Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do atheists make America a better or worse place to live?
Much better 33 35.87%
Better 16 17.39%
Neither better nor worse 26 28.26%
Worse 8 8.70%
Much worse 9 9.78%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Atheists have been described as the most despised group in America. Is the country better or worse off because of atheists?

Reference: Research Finds that Atheists Most Despised, Most Distrusted Minority

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 02-01-2010 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 09:14 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
If you like the Taliban... you'd be a happy person without atheists

Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Go figure the atheist threat starter votes "Much Better"...

Atheists do nothing other than stir the pot. They are dividing this country socially and causing religious people to become defensive about their own religion. I have nothing personally against people who are athiest, however, the activist types that go around proposing laws to ban religious ornaments from being displayed drive me nutzoid.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
I am allowed to have an opinion. But let's not make this discussion about me, okay?

Quote:
Atheists do nothing other than stir the pot. They are dividing this country socially and causing religious people to become defensive about their own religion. I have nothing personally against people who are athiest, however, the activist types that go around proposing laws to ban religious ornaments from being displayed just drive me nutzoid.
Some might see them as "stirring the pot", but the majority of atheists who challenge religious symbols in government and on public property are doing it based on a principle - a principle that says religion and government should not be mixed.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,867,431 times
Quote:

Atheists do nothing other than stir the pot. They are dividing this country socially and causing religious people to become defensive about their own religion. I have nothing personally against people who are athiest, however, the activist types that go around proposing laws to ban religious ornaments from being displayed drive me nutzoid.
First of all, that is what you bible readers do. Secondly, it's not a religion We do not believe in anything.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Atheists are against, don't support, and don't start religious wars. Atheists have no doctrine that teaches them bigotry. They use logic and reason as their guide as well as respect for fellow man.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:33 PM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:

I mostly disagree with you.

I would like to point out that most of America's scientists and many of America's most celebrated writers and entertainers have been atheists and agnostics.

I do have some agreement when it comes to atheist organizations and sometimes secular organizations like the ACLU doing things like suing over nativity scenes on public property. Although I do agree with the fact that it technically a violation of church and state, it has such little real effect on someone's life that if I could, I would trade nativity scenes for a million other things.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:34 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
I don't think they make it any better or any worse, they are sorta irrelevant.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Had man strictly followed and believed the bible for the past 2000 years, we would, for example:

-still believe the sun revolves around the flat earth.(Imagine what a lack of technology there would be)
-would treat epileptics with an exorcism. (Imagine how primitive our medical care would be)
-continue to discriminate against handicapped, women, and people of other races.
-practice slavery. ( Our world would be a sad place for many people!)

Old 02-01-2010, 09:44 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I am allowed to have an opinion. But let's not make this discussion about me, okay?

Some might see them as "stirring the pot", but the majority of atheists who challenge religious symbols in government and on public property are doing it based on a principle - a principle that says religion and government should not be mixed.
Fair enough

I technically agree with you in that government and religion should be kept separate in order to retain freedom of religion... however, and this is a big however, the US is different from many other countries in the sense that it was founded and developed with a belief in god. Many of those who have a belief in god also believe that such a religion also offers good moral character for people as well. Strong morals and good character develops people to become hard working, good citizens and teaches them to be kind to those in need and unable to provide for themselves. In this sense, you can say our country became successful and powerful based on the strong moral strengths and solid work ethic of its people. Whether or not these personal strengths were a result of themselves believing in God is controversial, however, many people feel that it is a reason.

It is unfair to look at religious people as a bunch of nuts who believe in some inanimate, non-material being. Religion is more importantly a way of life, and Christianity has a way of developing people in a way that benefits everyone. (I'm not trying to propagandize this, lol, just pointing out the fact that every religion out there teaches a different version of moral development, some in a good way, some not so good).

So to sum everything up, atheism is not necessarily a bad thing. However, neither is religion. Religion has been with this country for a long time. Much of this country's population is religious (more so in past history) and increasingly, much of it is digressing away from strong religious upbringing. Whether or not it is contributing to the decline of strong moral character in this country is up for debate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality