Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times

Advertisements

What is this all about. Seems like every time I see a black minister on television or a poster/billboard there HAS to be some title in front of the name and for some reason, I often get leery when I see it. I often see:

Dr
Bishop
Prophet
Evangelist
Deacon
Prophetess
Pastor (understandably common)
Reverend
Rev
Apostle
Disciple

Is it that important? Furthermore, it is even more disconcerting when you find out that the "Dr" is nothing more than something they picked up on the internet or some flight by night school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
I don't think it's just the black community; I think most people selling religion tries to make themselves seem more legitimate that way.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:42 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Isn't there a Bible passage that forbids us Christians from even using such titles?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:10 AM

388 posts, read 856,162 times
I'm Dr. Plumber!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
An authoritarian religion makes authoritarian men. And sometimes women!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
How often are you seeing these black folks and their titles when they aren't operating in their official capacity?

Where I am from, it's just common respect to address a person by their official title be it Dr (physician, PhD, psychiatrist, theology) Reverend, etc. It doesn't matter if the person is black or white. They will usually correct you if it isn't necessary.

Last edited by CMichele; 11-17-2009 at 10:03 AM..

Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM

66 posts, read 95,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
What is this all about. Seems like every time I see a black minister on television or a poster/billboard there HAS to be some title in front of the name and for some reason, I often get leery when I see it. I often see:

Dr
Bishop
Prophet
Evangelist
Deacon
Prophetess
Pastor (understandably common)
Reverend
Rev
Apostle
Disciple

Is it that important? Furthermore, it is even more disconcerting when you find out that the "Dr" is nothing more than something they picked up on the internet or some flight by night school.
One of the best pastors I ever had just liked to be called Rudy. That's his name. He despied being called Reverend.

My current pastor has a Phd...but we stilll just call him Pastor.

The titles you listed I'm guessing came from what you've seen on tv--the televangelists don't really reflect the averge pastor. The tvguys are more about show than substance so a pretty title (self-appointed no less) lends an air of credibility to them so the flock they're fleecing thinks the are something special.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I don't think it's just the black community; I think most people selling religion tries to make themselves seem more legitimate that way.
I guess it is because I am often mostly around my own black folk so I see it ore often with them.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Isn't there a Bible passage that forbids us Christians from even using such titles?
Not as far as I know and I was not saying they should not. I was just wondering if they were necessary in light of the fact that some of them seem very contrived.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
One of the best pastors I ever had just liked to be called Rudy. That's his name. He despied being called Reverend.

My current pastor has a Phd...but we stilll just call him Pastor.

The titles you listed I'm guessing came from what you've seen on tv--the televangelists don't really reflect the averge pastor. The tvguys are more about show than substance so a pretty title (self-appointed no less) lends an air of credibility to them so the flock they're fleecing thinks the are something special.
It's not just the TV. I lived in South Florida for years and I observed something. In predominantly white areas, there would be a church or two, maybe a mega church here and there. In the black neighborhoods there would be a church on practically every corner or in every plaza as a storefront church. Now I live in New York City in Harlem and again, I see churches everywhere, both traditional and the storefronts, and as in Florida I see the same here when I look at the church signs. The names are often long and the pastors titles are sometimes compounded OR rather grand. In the white neighborhoods, all I would see is "Pastor." Now I don't know what it is like in small backwood "white" towns in the middle of Mississippi, for example.

I'm trying to figure out why this is? I know that my people can be very flashy and flamboyant and I wonder if they also feel the need to stress they are more than just a pastor. They want to be referred to as "Evangelist," Prophet" or "Apostle." Is this supposed give them credibility in a level even higher than just pastor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality