Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 07:20 PM

324 posts, read 573,378 times

Advertisements

I am agnostic, which means I doubt the existence of God and all those matters surrounding his existence.

Just crossed my mind today:
When I pass away, and there is God, I'll feel like an idiot. And those deceased God believers may point fingers at me, saying: "See, I told you so when we lived our life on earth..."
However, when I pass away, and it turns out, that I actually died (no afterlife), I won't have a chance feel smart and point fingers at deceased God believers, saying: "See, I told you so!". Because we'll all be really dead...
That's not fair!

Just got little silly before Christmas, but isn't it actually true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM

179 posts, read 295,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpan View Post
I am agnostic, which means I doubt the existence of God and all those matters surrounding his existence.

When I pass away, and there is God, I'll feel like an idiot. And those deceased God believers may point fingers at me, saying: "See, I told you so when we lived our life on earth..."
However, when I pass away, and it turns out, that I actually died (no afterlife), I won't have a chance feel smart and point fingers at deceased God believers, saying: "See, I told you so!". Because we'll all be really dead...
That's not fair!

Umm...I hate to break it to you but... If you die and there is no afterlife there wont be anyone to "point your finger" at as you and everyone else would cease to exist...Me I like to be on "The Safe Side"

Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:

That's not fair!

i'm agnostic . but i do beleave there is a creator, just not the one's that all the holy books of the world says there is. what ever happens on earth will happen, there will be no intervention from the creator... it's a running experiment, the creator will not interfere.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonaFan View Post
Me I like to be on "The Safe Side"
PersonaFan, I don't know about existence of supernatural, but I positively don't believe in existence of hell. Have you read a book 'If Grace Is True' by Philip Gulley?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i'm agnostic . but i do beleave there is a creator, just not the one's that all the holy books of the world says there is. what ever happens on earth will happen, there will be no intervention from the creator... it's a running experiment, the creator will not interfere.
It is possible, that we are a 'running experiment'. I it is so, or not, doesn't make a difference, since there is nothing we can do about it...

Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
I understand your dilemma. What churches teach does not support the idea of a creator......they have way too much fantasy and mythology involved. This does not mean there is no creator or greater consciousness. You are in for one hellofa treat.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:26 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Well, then it's best not to be an idiot! LOL!

Spirits communicate with us all the time and we've been told what it's like in the next world. So when it's time for you to move on over there, just relax and enjoy the ride.

Celestial Vision Productions (http://celestialvisionproductions.com/Helen9.html - broken link)

Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
This is a very old argument.

As an atheist, if I find out I was wrong all my life, I hope that whatever god ends up existing would rather have had me use my brain to think for myself, rather than believing "just in case".

AND, if you are going to believe "just in case" god really exists, how are you going to pick the right one? You can't just worship them all, since we don't even know if ANYONE has it right. What if you spent every waking hour for the rest of your life trying to worship every single diety anyone has imagined, and then you die and god is an 8 headed cat who wants you to have said a prayer to each of his 8 heads at 3:36 AM every day?

When I die, if there is a god, I won't feel like an idiot. I'll be glad I lived every day to the fullest. And since I'm a good person, I would expect to not be punished. If that's not what happens, then that isn't a god I would want to worship anyway, even if I had PROOF that they existed.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:26 PM

53 posts, read 66,051 times
I know for a FACT that the christian god is not real. If people opened their eyes and stopped believing by default that their god is the way and real, it immediately proves itself how stupid, arrogant and ignorant their beliefs are.

I was born into a Christian home...was for the first 21 years of my life...but the Bible itself was able to show me how utterly stupid this god is. What kind of intelligent being resorts to violence and the killing of first generation babies as a way to get his way ??? I mean really??

Imagine Barak threatening Afghanistan by telling them that every first child or every house hold will die unless they do our will? or even the fact that we go over seas to kill each other is enormously stupid.

But you know why we do it? Because this god has taught us to separate ourselves from the infidels and the non righteous people...as if 'we' are the chosen and 'they' are the evil of the earth. Every one is considered an infidel by someone in this earth. The different religions found across the earth have driven us to war since the beginning....because its 'us' against 'them'.

We are all part of the human race....we need to stop believing in a god who doesn't even present himself to us...nor makes intelligent decisions to steer people to him and work towards the betterment of the human race.

Im not saying there is no creator...but to date he has not presented his self to us. If he is all powerful, all intelligent, all knowing, ...basically GOD... Im sure he would talk to us...not through some book written by man himself.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:03 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
As an atheist, if I find out I was wrong all my life, I hope that whatever god ends up existing would rather have had me use my brain to think for myself, rather than believing "just in case".

AND, if you are going to believe "just in case" god really exists, how are you going to pick the right one?
Terry Pratchett (second time I post about him today, just finished his latest book) had this awesome quote on unintended consequences of playing it safe:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratchett
The Quirmian philosopher Ventre put forward the suggestion that "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?" When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality