Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 AM

160 posts, read 342,611 times

Advertisements

What would be your 3 questions to an atheist and 3 questions to a christian that are impossible to answer and therefore show that their belief is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
I have only one question: why try to disprove the belief or disbelief of anyone?

I'm secure enough in my lack of belief of religious dieties that I don't feel a need to disprove Christians and their belief in Jesus and God. Why try to belittle and disprove my lack of belief in it?

Why limit it to atheists and Christians? What about Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Agnostics?

OP-what would be your questions?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:33 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Neither group seems to be able to provide a useful response to these:

Why not mind your own business?

Why peddle your philosophy like cheap street vendors, or worse yet, try to force it?

Why do you think you know everything about that which lies beyond the limits of human experience and understanding?

Understand, I'm not knocking any philosophy, religion, or lack thereof. I believe you should believe anything you like... without cheerleaders, detractors, or dictators.

As for the second aspect of the OP: I have no desire to prove any religion/philosophy wrong, because I know I can't. Why should I want to? Why should it be important for me to do so? I can't even define the nature of reality. Neither can you.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-09-2009 at 07:50 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
How can you show that they are both wrong, merely because they cannot reply to questions that are impossible to answer?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:50 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,017 times
What bus do I take to get to Cleveland.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM

31 posts, read 53,665 times
How could there ever be three questions to prove Christianity wrong? Everyone knows Jesus loves us all and if Jesus loves us all and God wrote a book about it, how do you prove that wrong? Think about it, people. God wrote a book about Jesus. It's called the Bible, so I don't see what the argument is about.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 AM

53 posts, read 57,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Most of us do. It's when people come knocking on our doors trying to sell us their version of truth that we tend to tell them what we think.

Quote:
Why peddle your philosophy like cheap street vendors, or worse yet, try to force it?
When was the last time an atheist, Buddhist, agnostic, Jew, Muslim, etc knocked on your door, or shoved a flyer into your hand at Wal-mart, or asked you for money, et cetera? It's pretty much the christians that are annoying people with their fanciful dogma.

Quote:
Why do you think you know everything about that which lies beyond the limits of human experience and understanding?
Sorry, only deity-believers do that. The rest of us tend to rely on what science can tell us, and say "we don't know yet" about the rest.

Quote:
Understand, I'm not knocking any philosophy, religion, or lack thereof. I believe you should believe anything you like... without cheerleaders, detractors, or dictators.
You may not think that, but you've got some pretty mistaken ideas about some people that you might want to correct before you shove another foot in your mouth.

Quote:
As for the second aspect of the OP: I have no desire to prove any religion/philosophy wrong, because I know I can't. Why should I want to? Why should it be important for me to do so? I can't even define the nature of reality. Neither can you.
You may not want to learn and grow as a person and as a species, but I sure do. I want science to prove things right or wrong, because that means we're learning something. If we as a species had your attitude, we'd still be primitives living in caves.

Last edited by Brain Candy; 12-09-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 AM

23 posts, read 33,659 times
What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

Wrong question!!! They always seems to know a million of reasons why they need to take care of YOUR business

Old 12-09-2009, 05:15 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Candy View Post
Most of us do. It's when people come knocking on our doors trying to sell us their version of truth that we tend to tell them what we think.

When was the last time an atheist, Buddhist, agnostic, Jew, Muslim, etc knocked on your door, or shoved a flyer into your hand at Wal-mart, or asked you for money, et cetera? It's pretty much the christians that are annoying people with their fanciful dogma.
Maybe the inverted cross on my door keeps them away, but I've NEVER had anyone beating my door down about religion of any kind.

Maybe it's the look of pure evil in my eye, but I've never had anyone of any religion ask me for money or hand me anything at a store.

You have heard of the word 'no,' right? I have. And I've used it on many folks who ask for whatever it is that I choose not to give them. I've never bothered to inquire as to whether they are Christian, atheists, or high priestesses in the First Church of Satan. I don't care what they are. That's their business. They are acting of their own accord. I don't call all Mexicans thieves because one of them robbed a gas station. Do you?

Quote:
Sorry, only deity-believers do that. The rest of us tend to rely on what science can tell us, and say "we don't know yet" about the rest.
I've been trained very well in the "queen of science" (high honors). I trust the "queen of science" because when I need proof of a proposed truth, I can find it or derive it on my own. There are very few absolute mathematical truths beyond the abstract of mathematics; mathematics can only approximate the physical world.

Many branches of science have become subservient whores to political treachery. You put way too much faith in modern science. The basic premise of the scientific method has changed significantly over the past decades. Have you noticed that? Why do you think that is? I choose not to believe absolutely anything that is not absolutely true.

Quote:
You may not think that, but you've got some pretty mistaken ideas about some people that you might want to correct before you shove another foot in your mouth.
I have no mistaken ideas about people. I have no ideas at all about them because they never cease to amaze me. Nothing would surprise me much.

I have not shoved any foot into my mouth. You have simply reduced yourself to personal attack in lieu of discussing the proposed topic. I am not the topic and neither is my foot. If you want to discuss my foot, start a thread about it. They are fine feet, I might add. Personal attack does not address the issue. It's simply another logical fallacy that is passed off as legitimate argument these days. It only reduces the discussion to a p**sing match of childish paroxysms. I just got through with one of those matches and have no intention of being involved in another for the time being. It's entertainment value quickly loses its luster.

Quote:
You may not want to learn and grow as a person and as a species, but I sure do. I want science to prove things right or wrong, because that means we're learning something. If we as a species had your attitude, we'd still be primitives living in caves.
Another personal attack. I neither live in a cave nor do I intend to. I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, though. Attacking the personal character or belief of another serves no useful purpose in this discourse.

I have been learning and growing since I was old enough to have my mother teach me to read (right around four years). I have never been afraid of exploring that which lies beyond the capabilities of science. Science applies to measurable and repeatable phenomena within our observable physical world. It falters, and indeed is not applicable, for anything beyond. I do not dispute scientific fact. I just do not enslave myself to it. There's far more to life.

You choose to limit yourself to the confines and mechanics of our physical world; I do not. That's fine for both of us. Not everyone follows the same piper. There are white sheep and there are black sheep; that is the nature of things. Chose your flock and let the others be.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-09-2009 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality