Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:48 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Oh, what a wonderful idea! I'm just yearning to go back to the good old days when we attributed thunder and lightning to the activities of the gods. Sacrificing virgins so we'd get a better harvest was another beautiful tradition that's been lost. It's a damn shame!
Yeah, I wonder if he'd be okay with it if we went back to the days when I could land my ship on enemy shores, run up the beach, pillage their cities, kill anyone I pleased, and then burn down everything behind me. After all, that's what the "gods" of many of my ancestors had them do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
PROVE that belief in God and intelligent design of the universe and it's contents including human beings is "nonsensical" and "unevidenced". To me, your belief that there is no God in the face of such a marvelous universe and the intelligent creatures that abound on this planet is irrational.
You're the one telling everyone that belief isn't based on knowledge or evidence, it's based on a spiritual sixth sense that you claim believers have. I'm just going along with what you've been saying. Are you now changing your mind?

Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I believe that the "higher power" whether you call it God or Nature or the Great White Spirit or Shiva or Dambella or Olorun or *whatever*, that it is all the same force and that it has existed always. People of different times simply give it different names. Right now, it is very fashionable to be into the whole Jesus thing, but 1,000 years from now, most likely this God will wear a different face and name.

The bottom line is to love one another and be good. Everything else is just window dressing.

20yrsinBranson
godless heathen

Old 11-29-2009, 08:30 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,826 times
Quote:
That's a good one, though the comparison is flawed. I was referring to everyone on this planet, Christian or not other than atheists and I suppose agnostics.
Yes, so the number of people who believe in something via faith is an absolute way to determine truth...

Quote:
You are referring to a limited number of Christians who have differing beliefs about a specific religious doctrine.
But as you possibly know, I personally do not believe that the 4th and 5th century manmade trinity doctrines and incomprehensible creeds are true.
Except when it's faith in something you wish wasn't true. Got it.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:46 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
You're the one telling everyone that belief isn't based on knowledge or evidence, it's based on a spiritual sixth sense that you claim believers have. I'm just going along with what you've been saying. Are you now changing your mind?
It was you who wrote the words "nonsensical" and "unevidenced". All I did was do what atheists frequently do, ask you to PROVE, in this case, that my beliefs are nonsensical and unevidenced.

But I don't think I'm "telling everyone that belief isn't based on knowledge or evidence". I think I was telling "everyone" that manufactured tools and the scientific method are not designed to prove or disprove the existence of God or of spiritual things. Using other tools and methods that I think every (not just believers) human being can choose to access, it is possible to prove to oneself beyond any doubting that God lives, and that He responds to the prayers of the faithful.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:59 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Yes, so the number of people who believe in something via faith is an absolute way to determine truth...
If you believe it is so, then I suppose for you that might work.

Personally I prefer to ask God about things that I perceive to be of eternal signifance to me, and thus find out for myself. But my guess is that you would not understand that method because I don't hold a manufactured tool in my hand when I'm sincerely and humbly praying to God the Father in the name of Jesus Christ with faith that I will get a response from Him via His Holy Spirit once again.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:19 PM

593 posts, read 890,563 times
Default Quetzalcoatl

So with the clock ticking with the second coming of Jesus we have to wade through myths,paganism and feathered snakes. Sorry for the sarcasim, I respect everyones freedom to delve into present or ancient
religions. My concern is the Messiah is getting ready to show he is a God
of love and a God of Fire . Next up the fire. As you toy with Aztec Meso-
american deities ans Nahuati you will waste precious time by twisting God's word into "fitting" your preoccupation with well intended albeit in-
teresting historic paganism with misleading religious symbols originating
from Catholicism (sacred heart) a faith heeped in pagan symbols that have
nothing to do with ancient stone carvings (1/4 of all christian religions are
pagan in their origins and cannot be credible in symbolizing a connection with anything except for an artists rendering of a religious icon or attempting to communicate a religious event,image,relic,and a bunch of
other manmade foo foo (modern version of foo foo) For the record the
artist vision of the heart of Jesus is well intended and a loving depiction of
how Catholicism views Jesus and they use many symbols many suspect of
having manufactured ancient signs/symbols that they cherish (few know why),but we respect their attempt to praise ,honor and even tack on
zealous divinities all this mixed with true bible teachings of course. Just
don't whip out iconic symbols on evangelicals or they will eat your lunch.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:27 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Although in my opinion any belief in gods is outright childish and stupid, I agree that if someone feels like they need to believe in gods, it should be gods of their own culture and region. World religions are just another way of colonialism and conquest. Why would I believe in Semitic gods when in fact I am Germanic-Celtic?!
And to those who say well this or that god is the god of all people around the world as there is only one, I would reply, if there is only one, it might as well be mine. Or they are all the same anyway, in which case it would only be a matter of naming.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
It was you who wrote the words "nonsensical" and "unevidenced". All I did was do what atheists frequently do, ask you to PROVE, in this case, that my beliefs are nonsensical and unevidenced.
The thing that you fail to understand is that WE are not the ones required to prove the nonexistence of an imaginary being. The people who insist that the imaginary being exists are the ones with the burden of proof. If you grasped scientific methodology, you'd understand that.

Quote:
Using other tools and methods that I think every (not just believers) human being can choose to access, it is possible to prove to oneself beyond any doubting that God lives, and that He responds to the prayers of the faithful.
David Berkowitz was absolutely positive that the neighbor's dog was channeling the words of a "god" to him and instructing him to kill. Andrea Yates prayed and said "god" responded and told her to kill her five children. These people believed just as faithfully as you do.

The point here is, unless you can prove by scientific means that the being you believe is a "god" actually exists, then it's all just delusion. You're welcome to believe that delusion as long as you don't try to tell me that the whole world functions under the auspices of your unproven "god"-being. You're welcome to believe as long as you don't try to insert your dogma into our public schools or the laws of our country.

But when you try to push it on us, we're not going to take it any more.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
So with the clock ticking with the second coming of Jesus we have to wade through myths,paganism and feathered snakes.
...Unless the reality should be that Quetzalcoatl is the true deity, in which case it would turn out that other people have been wading through myths all these years.

You see? It's a question of perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality