Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,463,212 times

Advertisements

I don't see a category for this in city-data, but here goes. In mid-January of this year, my mother's bedroom was dark when she turned to look at the time. A few feet away, she saw what she described as the brightest white light, but it did not light up the room. It was approximately two and a half feet long, by about 18 inches wide; shimmering and flame-like around it's border. It didn't hurt her eyes to look at it. It only lasted for a few seconds and then folded into itself like a cloud and floated across the room and out the window. I asked if the light was against the wall and she said no, it was a few feet away from the wall...not against it. Afterward, my mom sat there for over an hour wondering what it was. She didn't feel threatened, but took it as a good sign. I don't know if there is any correlation, but at the time, there was a lot of praying going on by family and friends for my son who was gravely ill at the time. He passed away about two weeks later and I do miss him dearly. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience of the brightest white light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,832,038 times
Are you sure your Mother didn't have some sort of stroke experience? Seeing bright lights is one of the symptoms of a stroke...and the fact that your Mom sat in the same place for over an hour...may indicate some sort of temporary paralysis. Just food for thought...but maybe it was a supernatural experience too...hey, I'm a believer!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:38 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,463,212 times
Quite sure it wasn't. She was just sitting there thinking about what it could have been or meant, but I'll look into your suggestion anyway. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
If you are religious, you will probably believe that it was an angel. If you are not religious, you will probably believe it is a spirit of some kind. If you are someone who does not believe in either, then you will probably believe it was something which originated from our own mind.

Bright, white light seems to be related to higher realms or dimensions in other belief systems which believe in such things. It could have been an entity from those places or it could have been an entity, but have been experienced as a white light by your mother.

Unfortunately we can debate this for ever and still not know the answer as our present understanding and belief systems generally do not encompass other dimensions. We do not know enough about the real laws of the universe to be able to explain these things with any certainty and so any explanation would probably be speculation.

Everything which we experience has made an impact on some of our senses (otherwise we would not have the experience at all) so I am sure that your mother did actually experience this. Do not let other people degrade it to become a doubt in your or her mind as every experience is worth having and none are invalidated just because of the 'opinion' of someone else. What do they know about your (mother's) experience?

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Retinal Detachments, Floaters & Flashes. If this isn't an isolated incident get her to an eye doctor.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
People have been having experiences like that since before we invented written language, all over the world. As to what or why that kind of thing happens, it may be physiological or it may be just part of a wider existence we don't comprehend and aren't normally privy to.

Chalk it up to the unexplained, because that's all it will ever be.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:51 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Retinal Detachments, Floaters & Flashes. If this isn't an isolated incident get her to an eye doctor.
Excellent advice.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam222 View Post
I don't see a category for this in city-data, but here goes. In mid-January of this year, my mother's bedroom was dark when she turned to look at the time. A few feet away, she saw what she described as the brightest white light, but it did not light up the room. It was approximately two and a half feet long, by about 18 inches wide; shimmering and flame-like around it's border. It didn't hurt her eyes to look at it. It only lasted for a few seconds and then folded into itself like a cloud and floated across the room and out the window. I asked if the light was against the wall and she said no, it was a few feet away from the wall...not against it. Afterward, my mom sat there for over an hour wondering what it was. She didn't feel threatened, but took it as a good sign. I don't know if there is any correlation, but at the time, there was a lot of praying going on by family and friends for my son who was gravely ill at the time. He passed away about two weeks later and I do miss him dearly. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience of the brightest white light.
Definitely ministroke-TIA and aftershock.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 PM

869 posts, read 972,310 times
Quote:
If you are religious, you will probably believe that it was an angel.
Very true. However, please keep in mind that God's holy angels don't go around playing pee-aboo and hide-and-seek games which leave people puzzled. When they appear it is always with a definite specific purpose and on a mission from God. Either to deliver a prophetic message as with John in Revelation and with Daniel, or to bring swift retribution as with Sodom and Gomorrah and the last plague against the firstborn in Egypt. With Mary it was a message or the good tidings that she would give birth to the Messiah. Later shepherds saw angels proclaiming Jesus' birth.

So religiously speaking and from a biblical perspective the option of it being an angel from God is unnacceptable due to it's suspicious, mysterious, non-holy-angel modus operandi.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:41 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,716,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
Very true. However, please keep in mind that God's holy angels don't go around playing pee-aboo and hide-and-seek games which leave people puzzled. When they appear it is always with a definite specific purpose and on a mission from God. Either to deliver a prophetic message as with John in Revelation and with Daniel, or to bring swift retribution as with Sodom and Gomorrah and the last plague against the firstborn in Egypt. With Mary it was a message or the good tidings that she would give birth to the Messiah. Later shepherds saw angels proclaiming Jesus' birth.
I'm always amused when people confidently describe how supernatural agents of an all-powerful god must behave, as if it were a law of nature or something. I imagine the same sort of person confidently telling us exactly how many angels will fit on the head of a pin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality