Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times

Advertisements

2Ch 34:27 Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard [thee] also, saith the LORD.

Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord. (Echo)
And He will lift you up, higher and higher.
And He will lift you up.
How do you humble yourself before an unknown entity?

Is the whole concept of humility merely a guilt trip purported by the church to keep the flock in subjection to their will or is this a real trait? The reason I ask is that most xian posts I read here and elsewhere online, the folk seem pretty arrogant.

When we look at the alternative, it makes more sense, insecurity. Folk are scared of the future and have bought into a doom and gloom picture wherein only the second coming of (a likely fictitious) Jesus will sort out all the problems of humanity. People fall for a group think not only in religion but also in politics and likely in the workplace too. Folk tend to rally around a popular personae.

The question is in this scenario, what is keeping Jesus from say stopping hunger in Africa or even something like AIDS? Furthermore, if you are his disciples, why is it that you lot generally tend not to represent his teachings in anyway whatsoever? Could it be (if it were true) that you lot would be in the "I knew you not.." category? After all, I do not know of any atheists casting out demons or doing any works in the name of Jesus.

As for popularity, Jesus was an outlier and non conformist, pretty much like us heathen atheists of the modern era.

Did he not say "the truth will set you free"? Why then do you kick against the goads and willfully deny logic and evidence aka truth? What are you set free of in your interpretation?

Comments and opinions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,026,409 times
I humble myself by being responsible for my own actions. I humble myself by being a child of God and try to portray His love onto others. I humble myself by being me.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:43 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,798,703 times
I humble myself before God by realizing that without Him, I am nothing...

Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
OK, and since every bit of reason and common sense I have tells me that your gawd is purely an over hyped character in an urban legend, and does not nor has ever existed, how should I view you as a reasoning functional person?

Old 10-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
OK, and since every bit of reason and common sense I have tells me that your gawd is purely an over hyped character in an urban legend, and does not nor has ever existed, how should I view you as a reasoning functional person?
Maybe you're wrong. You certainly are disrespectful.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Maybe you're wrong. You certainly are disrespectful.
Who is that disrespectful to? Certainly not you, so I guess you are saying that it is disrespectful to something that we don't believe exists...

Old 10-09-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Who is that disrespectful to? Certainly not you, so I guess you are saying that it is disrespectful to something that we don't believe exists...
"gawd" is disrespectful to all Christians.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,908 times
You mean that a lot of Christians aren't following the original tenants of their faith, or following the teachings of the fellow they say they are following? God forbid!

I think it's said quite often, because it is true, that Christianity would be much nicer religion if they actually followed the teachings attributed to Jesus.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
2Ch 34:27 Because thine heart was tender, and thou didst humble thyself before God, when thou heardest his words against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, and humbledst thyself before me, and didst rend thy clothes, and weep before me; I have even heard [thee] also, saith the LORD.

And He will lift you up, higher and higher.
And He will lift you up.
How do you humble yourself before an unknown entity?

Is the whole concept of humility merely a guilt trip purported by the church to keep the flock in subjection to their will or is this a real trait? The reason I ask is that most xian posts I read here and elsewhere online, the folk seem pretty arrogant.

When we look at the alternative, it makes more sense, insecurity. Folk are scared of the future and have bought into a doom and gloom picture wherein only the second coming of (a likely fictitious) Jesus will sort out all the problems of humanity. People fall for a group think not only in religion but also in politics and likely in the workplace too. Folk tend to rally around a popular personae.

The question is in this scenario, what is keeping Jesus from say stopping hunger in Africa or even something like AIDS? Furthermore, if you are his disciples, why is it that you lot generally tend not to represent his teachings in anyway whatsoever? Could it be (if it were true) that you lot would be in the "I knew you not.." category? After all, I do not know of any atheists casting out demons or doing any works in the name of Jesus.

As for popularity, Jesus was an outlier and non conformist, pretty much like us heathen atheists of the modern era.

Did he not say "the truth will set you free"? Why then do you kick against the goads and willfully deny logic and evidence aka truth? What are you set free of in your interpretation?

Comments and opinions
Actually, you are right about the early Christians and atheism... not that they didn't believe in God but it is said that the Christians had no church or idol and were given to believing in strange things, so they were persecuted for being atheists... Ironic!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:56 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Quote:
This type humility is what I was hinting at.

Remember in Highlander when Kurgen kisses the priests hand and says "Forgive me father, I am but a worm"?

The xian opposite of humility is the "sin of pride", whatever that means. I could never figure out how pride can be a sin.

Jimmie, you are a person in your own right. How can you be a nothing? Am I to infer that w/o belief in your deity, your whole world would come crumbling down? People who are depressed or drug addicts believe that they cannot do w/o their daily fix.

Who told you you were worthless? That is what I read into your being nothing w/o god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality