Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 11:05 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
So IQ determines the value of another being and a low IQ of that being suggests to you that he/she/it is less capable of suffering?!!!
And why is a mammal more deserving of your compassion?
Wow.
Some of the comments are this thread are so painful ... such defensiveness and justification/rationalization and hardness of heart ... not to mention such ignorance / lack of awareness ... and all of it accompanied by pride ... like the dude who is so proud of all the creatures he's killed.
Wow.
Oh, how did I miss that?

So, you're telling me you'd happily let a big, hairy spider climb up your legs???? I've never seen such compassion all my life.

It confuses me coz back in the day many young women went haywire with cockroaches in their college dorm rooms that I literally had to go into their rooms and kill the roaches and "save their lives". I see no compassion in the world for cockroaches. Two years ago, my then girlfriend dragged me out of a Chinese restaurant coz she saw cockroach running on the floor, she didn't love it

But cockroaches are a great love affair creator. Thank the roaches, though I had to squash several in my lifetime. I apologize to all of them, Phylum Arthropoda , it wasn't personal. I'm sure we could all get along in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Translate as mockery at other people's eating habits
Baloney.
You misread and / or you do not comprehend.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh . . . I don't know . . . perhaps for the same reason that talking about the time your "compasson" for slaughtered creatures caused you to throw up and then describing the consistency of the vomit . . . at a celebration just before someone is about to enjoy a meal . . . might be ill-timed!!
Yeah but Kerby's post didn't have that tone.
And if the awareness causes one to enjoy the meal less ... ummmmmm, if most of the replies on this thread are any indication of where people are at in regards to this issue, i doubt too many thanksgiving meals will be ruined.
And for those that are woken up a bit and have some awareness about the Turkey's, it's a good thing imo as, to me, the opening of the heart and the increase in compassion is more important than a meal.
Better to be aware even if that includes some sorrow ... imo.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:52 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Yeah but Kerby's post didn't have that tone.
And if the awareness causes one to enjoy the meal less ... ummmmmm, if most of the replies on this thread are any indication of where people are at in regards to this issue, i doubt too many thanksgiving meals will be ruined.
And for those that are woken up a bit and have some awareness about the Turkey's, it's a good thing imo as, to me, the opening of the heart and the increase in compassion is more important than a meal.
Better to be aware even if that includes some sorrow ... imo.
Sorry coyote . . . but there is a time and a place for everything . . . holidays are for celebration . . . not recriminations or bemoaning.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry coyote . . . but there is a time and a place for everything . . . holidays are for celebration . . . not recriminations or bemoaning.
It was neither "recrimination" nor "bemoaning" ... it was a call to awareness and compassion.
Any time is an appropriate time to heighten and increase both.
It's an especially appropriate time when your enjoyment involves the suffering of other beings.
If we can't handle the consequences of our actions and need to bubble ourselves in and wall ourselves off from that suffering, then so be it.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
It was neither "recrimination" nor "bemoaning" ... it was a call to awareness and compassion.
Any time is an appropriate time to heighten and increase both.
It's an especially appropriate time when your enjoyment involves the suffering of other beings.
If we can't handle the consequences of our actions and need to bubble ourselves in and wall ourselves off from that suffering, then so be it.
OUR enjoyment does not involve the suffering of other beings UNLESS WE caused it directly. Life would be impossible . . . let alone enjoy ment of it . . . otherwise. The "red in tooth and claw" nature of life is NOT OUR fault, coyote. I (vainly) "justify" all the ex-life I consume with the idea that I am elevating their dead forms of energy into a higher form . . . me. Their spirits are in God's hands. Try to remain pragmatic, coyote . . . our spirituality is not easily comforted here in this God-forsaken place.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
OUR enjoyment does not involve the suffering of other beings UNLESS WE caused it directly. Life would be impossible . . . let alone enjoy ment of it . . . otherwise. The "red in tooth and claw" nature of life is NOT OUR fault, coyote. I (vainly) "justify" all the ex-life I consume with the idea that I am elevating their dead forms of energy into a higher form . . . me. Their spirits are in God's hands. Try to remain pragmatic, coyote . . . our spirituality is not easily comforted here in this God-forsaken place.
If (as an example) we eat a cow who has been raised inhumanely and killed in a painful manner and we enjoy that meat, you do not see that we are involved in the suffering of that creature?!!!
Wow.
Now that is one fine piece of rationalization and i'd be interested to know how your intellect maintains that mental trickery.
Next:
We as humans have the potential to exist outside of the food chain in order to nourish our bodies and we certainly have the potential to liberate ourselves from the food chain mentality in our everyday lives as we relate to the external world.
In other words, we have the capacity to exist in a more intelligent, enlightened and compassionate manner in all of our endeavors.
It often seems like a God-forsaken place and it's easy to rationalize our own "bad" behavior with that kind of dismissive and separative attitude.
But it is within our power ... we have the potential ... to create a life on earth that is less hellish but people need to open their hearts and awaken from their slumber if things here on earth are to improve.
I'm including myself ... we're all more and less awake and aware.

If our bodies need meat (which at times mine does ... i'm am not dogmatic nor rigid) then let us have the courage ... the heartfulness ... to be conscious and aware that the animal we must consume has suffered and has lost its life ... in service to our bodily needs.
At this point in our human drama i do admit that i have little tolerance for those who indulge in meat to feed their pleasure particularly when they do it with pride and rationalizations and a f-u attitude toward anyone who has a difficult time with the fact that animals are suffering.
But people are who they are, ie; relatively un-evolved and it is a personal choice and we are all free to eat what we choose.

Again, the original post was a call or request for awareness and compassion for other sentient beings.
Do you know why that is so difficult for people to be open to?

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-27-2009 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-27-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Baloney.
You misread and / or you do not comprehend.
Misread??

A million people get together for a family occasion and all you guys worry about is "turkey" killing?? The OP is bizarrely cruel, even sadistic, it uses the veneer of wishing people well and propagates something, an "in the face" item of mocking their very celebration with some PETA ideology. It could at least have been honest about cutting straight to the chase and not toy with the idea of a happy thanksgiving.

Is it appropriate to walk in on a gathering of celebrating people and present this turkey theory? To me, it's like those crazy anti-gay evangelicals holding signs in funerals. There is no difference. It's just indifference and disrespect.

And you're supposed to be tolerant of the practices around the world, your neighbours, right? Give peace (dharma) a chance??

Old 11-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Misread??

A million people get together for a family occasion and all you guys worry about is "turkey" killing?? The OP is bizarrely cruel, even sadistic, it uses the veneer of wishing people well and propagates something, an "in the face" item of mocking their very celebration with some PETA ideology. It could at least have been honest about cutting straight to the chase and not toy with the idea of a happy thanksgiving.

Is it appropriate to walk in on a gathering of celebrating people and present this turkey theory? To me, it's like those crazy anti-gay evangelicals holding signs in funerals. There is no difference. It's just indifference and disrespect.

And you're supposed to be tolerant of the practices around the world, your neighbours, right? Give peace (dharma) a chance??
For the umpteenth time, the original post was a request for awareness and compassion.
If you need to defend yourself from the truth that your enjoyment involves the suffering of other creatures, so be it.
And for you to use the words "cruel" and "sadistic" is strange and i think a projection and the original post was neither.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
For the umpteenth time, the original post was a request for awareness and compassion.
If you need to defend yourself from the truth that your enjoyment involves the suffering of other creatures, so be it.
And for you to use the words "cruel" and "sadistic" is strange and i think a projection and the original post was neither.
I was just thinking what would happen if I tell a woman - "You're so pretty, but you're overweight"

That's clear jackass behaviour and attitude and I don't see any difference in the OP.

Happy Thanksgiving, but thanks, but no thanks, that's what the OP reads. And it's unfortunate you have to support such attitude, coz you have found common ground with your warped "compassion agenda". Sad that you think it's projection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality