Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I think he is a myth, and is no more into science than Mickey Mouse.
Ah, c'mon there George, tell us what you really think. Odds are I would probably agree with ya anyway. Besides, he would not be a "myth" He would be a "myth-ter"!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,194,708 times
Yeah, people certainly are circumspect around here, softpedaling their opinions...

Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,553,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
No, not trying to convert you to that one church of a similar name that I know nothing about.

I'm just wondering who here believes in a higher power but also believes he/she/it does things through processes we recognize as "scientific" rather than "magical" in nature.

We hear a lot from the "young earth" people and the dedicated atheists, but that leaves a whole lot of space for ideas in the middle. I wanna hear your thoughts/beliefs !
Your proposal sounds perfectly viable to me. A little magic wouldn't hurt, though.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM

92 posts, read 216,164 times
i am an agnostic...unwillingly and grudgingly because i want there to be more than just natural laws....what really puzzles me is this....if everything that exists came into being because of a fluctuation in a vacuum field or the inflation of a singularity....then why isnt the universe just a jumble of rocks, gases, and empty space, dark matter, and all other inanimate things?....why are there creatures who have the ability to perceive, question, wonder, and contemplate their own existence...it seems much more reasonable that the products of unconscious, inanimate forces would produce unconscious, inanimate objects...why do we exists as conscious beings when it would be more logical for us not to exists???

Old 12-02-2009, 03:33 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,584 times
Quote:
No, not trying to convert you to that one church of a similar name that I know nothing about.

I'm just wondering who here believes in a higher power but also believes he/she/it does things through processes we recognize as "scientific" rather than "magical" in nature.

We hear a lot from the "young earth" people and the dedicated atheists, but that leaves a whole lot of space for ideas in the middle. I wanna hear your thoughts/beliefs !
I have no quarrel with your theory.Things derived through science can seem like magic to those who don't understand them.Many past ' miracles' can be scientificly explained today,many more will be in the future.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:54 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,358,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Yeah, people certainly are circumspect around here, softpedaling their opinions...
I know I have just let the edges get too dull. It comes with age and you just become to soft. In my case it was from holding back on the pedophile problems with the catholic church. It looks like it is spreading to other religious myths now.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
The schism between science and religion didn't exist until the religious totalitarians didn't like the answers science was getting. Their dogmatism, intolerance and intransigence is entirely responsible for the permanent rift that exists today. Scientist's simply reveal How God's creation works . . . Theologians simply try to understand Why . . . and the Religions simply try to control people. Religions are the worst thing that could have ever happened to God.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,922,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The schism between science and religion didn't exist until the religious totalitarians didn't like the answers science was getting. Their dogmatism, intolerance and intransigence is entirely responsible for the permanent rift that exists today. Scientist's simply reveal How God's creation works . . . Theologians simply try to understand Why . . . and the Religions simply try to control people. Religions are the worst thing that could have ever happened to God.
Completely agreed! Any possible value to be potentially derived from a philosophical approach to spiritualism tends to be lost in the murk of mandatory discipline and ceremony.

Hey; I think I'll even rep yah a point!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-04-2009, 04:15 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
OR.....

there was no Moses, and no plagues and it was all a made-up, fictional story.

When you look at it from this viewpoint, it seems kind of silly that the History channel would spend all that money to film a program about it, doesn't it?

The funny thing about the History channel is that much of their programming may or may not be....you know...actual history...
That too, is a possible deduction. However, there are Egyptian documented stories that indicate that something happened. Pharoh Ah-Moses was real.

Ahmose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His rein coincides with the Minoan eruption

Minoan eruption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This caused big issues for Egypt. Things like the sky going dark for weeks, such as the nile turning red from oxidation. This caused frogs to come out of the nile, as well as fish dying. That caused flys to feast upon their bodies, and disease to run rampant in the streets. Fire could literally have fallen from the sky, and either disease or noxious gases could have killed the first born of the Egyptians.

So there are real actual events that did happen. Did the biblical scholers simply extrapolate their Moses story from these happenings? Probably. Its well known that the Bible does document some actual human events.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:

I just don't know...and they don't either!

The odds of a creator of this vast universe giving two hoots about an insignificant micron like planet such as our's with a parasitic growth such as the million named species of life here is about the same as a single ticket buyer on his/her first try winning the powerball lottery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality