Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:00 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,020,165 times

Advertisements

Atheist after 40 years a Christian Minister

In fact, you can click "testimonials" to the top of the page and read THOUSANDS of stories of people who were former Christians who just could not continue believing the Christian myth anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:23 AM

2,782 posts, read 4,173,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

In fact, you can click "testimonials" to the top of the page and read THOUSANDS of stories of people who were former Christians who just could not continue believing the Christian myth anymore.
So?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,813,960 times
I can't think of the book...but this reminds me of a story that my mom use to read to me, about this guy who hears the Christmas bells and when he gets older, at the end of the book, he talks about how they don't ring for him anymore yet he keeps them in his pocket and they ring for the young still. It's soo sad/sweet! Does anyone know what book I am speaking of?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,843,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
So?
So, I'm always suggesting a read of deconversion stories, not to try to win the numbers count - which is irrelevant anyway - but perhaps to show what it is that makes believers question and in questioning, doubt. I think believers might also get an inkling that the reasons that atheists give for doubting are not hypothetical constructs but are really what happens out there.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM

218 posts, read 311,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
I can't think of the book...but this reminds me of a story that my mom use to read to me, about this guy who hears the Christmas bells and when he gets older, at the end of the book, he talks about how they don't ring for him anymore yet he keeps them in his pocket and they ring for the young still. It's soo sad/sweet! Does anyone know what book I am speaking of?
Wow, so that' it when you die one day nothing happens to you. Good luck! "I still and will believe to the day I die"

Old 10-23-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightinsky View Post
Wow, so that' it when you die one day nothing happens to you. Good luck! "I still and will believe to the day I die"
not sure what you mean by this, I'm just saying it's kind of sad/and sweet....I guess you have to read the story. Your missing part of it, he holds on to the bells. He misses that magic, but it's still with him in some way. And he catches a glimpse of it's beauty through the eyes of others who still hear the bells. It's a great story. He didn't choose to stop hearing the bells, maybe he did indirectly through the hustle and bustle of life's choices, but he didn't want the music to go away. And he holds onto the instrument, he wants it to play again, but if not for him, he sees it play for others.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:58 AM

776 posts, read 1,278,361 times
Quote:

I wonder if there has ever been someone who had no faith for 40 years and then became a believer?

Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,702,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I wonder if there has ever been someone who had no faith for 40 years and then became a believer?
Who cares? In fact, who cares either way? Just don't try to share your religion with me, or force it into our laws. And for gods' sake, don't come knocking on my door with your "message".

Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 AM

People care because it is a matter of reassurance that people think like you, socially acceptable, surrounded by like minds. Ideally you don't care, these are the great initial thinkers of the world and also the most shunned though. There's great comfort in blending, something you don't realize till you are well, not necessarily a great thinker, but thinking differently. Which I suppose has an element of greatness sometimes, despite the thought. But people look for assurance that they are not alone in what they perceive. Likeness is a great motivator for gathering.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,941,104 times
Quote:
Obviously he wasn't a "real" Christian.

Real Christians never deconvert. They just hang around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality