Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:31 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times

Advertisements

Is it considered a sin to doubt, to question accepted religious doctrines? Or is it something less than a sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,928 times
I'd say it's a requirement. What would it say of any belief if it does not welcoming questioning?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:16 AM

598 posts, read 917,629 times
Yes.

According to most religious people, "sin" = "separation from God". If you question any of the religious stuff, that is "separation from God", so it is sin by their definition.

That leaves you only one choice if you want to be religious: be close-minded faithful.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Yes.

According to most religious people, "sin" = "separation from God". If you question any of the religious stuff, that is "separation from God", so it is sin by their definition.

That leaves you only one choice if you want to be religious: be close-minded faithful.
This is incorrect. Having doubts about religion, does not separate you from God.

To be religious is not "closed minded" either. I am always reading and learning. My religion does not stop me from knowing all that I can.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:25 AM

457 posts, read 757,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Is it considered a sin to doubt, to question accepted religious doctrines? Or is it something less than a sin?
Your post implies doubting God or faith in God, is this right. Your question can be viewed several differnt way. Would you clarify?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:42 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,422 times
Short answer is yes. The long answer is that the way it works, it is ok to doubt anything that's not relevant or favourable to the religion you subscribe to. Doubting the dogma if your own sect on the other hand will get you very bad looks from your peers and you will get some form of punishment in many cases. That's a fact I know all too well.

Since we are talking about it being viewed as a "sin", It boils down to the Jeudo-Abrahamic religions but the sentiment is the same for the most part. If you dare doubt concepts like god or parts of the doctrine, then you will be made to feel guilty about it. For some reason completely eliminating all doubt in these matters is a must.

I've seen a lot of people deviously trying to hide this fact so as to avoid their religion being called "closed minded". Having to feel bad because you have doubts and being told you need to look for guidance in order to eliminate this problem, however, is exactly what they ask for things that they consider sins.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times
Originally Posted by nezlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikeman View Post
Your post implies doubting God or faith in God, is this right. Your question can be viewed several differnt way. Would you clarify?
I was referring to when a person expresses doubts or questions the teachings in a particular religious belief system. For example, if a person questions the likelihood that such a thing as a virgin birth ever took place, is the very act of questioning and doubting itself considered a sin? Or must the person express belief in that doctrine in order to be absolved (from that sin)?

Old 01-29-2010, 01:52 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,579,709 times
I doubt it is a sin.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Quote:

It's a sin to your pastor, but probably not to god.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
Quote:
For a believer - probably (if the person has strict religious interpretations) or maybe or no(for some less strict religions)

For an agnostic - probably not

For an atheist - no. It would be immoral (not "sin") to do anything but doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality