the husband was asked:

“What do you think of homosexuality?”

After thoughtfully pausing, he deferred, “Well, I’d prefer to not share that with you.”

“Why not?”

“Because I believe my view on that will offend you and I don’t want to do that; you’re my friend.”{11}

Compromise? Wimpiness? No. Curiosity caused the non-Christian to ask again some time later, to which the believer responded gently, “As I said, I don’t want to offend you, but since you asked again….” His reply led to Jesus Christ Himself. His biblical response evoked a thoughtful, “Oh…now I’m glad you warned me. That is very different from my opinion.” The message was heard and respected. The relationship, still intact, grew in breadth and depth and led to a fuller witness.

Our London-based missionary took care, as a vinedresser, not to bruise the unripe fruit. His eventual impact with the life-changing good news of Christ was made possible by the patience and love he balanced with the hard truth. He and his wife, an accomplished musician, now have high-level contacts in this London subculture.

I’m taking mental notes and rereading Downs’ important book for some really useful and specific strategies for bridging to common ground with those “alien” to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Interesting perspective, kawg. I am familiar with Deep Ellum in Dallas. It is a very edgy area. My pastor and some other guys used to go down there every Friday night witnessing. They apparently saw hundreds of people saved down there over a period of several years.

Not all of us are going to be going down and adopting the cultural style of Deep Ellum (and places like it) but we could all take some lessons about how to relate to others who are soooo unlike ourselves in order to share the gospel.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,606 times
I agree. We need to meet people where they are. We can't expect them to see a need for something if we don't make it relevant to them.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
Good post Kawg! I remember times when I tried to witness to various people, and the effort was a total 100% failure. Why? For one thing: I did not relate to them, nor them to me. No communication....nothing in common.
Perhaps it would have turned out differently....if I had first taken the time to pray...for wisdom...
I think somewhere in the Bible (Proverbs?) it says "and with all your getting, get wisdom...". So true: without God...we can do NOTHING; and our efforts will be in vain.

Bud

Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,274,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Good post Kawg! I remember times when I tried to witness to various people, and the effort was a total 100% failure. Why? For one thing: I did not relate to them, nor them to me. No communication....nothing in common.
Perhaps it would have turned out differently....if I had first taken the time to pray...for wisdom...
I think somewhere in the Bible (Proverbs?) it says "and with all your getting, get wisdom...". So true: without God...we can do NOTHING; and our efforts will be in vain.

Bud
I agree! Prayer and dependence on God is important. It's His work!
I have found out that to be friendly and being a good listener can lead to people opening up their hearts. "Being friendly" is on most people's level! Be interested in them, don't think that they have to be interested in you or force a message on them. After all, I'm sure Christ stood out from the people around Him in a sense, however people were drawn to Him because of His care and concern. We need to be on people's level, however not stoop below the level of Christ, compromising our principles. IMO a Christian doesn't need to pretend to be something they are not while trying to witness... this will surely show through. There should be something about us that makes us approachable.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,756,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
We need to be on people's level, however not stoop below the level of Christ, compromising our principles. IMO a Christian doesn't need to pretend to be something they are not while trying to witness... this will surely show through.
Excellent point! You took the thought right out of my head.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:58 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,011,268 times
You have all made some wonderful points here!

I think it is very important for us to find some kind of common ground where we can speak and react with people on a different level than our own (Of course, sometimes that could have an adverse effect if they happen to be more knowledgeable than we are, which is why knowing God's Word is important lol ).

Old 08-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
You have all made some wonderful points here!

I think it is very important for us to find some kind of common ground where we can speak and react with people on a different level than our own (Of course, sometimes that could have an adverse effect if they happen to be more knowledgeable than we are, which is why knowing God's Word is important lol ).
This brings to mind a question... what is our level? I think we know what we are talking about, but are we really "on a different level"? Will we have to constantly adjust our levels for many different people? Or should we just have a "standard" level that everyone can relate to?

Old 08-29-2007, 02:20 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,747,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
This brings to mind a question... what is our level? I think we know what we are talking about, but are we really "on a different level"? Will we have to constantly adjust our levels for many different people? Or should we just have a "standard" level that everyone can relate to?
I think, for me, that when I really feel led to witness to someone, the Holy Spirit takes over and actually the deliverance of the message..or should I say, me, the messenger is just required be willing...IMHO..thats the way it has worked for me anyway

Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I think, for me, that when I really feel led to witness to someone, the Holy Spirit takes over and actually the deliverance of the message..or should I say, me, the messenger is just required be willing...IMHO..thats the way it has worked for me anyway
Good point! (actually, the most important point of all!) The Holy Spirit will open the door, and tell us what to say, and when to say it.. It doesn't work to have a speech prepared.

Last edited by cg81; 08-29-2007 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality