Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 03:41 AM

60 posts, read 79,890 times

Advertisements

That's right!This is great! Now we have more proof that our founding fathers were not religious looneys!This takes away one more weapon of the real revisionists on the left who attempt to discredit our forefathers' vision of a society based solely on the free association of men.Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad73 View Post
That's right!This is great! Now we have more proof that our founding fathers were not religious looneys!This takes away one more weapon of the real revisionists on the left who attempt to discredit our forefathers' vision of a society based solely on the free association of men.Awesome!
True but you know what? They still brainwash their children. That's the only reason religion has made it this far. Whatever a child is taught in the home as infants and small children will prevail 90% of the time. The folks who wrote the bible knew that and there are numerous verses which instruct them to continue it:

"Ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath, but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"

"Teach your children the way of the Lord and they will not wander from it"

Old 11-22-2009, 06:29 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
........... Lincoln was also an eye opener. I think he was the first true Atheist President, and Franklin was the best of the all.
I don't recall a President Franklin (FDR, maybe)......could you give me some more info on his administration?

Old 11-22-2009, 06:35 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Ben Franklin was one of the founding fathers....In June, 1776, he was appointed a member of the Committee of Five that drafted the Declaration of Independence.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
The "Jefferson Bible" was distributed to members of Congress for nearly 50 years. 1904-1957. That was a bit before my time. I wonder if the ending of that tradition had anything to do with McCarthyism?
"The Bible is a book that has been read more and examined less than any book that ever existed" ~Thomas Paine"

The Theological Works of Thomas Paine

The Jefferson bible pointed out that Thomas Jefferson recognized that Jesus was a good man but totally and without reservation omitted all the miracles, virgin birth and the resurrection...which are the parts which were added by Jesus' followers 40-80 years after his death.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 11-22-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-22-2009, 07:57 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I don't recall a President Franklin (FDR, maybe)......could you give me some more info on his administration?
The tread covers Presidents and Founding Fathers. My comment referred to Ben Franklin, one of our most influential founding fathers. I am sure you recognized that already. It is interesting you mentioned FDR as I have read he was Agnostic in his personal life, and religious for political reasons. I have never taken the time to dig deeper into his views as I was always fascinated by the 18th and 19th centuries.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
The tread covers Presidents and Founding Fathers. My comment referred to Ben Franklin, one of our most influential founding fathers. I am sure you recognized that already. It is interesting you mentioned FDR as I have read he was Agnostic in his personal life, and religious for political reasons. I have never taken the time to dig deeper into his views as I was always fascinated by the 18th and 19th centuries.
Chances are pretty good that even if one delved into Roosevelt's personal beliefs the real truth more than likely would not be there...for political reasons.

Would we have ever known about Barack Obama's real belief if the microphone had not been inadvertently open when he said something to the effect that the poor cling to their guns and religion during hard times?

People don't believe the bible...if they did their lifestyle would reflect it.

When someone reads over and over that a Christian will burn in hell for all eternity unless they are meek, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, love their neighbor as they love theirself, if sued in court for their coat voluntairly give their cloak also, love their enemies and pray for those who curse and despise them, etc. Then you continue to read what we read in the newspapers and in the media every day...they are either very naive or they do not believe it.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:37 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
I would be interested in seeing conclusive evidence that would support the proposal that Abraham Lincoln was an Atheist.
...even though xians wouldn't believe it.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:02 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Chances are pretty good that even if one delved into Roosevelt's personal beliefs the real truth more than likely would not be there...for political reasons.

Would we have ever known about Barack Obama's real belief if the microphone had not been inadvertently open when he said something to the effect that the poor cling to their guns and religion during hard times?
On another forum I remarked that an Obama speech about reading the Bible amd coming to different conclusions than the ones so often claimes was pretty much in line with what the doubters say.

Quote:
People don't believe the bible...if they did their lifestyle would reflect it.
That's very much the impression I get. They don't believe in the Bible as it is but as they think it ought to be. Well, we see it here. People rolling up with some personalized version of Christianity that seems to come from no-where other than their own head.

Quote:
When someone reads over and over that a Christian will burn in hell for all eternity unless they are meek, turn the other cheek, walk the extra mile, love their neighbor as they love theirself, if sued in court for their coat voluntairly give their cloak also, love their enemies and pray for those who curse and despise them, etc. Then you continue to read what we read in the newspapers and in the media every day...they are either very naive or they do not believe it.
Trouble is that 'love' can mean whatever you want it to mean - even burning unbelievers at the stake for the good of their souls.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:18 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
...even though xians wouldn't believe it.
There's a lot of claims that Lincoln was an atheist and some that he wasn't. There are quotes and anecdotes to 'prove' one or the other.

This remark seems to sum up what I have read overall:

Lincoln's law partner, William Herndon, was deeply disturbed after Lincoln's death by popular portrayals of Lincoln as a Christian saint. As Dwight G. Anderson, author of a recent study of Abraham Lincoln, points out, Herndon knew that Lincoln had written an essay denying the divinity of the Bible. This essay or book of Lincoln's came to be referred to as the "infidel book." Herndon's lectures and writings on the subject of Lincoln's atheism provoked immediate defense of Lincoln as a devout Christian. However, as Herndon shrewdly pointed out, the fact of Lincoln's early atheism cannot be denied and Lincoln's political career would have been vastly helped by some public revelation of a dramatic conversion to Christianity. No such conversion has ever been established. Long after the controversy over Lincoln's atheism or devotion to Christianity, a statement of Lincoln's was discovered which Lincoln issued in reply to accusations that he was not a Christian.3 Lincoln admitted that he was not a member of any Christian church, but stated that he had not denied the truth of the scriptures and had not spoken with intentional disrespect of religion in general or of any particular Christian denomination. Lincoln's statement shows that Herndon was correct. The statement is artfully worded but does not indicate any conversion to Christianity and does not deny the assertions of Herndon that Lincoln had denied the divinity of the scriptures. Lincoln says only that he had not denied their truth. Lincoln is to be admired for his honesty in this statement in not concocting some vote-catching, born-again experience. Our admiration for his candor would be greater had he desisted from piously self-serving references to the Almighty in political speeches throughout his career.
Shattering the Icon of Abraham Lincoln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality