Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times

Advertisements

How many here were raised by people who had a religious belief but let you all make up your own minds? How has it changed how you view of religion?

I'm interested because I grew up in a home where my father was a professor of history. His specialty was medieval/renaissance and early church history. my parents didn't believe in organized religion. I had no religious upbringing and spent my childhood not fitting in anywhere because everyone had some sort of religious tradition.

I had more in common with the Jewish kids across the street. My other neighbors wanted me to come to their church as they viewed me as being unsaved.

But I got to ask all those questions kids ask and find the answers for myself and I have been able to judge and decide for myself and as an adult I have found that I was indeed lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
I was raised within Baptist Christianity and that was all I was told was out there as an option. Anything else was unheard of. And I fell in line with that until I went to college and realized there were other options to be had. Eventually I shrugged off all religion. As a parent, now, my goal is to show my girls that they have options, and to let them decide for themselves what they feel is right. I'll support them in whatever avenue they choose.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
How many here were raised by people who had a religious belief but let you all make up your own minds? How has it changed how you view of religion?

I'm interested because I grew up in a home where my father was a professor of history. His specialty was medieval/renaissance and early church history. my parents didn't believe in organized religion. I had no religious upbringing and spent my childhood not fitting in anywhere because everyone had some sort of religious tradition.

I had more in common with the Jewish kids across the street. My other neighbors wanted me to come to their church as they viewed me as being unsaved.

But I got to ask all those questions kids ask and find the answers for myself and I have been able to judge and decide for myself and as an adult I have found that I was indeed lucky.
I wasn't raised that way, I was forced to follow my parents' religion. But I raised my kids to think and learn and decide for themselves. I always told them that they were not required to believe the same things I do, that I would love them no matter what they chose.

I answered any question they had about religion, and did it in as unbiased a way as I could, encouraging them to figure out for themselves what they believed. They were allowed to go to any church, temple, or synagogue they were interested in, and allowed to go to church functions with their friends if they so chose.

It worked out really well. I'd do it that way again.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:28 AM

66 posts, read 95,179 times
I was raised catholic and stopped going to church in my teen years. When I was 16 I became friends with a Christian. Talking to him encouraged me to get a Bible so I could argue with him. Then I started to believe it.

Mow I also raise my kids to think for themselves--and the fact that the Bible is believable. I teach my kids to think critically and ask the tough questions that atheism can"t answer

Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouDon'tKnowMe View Post
I was raised catholic and stopped going to church in my teen years. When I was 16 I became friends with a Christian. Talking to him encouraged me to get a Bible so I could argue with him. Then I started to believe it.

Mow I also raise my kids to think for themselves--and the fact that the Bible is believable. I teach my kids to think critically and ask the tough questions that atheism can"t answer
Give us an example of your "critical thinking" skills.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Give us an example of your "critical thinking" skills.
Can atheism account for the beginning of the universe? Beginning of life?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That's not critical thinking, if you revert to "GOD done gone and did it, ayup". Now, let me point out that you need to learn what atheism is...

...if you think that atheism should have answers about the beginning of the universe/life then you REALLY don't understand it. That's some fine police work there, Lou.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
That's not critical thinking, if you revert to "GOD done gone and did it, ayup". Now, let me point out that you need to learn what atheism is...

...if you think that atheism should have answers about the beginning of the universe/life then you REALLY don't understand it. That's some fine police work there, Lou.
Until your belief system can provide that answer in one way or another it is inherently flawed. Don't be afraid to let your kid discover that. Don't shoot down their beliefs in the interest of justifying your worldview.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
I was raised by a Father who wasn't religious and a Mother who was but has never been pushy about it. The result was two children who became atheists and one who became extremely religious. Fortunately all of us get along very well and I completely agree that religion shouldn't be forced on children. It often causes serious divisions within a family.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:47 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
No. Nor does it try to.

Atheism is a lack of belief in god.

That is all.

Nothing else.

Nothing more.

Nothing less.

Lack of belief.

That's all folks.

Every other question is a different field of study.

Just to make sure you're clear, Atheists are not required to accept evolution. They aren't required to accept the theory of gravity. Atheists can believe in magic. They can believe UFOs, astral projection, mental telepathy, ESP, clairvoyance, spirit photograhy, full-trance mediums, telekinetic movement, black and/or white magic, pyramidology, the theory of Atlantis, the Loch Ness Monster, and in general in spooks, spectres, wraiths, geists and ghosts.

As long as they *don't* believe in god. They tend not to believe in these things, of course. But the definition of atheism is pretty specific in this regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality