Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:04 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Ya, there is a little about hygiene in the bible, but some of it is pointless ritual, and there is a lot not said that would have been quite helpful.

How about "thou shalt wash thy hands before every meal." I see nothing like that, not even formula on how to make soap.

I saw mention of something called "hyssop" but I couldn't find a formula for that. Maybe Campbell34 would care to point it out for me?

But regardless, the book obviously didn't get people to practice good hygiene, since it's been around for 20 centuries, and only in the last few of those centuries have we finally started figuring this stuff out.
In the 1400s the plague was killing millions in Europe, yet they finally started to get a handle on it, when the church started to tell people to follow those pointless rituals you call them, found in the Bible. Anyone who pays attention to what the Bible is actually saying here. Especially about keeping seperate from unclean things, or washing your hands under running water will get the picture.
The Bible did not get people to pratice good hygiene, because they like you, ignored what the Bible was saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:20 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
In the 1400s the plague was killing millions in Europe, yet they finally started to get a handle on it, when the church started to tell people to follow those pointless rituals you call them, found in the Bible. Anyone who pays attention to what the Bible is actually saying here. Especially about keeping seperate from unclean things, or washing your hands under running water will get the picture.
The Bible did not get people to pratice good hygiene, because they like you, ignored what the Bible was saying.
Getting your hands wet hardly does anything. You need soap. I don't see a formula for soap in the bible, and I don't see advice to wash your hands multiple times a day regardless of whether you think you touched something "unclean".

Old 11-27-2009, 07:40 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Getting your hands wet hardly does anything. You need soap. I don't see a formula for soap in the bible, and I don't see advice to wash your hands multiple times a day regardless of whether you think you touched something "unclean".
God told Moses in Numbers 19:18, that they should use Hyssop and water. Hyssop contained 50% antifungal, and antibacterial agents. You don't see, because your not looking.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:00 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
My thought is what happened to "thou shalt not kill"?
Now MC, you should know this is a specific, if you are a baptist, you are not supposed to kill other baptists, Methodists, on the other hand, are fair game. And.....it is always open season for all other christer groups on them danged Presbyterians----(show'em where they can stick their predestination!!!!)

Old 11-27-2009, 09:07 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
So what kind of microscope did Jewish people use over 2000 years ago to let them know about germs?

And Jews circumsized their children on day eight because on that day the bodies defense is at it's highest point which guards against infection. Of course, Jews back then did not have modern science to tell them this, so where did they get their information? Do you always ignore the most obvious questions?
If they were really smart, they would have left their boys uncircumcised. After all, it's the natural way to be, and why cut off something that "god" gave you?

Old 11-27-2009, 09:09 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
God told Moses in Numbers 19:18, that they should use Hyssop and water. Hyssop contained 50% antifungal, and antibacterial agents. You don't see, because your not looking.
Hyssop is a plant, silly. It's not some magical biblical soap formula. And it's actually ezov, not hyssop. Another mistranslation of your infallible book. Ezov most likely referred to any number of local herbs including rosemary, thyme, and oregano.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:24 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If they were really smart, they would have left their boys uncircumcised. After all, it's the natural way to be, and why cut off something that "god" gave you?
What did the Mohel say to the parents at the Bris?

Answer: It won't be long now.

A little bit of Jewish humor

Old 11-27-2009, 09:32 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,112,381 times
I guess they needed to use hyssop to clean their faces, but certainly not just for simple acne:

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread excrement upon your faces, even the excrement of your solemn feasts; and one shall take you away with it”.

Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
There are a lot of dietary laws also in the Pentateuch.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:16 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
i'd say the Bible is full of good hygiene tips, for instance don't sleep around with a lot of different sexual partners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality