Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,559,690 times

Advertisements

"I am praying that as you seek God, you will find Him. That your quest for wholeness will be filled in Him and that God will reveal His truth to you as you realize that God is NOT a religion, but a relationship through Christ."

This is what a friend wrote to me today, after I explained that I have pulled away from organized religion. I told her that I am learning about Buddhism for its philosophy, but I still believe in God and Jesus Christ. I just don't go to church or follow a particular "path".

This made me think. I never lost God. So, why would I be seeking Him? Is it because I told her I don't believe in organized religion that she thinks I am lost?

I also have a relationship with God. That was never in question. I don't go through Jesus Christ to have a relationship with God. Am I supposed to? When I pray, I pray to God. When I give thanks, I give thanks to God. What am I missing?

I want to respond to her, but I also want to get some input from you kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,894,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"I am praying that as you seek God, you will find Him. That your quest for wholeness will be filled in Him and that God will reveal His truth to you as you realize that God is NOT a religion, but a relationship through Christ."

This is what a friend wrote to me today, after I explained that I have pulled away from organized religion. I told her that I am learning about Buddhism for its philosophy, but I still believe in God and Jesus Christ. I just don't go to church or follow a particular "path".

This made me think. I never lost God. So, why would I be seeking Him? Is it because I told her I don't believe in organized religion that she thinks I am lost?

I also have a relationship with God. That was never in question. I don't go through Jesus Christ to have a relationship with God. Am I supposed to? When I pray, I pray to God. When I give thanks, I give thanks to God. What am I missing?

Reading over her quote, there are parts that I find interesting.

First, the concept of 'God' not being a 'religion' -- I agree with that, isofar as one doesn't have to have a particular religion to accept and follow a 'higher being'.

In hearing someone say that 'God is not religion', the obvious retort ('religion is not God') comes to mind, but that's not productive, or at all germaine to my point, so I'll leave it be.

God is not religion, in the strictest sense; I think 'God' is more a mindset. A particular method of acting and believing. One can believe in 'God' without following a given religion, and they're not 'lost' in the least, rather, they've started to see a clearer path through the forest.

Seprarate the concept of 'God' from that of 'religion', and what you've got is a way of knowing God (whoever you hold him/her/them to be) on your own terms, without trying to wade through the conflict of 'this belief' vs. 'that belief'.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 AM

6,963 posts, read 6,895,568 times
I really do not know why some people cannot just allow everyone to have their own religion/beliefs without trying to tell everyone what is best for them.

Yes, if I had discovered something wonderful, I would want my friends and family to also 'dicover' it. HOWEVER, it may not be right for them and so I probably would allow them to find their own 'discovery' which would be far, far better for them.

This is the problem with the world, we all think we know what is "best" for other people and cannot mind our own business. We have to stick our noses into other people's business and interfere.

However well-meaning it is, there is absolutely no excuse for this.

Thats my rant finished.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:24 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,035,938 times
There are a few things I can talk about from my own perspective.

First, a relationship is between two beings, and involves interaction between the two. A "relationship with God" is a one-sided relationship, talking to something that doesn't respond. The few people who actually do hear their god answering back are generally diagnosed as delusional.

Second, you talk as if Jesus is a different being than God, which would basically mean that your beliefs are polytheistic, unless you don't consider Jesus to be God. A minor clarification, but I always like to point out the ambiguity.

Third, I can see how one can call belief in a god as not a religion, since religion is basically following dogma, and a person can (and often does) create her own definition of god. In that, I salute you on your way to thinking for yourself. But remember, people are still the ones who told you about God and Jesus.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:49 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,559,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
There are a few things I can talk about from my own perspective.

First, a relationship is between two beings, and involves interaction between the two. A "relationship with God" is a one-sided relationship, talking to something that doesn't respond. The few people who actually do hear their god answering back are generally diagnosed as delusional.
This is what I think about even now. I explained to her that I question what can't be proven, what I can't see for myself. But I believe in God and Jesus, though I have never seen them. I have had experiences that science cannot explain, and I am completely sane.

Quote:
Second, you talk as if Jesus is a different being than God, which would basically mean that your beliefs are polytheistic, unless you don't consider Jesus to be God. A minor clarification, but I always like to point out the ambiguity.
I was taught that Jesus was/is the son of God. He is "our Lord and Saviour" but I see God as the one god above all. I can pray to both, but I don't.

Quote:
Third, I can see how one can call belief in a god as not a religion, since religion is basically following dogma, and a person can (and often does) create her own definition of god. In that, I salute you on your way to thinking for yourself. But remember, people are still the ones who told you about God and Jesus.
Exactly, I struggle with that. I trust in my personal faith. I do not trust in people to tell me what it should be or how to exercise it.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
I don't go through Jesus Christ to have a relationship with God. Am I supposed to? When I pray, I pray to God. When I give thanks, I give thanks to God. What am I missing?
To that last question, it really does depend on who you ask! I'm Jewish; I don't go through Jesus Christ, either. That may be why I don't think it's necessary to follow someone else's belief system--even if they tell you you're going to Hell!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,733,935 times
Quote:

A man's true life is the way in which he puts off the lie imposed by others on him. Stripped, naked, natural, he is what he is. This is a matter of being, and not of becoming. The lie cannot become the truth, the personality cannot become your soul. There is no way to make the nonessential the essential. The nonessential remains nonessential and the essential remains essential, they are not convertible. And striving towards truth is nothing but creating more confusion. The truth has not to be achieved. It cannot be achieved, it is already the case. Only the lie has to be dropped. All aims and ends and ideals and goals and ideologies, religions and systems of improvement and betterment, are lies. Beware of them. Recognize the fact that, as you are, you are a lie. Manipulated, cultivated by others. Striving after truth is a distraction and a postponement. It is the lie's way to hide. See the lie, look deep into the lie of your personality. Because to see the lie is to cease to lie. No longer to lie is to seek no more for any truth--there is no need. The moment the lie disappears, truth is there in all its beauty and radiance. In the seeing of the lie it disappears, and what is left is the truth.
Osho <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM

25 posts, read 59,246 times
Quote:
John 14:6 (King James Version)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Yes, you do need to go through Jesus to get to God.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,112,197 times
No, that's just what YOUR religion teaches. I'm sure there's other religions out there that think you've got it all wrong.

As for the question asked: I'd let her go ahead and pray for me, but when/if the prayers don't get answered, I believe she should think about what that might mean.

Last edited by achickenchaser; 08-17-2009 at 01:07 PM..

Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 PM

24 posts, read 49,507 times
I don't know if "God" as people know "Him" exists. I ask in the silence for a sign of his being, but there is no response, no sign, just silence... Why did he create us? Just for his amusement? Does he just sit watching our every move because of his boredom, like the Greek gods? Why is there Satan then? He has to deal with the worst job of all: "******* Customer Service". People create religion, but why? Some probably for comforting, some maybe in boredom. We also know that many people twist religion for power, it becomes gnarled and the followers become uncertain of many things. People use that uncertainty for war an terrorism, saying that that is what their god has demanded that they do. People die because of religion, defending theirs, or making theirs more powerful. You can never know if someone is out there watching and judging your decisions. People who try to convert you or change your opinion are like those terrorists. Why will god only forgive me if I pray? do you really want to worship someone who will send you to hell because you have an opinion? When people go all out zealot in an attempt to make me follow their religion, it only pushes me further away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality