Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:25 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tookey View Post
Good grief it's just words to wish someone a happy holiday. No one is slighting anyone, no one is forcing anyone to reject their chosen religion or beliefs. Merry Christmas has been articulated for many, many, many years. I'm gonna say it until I am put in the ground, get over it!! A polite thank you is all that is needed or say nothing. I like hearing Merry Christmas and I like to say it, and now that I know it irritates some people I am going to say it louder. There are so many more important issues in this country now why nit pick over the words Merry Christmas.
If "it's just words", why the vehemence?

I understand that you, and the other posters who've expressed the same sentiment, have a right to say a rote "Merry Christmas" to clients, customers and acquaintances, even knowing it may be annoying or inaccurate. And you're right-- you do.
Some of us were not brought up to believe our right to behave badly supersedes consideration of others or good business practices, but hey-- you go for it. You have every right to push your agenda, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I think the key is "...and now that I know it irritates some people I am going to say it louder". In other words, the idea is to be irritating.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think the key is "...and now that I know it irritates some people I am going to say it louder". In other words, the idea is to be irritating.
In general the greeting doesn't bother me. I either return it in kind or ignore it. But when people are deliberately ignorant or irratating about it, sometimes things could get a little messy.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:33 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
Anyone want some cheese with their whine ? What is wrong with you people ???

I'm so sick of hearing, how the "Christians did this and the Atheists did that", or it's "pagan holiday high-jacked by xtians" !!! For-crying-out-loud...who cares...SHUT UP...and enjoy the freakin' season !!!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Anyone want some cheese with their whine ? What is wrong with you people ???

I'm so sick of hearing, how the "Christians did this and the Atheists did that", or it's "pagan holiday high-jacked by xtians" !!! For-crying-out-loud...who cares...SHUT UP...and enjoy the freakin' season !!!
Good one

Especially, the crowd that does the highlighted dirge.

Get over it.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:48 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
????????

What gave you that idea?

I don't like crowds. I don't like traffic. I don't like shopping. I don't like overly tired kids whining about what they need and screaming if they don't get it. I don't like lines. I don't like insufferably "happy" music played incessantly. I don't like people telling me to have a "happy" or "Merry" anything. Whats not to dislike?

On the other hand, I like the stillness of the winters woods. I like the strength of the faith of the people as they pray. I like the joy and promise of a new season as the world sleeps in preparation for it's rebirth.
Well, shoot, Goodpasture, I have to spread the reps around before I can rep you again - I love this post! :-)

pnc66

Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Good one

Especially, the crowd that does the highlighted dirge.

Get over it.
Nah, I don't think I will "get over it," (if by get over it you mean I have to celebrate Jesus on Christmas.)

Christmas isn't "about" Jesus - at least its not to millions of us that celebrate Christmas but aren't Christian. You can celebrate Jesus's birth on that day if you want, but he's not "the reason for the season." Christmas belongs to everyone, not just Christians.

So Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, whatever words you want to use, it's all good. No one is taking Christ out of Christmas, because he wasn't in Christmas to begin with.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
When my Father was alive he used to crack me up with some of the remarks he'd make. When he'd hear someone say "Merry Christmas" he'd say "there's nothing merry about the bastard!". I remember one time he said if he saw Santa landing on the roof he'd take a shotgun and "blow him away". Personally I like Christmas and I don't see anything wrong with saying Merry Christmas. I realize that the roots of this holiday aren't even based on a religious tradition and no one even knows when day Jesus was born or for that matter if he actually existed with any certainty but at the same time I don't feel the need to belittle someone because they associate Christmas with their religious beliefs.
The only time I felt like cringing is when I was at home in Montana one Christmas and my Step Father's relatives made a birthday cake for the baby Jesus and sang Happy Birthday to him. I immediately left the table and refilled my glass with wine. Ok, I'm all for respecting family traditions but let's not get sappy about it.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Happy Holidays!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I agree. I don't like it when a clerk says "Happy Holidays." It's not their fault, it's obviously the store policy. I always say to them, "no, it's Merry Christmas" with a smile.
Awesome. When they tell me "Merry Christmas" I smile and tell them to not be ignorant and not assume everyone is Christian and wish them a Happy Holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Nah, I don't think I will "get over it," (if by get over it you mean I have to celebrate Jesus on Christmas.)

Christmas isn't "about" Jesus - at least its not to millions of us that celebrate Christmas but aren't Christian. You can celebrate Jesus's birth on that day if you want, but he's not "the reason for the season." Christmas belongs to everyone, not just Christians.

So Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, whatever words you want to use, it's all good. No one is taking Christ out of Christmas, because he wasn't in Christmas to begin with.
And you should not have to get over it.

If the Muslims came here and took over and changed Christmas to celebrating the birth of Muhammed, I doubt Christians would sit tight and get over it.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:47 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
When my Father was alive he used to crack me up with some of the remarks he'd make. When he'd hear someone say "Merry Christmas" he'd say "there's nothing merry about the bastard!". I remember one time he said if he saw Santa landing on the roof he'd take a shotgun and "blow him away". Personally I like Christmas and I don't see anything wrong with saying Merry Christmas. I realize that the roots of this holiday aren't even based on a religious tradition and no one even knows when day Jesus was born or for that matter if he actually existed with any certainty but at the same time I don't feel the need to belittle someone because they associate Christmas with their religious beliefs.
The only time I felt like cringing is when I was at home in Montana one Christmas and my Step Father's relatives made a birthday cake for the baby Jesus and sang Happy Birthday to him. I immediately left the table and refilled my glass with wine. Ok, I'm all for respecting family traditions but let's not get sappy about it.
This thread has arrogance, ignorance and both.

Moderator cut: edit A history lesson is definitely needed.

The Early church fathers "agreed" to coalesce the supposed day of the birth of Christ with the general holiday season of the time to simply integrate the pagan crowd into the empire's new religion, so that the party loving Roman public do not go into the streets rioting.

This was pretty much an imperial administrative strategy.

Everyone knows how the Papacy ruled Europe for the next 1500 years until Napoleon and later on, Mussolini, defanged the Papacy for good. And it's no secret this day was propagated to the future with just one event in mind - the birth of Christ.

Having said that, Christians of posterity do not have to care about the roots of the season, because they clearly commemorate the birth of Christ. These people don't need to be told of what Christmas "day" really meant prior to 324. They aren't pagans. Those who don't get this have clear understanding shortcomings.

Also, if Christmas offends you, there are several names to refer to it. Just don't celebrate it like the Christians do or don't call it Christmas. Contact your local politician to enact a "new name for Christmas" law. You can be pro-Holiday, like pro-Christmas, just go buy stickers for cars and finally and most importantly, get over it

Last edited by Miss Blue; 12-07-2009 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: no one likes the word "ignorant" when referring to their intelligence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality