Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times

Advertisements

As a former gay man I have always found it interesting that many people think you can only be gay or straight. It's understood if a straight guy goes gay...he's finally been true to his feelings and it's accepted, if not approved by the gay community.

But if a gay man decides to go straight then he's ostracized by the gay and straight community. Things are said like "he was never really gay," or "He's not being true to who he really is." What a double standard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:44 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times
If someone has had an attraction to both sexes...that's bi-sexual, not gay.
You admitted yourself that you were also attracted to females.

How is it that you don't appear to understand the difference bewteen gay and bi-sexual?

Old 01-25-2010, 02:45 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Maybe it's because the people who say they're not gay anymore don't seem to be fooling anyone except for themselves, Hoosier...

Old 01-25-2010, 02:47 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
As a former gay man I have always found it interesting that many people think you can only be gay or straight. It's understood if a straight guy goes gay...he's finally been true to his feelings and it's accepted, if not approved by the gay community.

But if a gay man decides to go straight then he's ostracized by the gay and straight community. Things are said like "he was never really gay," or "He's not being true to who he really is." What a double standard!
I agree. If such a thing happened, it would be a double standard.

Other than you, I have never heard of a gay man who has "gone straight".
I have heard of bisexual men who have chosen a relationship with a woman,
and I have heard of gay men who are so uncomfortable with their own sexuality that that deny it. But a truly gay man will never be straight.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:48 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,930,583 times
It's not a light switch so much as a balance scale.

Genetics + youth + social pressures = where your sexuality is expressed on the scale.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Information on sexual orientation and homosexuality from the American Psychological Association:
Answers to Your Questions For a Better Understanding of Sexual Orientation & Homosexuality

As for "praying away the gay":
American Psychological Association (2009 report)

Quote:
The task force conducted a systematic review of the peer-reviewed journal literature on sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE) and concluded that efforts to change sexual orientation are unlikely to be successful and involve some risk of harm, contrary to the claims of SOCE practitioners and advocates.

Even though the research and clinical literature demonstrate that same-sex sexual and romantic attractions, feelings, and behaviors are normal and positive variations of human sexuality, regardless of sexual orientation identity, the task force concluded that the population that undergoes SOCE tends to have strongly conservative religious views that lead them to seek to change their sexual orientation.

Thus, the appropriate application of affirmative therapeutic interventions for those who seek SOCE involves therapist acceptance, support, and understanding of clients and the facilitation of clients’ active coping, social support, and identity exploration and development, without imposing a specific sexual orientation identity outcome.
Overview of many of the studies on sexual orientation:
Quote:
There is now a solid body of scientific, peer-reviewed evidence, stretching
back almost 20 years, that sexual orientation is not a choice.
As the research continues, we are finding that a variety of biological factors,
both genetic and hormonal, correlate with same-sex orientation. It seems to be a
trait arrived at through a number of different sets of circumstances in the body and
brain. We are gradually discovering what those circumstances are, and marveling
at their complexity.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
If someone has had an attraction to both sexes...that's bi-sexual, not gay.
You admitted yourself that you were also attracted to females.

How is it that you don't appear to understand the difference bewteen gay and bi-sexual?
nope, I don't agree with your argument about bisexual. I'm not talking about someone who is playing both sides. The person has admittedly decided to be gay so he's accepted as gay, not bi. Likewise, the gay guy who goes straight should be seen as straight and not bi. Yet again, a double standard exists.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Maybe it's because the people who say they're not gay anymore don't seem to be fooling anyone except for themselves, Hoosier...
LOL, it's the straight liberals who usually speak the loudest on this topic. Why is that?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:04 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,617 times
Quote:
LOL, it's the straight liberals who usually speak the loudest on this topic. Why is that?
Funny, Hoosier. I never took you as straight or liberal so why such a loud post on your behalf?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
nope, I don't agree with your argument about bisexual. I'm not talking about someone who is playing both sides. The person has admittedly decided to be gay so he's accepted as gay, not bi. Likewise, the gay guy who goes straight should be seen as straight and not bi. Yet again, a double standard exists.
And I'm not talking about someone who "plays" both sides either, but someone who has attractions for both sexes, whether they act on it or not.

A bi-sexual person can certainly choose whether to only follow their attractions to the same-gender or only follow their attractions to the opposite gender. That's because they are have attractions for BOTH.

It's not just MY "argument", it's the professional opinion of just about any scientist or medical professional involved in this area.

I'm not sure why you persist in calling yourself a "former-gay" man other than to try to confuse the issue. I find it particularly cruel, irresponsible, and potentially quite dangerous that you're trying to tell homosexuals (especially those who have been taught to hate themselves) that they can somehow "manufacture" an attraction to the opposite sex if they just pray hard enough. That's the sort of misinformation that has lead to many gay people committing suicide...

There is so much information available from reputable sources on sexual orientation. Why not be responsible and educate youself about the facts so you can put your personal experiences into perspective - Instead of trying to convince people that all homosexuals are really bi-sexual.

Last edited by Ceist; 01-25-2010 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality