Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,930 times

Advertisements

What happened to the discussion of scientists who believe in God?

The list includes some of the world's greatest minds, like Isaac Newton, Nicholas Copernicus, Johannes Kepler, and even Albert Einstein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post

The list includes some of the world's greatest minds, like Isaac Newton, Nicholas Copernicus, Johannes Kepler, and even Albert Einstein.
Einstein was Atheist, as are the majority of modern scientists. Copernicus work for the Catholic Church, I personally question if he was religious or just did what he had to do to avoid being killed by the church.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,042 times
Quote:

Was Albert Einstein Religious? | Was Einstein Jewish, Christian, a Theist, a Deist, an Agnostic or an Atheist? | Clockbackward Essays
Einstein’s attitudes toward religion illustrate how cautious we must be when claiming that we understand another person’s opinion. Beliefs are sometimes complex, subtle, vague, or ambiguously articulated, and of course they can change dramatically with time. In this case, it is only after reading a great many quotes that we get a good feeling for what Einstein truly believed. By incautiously or unscrupulously quoting Einstein without proper context, as many have done before, we could easily have made him sound like a Jew, Christian, Atheist, Agnostic, Theist or Pantheist, but none of these labels seems to fully capture the subtlety of his thoughts. Oh yeah, and by the way, when Einstein said:
“When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute–and it’s longer than an hour. That’s relativity.”

Old 10-15-2009, 07:42 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
I am sure when Richard Dawkins is gone you will search for an obscure statement and list him as a closet Christian also. I read quotes from Jefferson, Adams, Lincoln, Washington, Einstein, and many others trying to give a view of their take on religion and in some cases Christianity. I think religion will turn the letters and statements upside down to fine another statement hidden in the statement. It is like playing music backwards to hear a message from Satan. It is just incomprehensible how you interpret their direct statements.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:34 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:

I won't debatethe beliefs of these men, but I know that they were not all believers
Well if this is a numbers game you lose.....How about taking a leap into science in this century....What do you think the ratio of scientists that believe vs those that don't is today?....I love how you fundies have to reach way back in the history books to when it was almost a crime to disbelieve to cherry pick your examples...

News flash....This is the twenty first century and things have changed.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Not sure if it was mentioned but Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin believed in god.

Newton was fascinated by alchemy and believed the bible held a secret code that gave the date for the end of the world (2060, get ready )

Darwin was Unitarian; he belived god still created everything and was in control of of the evolutionary process.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:09 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned but Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin believed in god.

Newton was fascinated by alchemy and believed the bible held a secret code that gave the date for the end of the world (2060, get ready )

Darwin was Unitarian; he belived god still created everything and was in control of of the evolutionary process.
From what I have read on him, Darwin denounced the bible and in the end did not believe in a God.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:48 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Scientific dogma is that science is always right and when the science is wrong...well...things must be re-worded so that, you guessed it, the science was right all along.
You ever stopped to consider that you're really just your own special brand of fundy?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

You know this how?

Historian Stephen D. Snobelen says of Newton, "Isaac Newton was a heretic. But ... he never made a public declaration of his private faith — which the orthodox would have deemed extremely radical. He hid his faith so well that scholars are still unravelling his personal beliefs.

"I think that generally ... an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind.”....Charles Darwin

Old 10-15-2009, 10:00 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You know this how?

Historian Stephen D. Snobelen says of Newton, "Isaac Newton was a heretic. But ... he never made a public declaration of his private faith — which the orthodox would have deemed extremely radical. He hid his faith so well that scholars are still unravelling his personal beliefs.

"I think that generally ... an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind.”....Charles Darwin
Newton's stuff is all over the internet. Here's a good site w/info.

Isaac Newton Theology, Prophecy, Science and Religion

Darwin's religious status was brought up in a college anthropology class of mine a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality