Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:27 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
How religiously dogmatic. I agree though. Since thoughts exist they can be killed.
Yes, thoughts exist. But they are not life/energy forms, they are concepts.

God is claimed to exist but doesn't. Keep the thoughts, reject the god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:47 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,706 times
Then the problem is with terms so maybe we should define such things and attempt to use them-this is philosophy, I think....wait, what thread am I in? Gods, the christian one especially, does not exist. Existence implies change. All "things" exist because all "things" change. They come and they go-this was called appearance, if this is all there is, then that is all there is-eternal change. The concept of god is essentially no change to its essence as it "be" (I almost used exists-haha) somewhere else other than the material world (unless you are a pantheist or a panentheist), so I would imagine that "material" concepts do not specifically apply: such as life and energy, as that seems anthropomorphic, which I have no problem with but one has to keep in mind that they are. One can say there is no god just as easily as one can say that there is-neither can prove it but if you get comfort from it I am happy for you as I don't have comfort as yet (I have been waiting my 3 score for such a proof but all I here is, "there ain't" or "there is") but both can build rational structures to support their opinions; otherwise, all we have is mere opinion and good for all of us. God is not biological life. Is that what we are saying? Then of course, given the god concept and the concept of life, it can't be killed; otherwise it would come and go and then you would not have the god concept but something living. Since you announce that god don't "exist" I assume you mean there ain't one; as a Nosferatu once said, "you are a very wise man for only having lived one life time." I don't know, absolutely, myself, as I seem to lack absolute knowledge of all reality and anything else that might absolutely be out there-I am a slow learner, and all one gets from the human herd is a continual dying (I mean going away, obsolescence, whatever) of its knowledge with a continual replacement of the new as instruments get sharper and knowledge grows and shifts-as that guy who put Jesus on the cross supposedly said, "what is truth?". But one may be asked to prove that there ain't one just as others are always demanding religious people prove there assertion, otherwise, you are making a dogmatic statement and dogma without foundation. I am glad someone thinks thoughts exist, I was beginning to think that what I am thinking now does not exist which would seem to imply that I don't exist. The life/energy thing gets me though. Thoughts then have no energy composing them? No energy from those synapses? And could we say we have life without thoughts-I guess being a vegetable is life; depending how one defines life for a human though (I suppose these are all subject to dogmatic opinion as well). Philosophy is hard, opinion is easy-I think I will go rent a zombie movie.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:04 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,648,256 times
Take the advice your mom gave you as a child...

Kill them with kindness.

Or if that doesn't work, take a 2 by 4 and repeatedly use chopping motions on said target

Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Silver bullets.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
How can one kill something which didn't exist to begin with?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,706 times
Wow was I misled-"religion and philosophy", yeah, has both those forms of thoughts degenerated into "knowing all mysteries without knowing how that knowing got there:" and therefore, into decisive one liners-maybe modern thought should be labeled McDonadls' thought processes. I suppose when one has the conclusion one has the beginning and middle as well even without knowing the beginning and middle. I have to admit the truth in that, but that seems lazy.

Old 01-30-2010, 05:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeThinkerInTex View Post
With spears and whips, is that how you kill a God?
Well, the greek gods ended up on a planet in another galaxy. I know this because they showed it on an episode of Star Trek Original Series once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality