Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 03:49 AM

121 posts, read 159,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Wow! The rebirth of an old thread! A sort of "thread reincarnation" as it were??

My own spirituality has evolved considerably since my old 2009 post here, especially after reading and pondering the rather addled mindsets of so many hardened theists and mysticists here.

Now I'm far less inclined to believe in some Re-incarnation of Selective Utility, such that we won't come back as a thriving dandelion weed growing in the center median of the 405 Freeeay in Southern California, being choked by smog each and every day, until we die! Again!

Image Detail for - http://planetbotanic.ca/images/dandelion.jpg

But perhaps then we get to come back as an amoeba in some deep sea oceanic trench, growing on the side of the rusting hulk of the sunken Titanic ship!

Image Detail for - http://www.themua.org/raisingthefleet/image_meth/meth8.jpg

(It LIVES!)

Well, if the godz desire, so be it, huh?
I was browsing the old threads and came across the question how reincarnation might occur. That's why I replied to that question. You may notice that I repled only when someone asked something.

Regarding your hypothesis of taking rebirth as plants, weeds or amoeba, you do not seem to know the concept of life in Buddhist philosophy.

Buddhists regard sential life only when an organism has consciousness and can perceive five sensations. Plants and microbes may grow and multiply and may have some senses but not all the five senses. It is important to know which organism has sensual life and which are not, as practising Buddhists refrain from killing sentient beings.

So is the process of rebirths limited to sential life, and not to all life forms like plants and microbes as you think. Sperms and ova can move and have some form of sense but they do not become a sential life unless they meet and develop into a zygote and undergo further development when the so-called 'soul' combines with this body. This process may be termed reincarnation or rebirth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 519 times
To speak about reincarnation I feel that, that is something only you would know the answer to u may feel humble u may show more dedication, you may find yourself giving a little bit more to do right. Everyone has a soul everyone may loose their soul at one time they ought to, how ever would you grow. Just like a flower you have to water it for it to grow.So to me I feel their is no right or wrong answer on reincarnation you were given a gift and that means more Love. To each is own.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:58 AM

855 posts, read 624,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Why do you think it is a possibility? Have you ever had experiences that made me you think reincarnation is an option?
I don't rule it out anymore. It makes as much sense to me as the
other scenarios I grew up believing in. What I find really compelling is
instances where very young children recall life events they could not
have possibly experienced in their current lifetime, and which are
found to have really happened upon further investigation.

-

Old 05-19-2017, 02:00 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
I have had many past life dreams so have no doubt,in one of my past lives that I did dream about I was a Russian dancer,and that certainly explains why I was obsessed with dance as a child I grew out of it and why I studied Russian studies at university (I had no current life connection to Russia) and why I was fixed on Russia.I collected Russian music etc.

I think your passions,interests and your dreams give the best insight into your past lives.
People are not intuitive anymore and use only reason so don't know about their past lives.
It may be good not to know too much about your past lives however.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:30 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,032,626 times
I do not think this site existed until 2016, so it may be new to those on this thread pondering the pros and cons of rebirth. Many good sources and testimony supporting the truth of it.

Reincarnation Research – A Comprehensive Source Site

Old 05-20-2017, 08:10 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
I often wonder if evolution is tied to reincarnation ideas. For example we exchange DNA with our environment from the day we are born until the day we are deceased. Behavior can be affected by events in previous generations which have been passed on through a form of genetic memory, animal studies suggest. Also look at how animals are born with instincts that are not learned...these instincts are passed along via DNA.

Here is one such study that validates what I've just mentioned. Parental olfactory experience influences behavior and neural structure in subsequent generations.

My thoughts on it are when we die and allow for a natural burial for our body vs. cremation...the cells in our body are broken down and the DNA is released into the environment. When our sun like star runs out of fuel, it will explode in a series of pulses, throwing off much of its mass in the form of a giant shell of gas called a planetary nebula.

What remains of our sun like star is a super-dense white dwarf star at the center. The planets contained in our Milky Way are shattered by the blast. When this planet explodes our DNA is flung out into the vast Universe. We have found the building blocks of DNA in meteorites that hit earth. When meteorites containing our DNA hit another "Goldilocks zone"..i.e. planets where evolution is no doubt occurring...then our DNA is exchanged with the environment and used in the process of evolution that occurs on planets in Goldilocks zones. Thus we evolve into a species and perhaps carry some memory of our past existence in the traits that are carried on in our DNA.

This is my educated guess on how Reincarnation is possible.

I am trying to keep this as non-science sounding as I possibly can but hopefully this type of discussion will be allowed here as it involves known facts about how the Universe works.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-20-2017 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 01:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I often wonder if evolution is tied to reincarnation ideas. For example we exchange DNA with our environment from the day we are born until the day we are deceased. Behavior can be affected by events in previous generations which have been passed on through a form of genetic memory, animal studies suggest. Also look at how animals are born with instincts that are not learned...these instincts are passed along via DNA.

Here is one such study that validates what I've just mentioned. Parental olfactory experience influences behavior and neural structure in subsequent generations.

My thoughts on it are when we die and allow for a natural burial for our body vs. cremation...the cells in our body are broken down and the DNA is released into the environment. When our sun like star runs out of fuel, it will explode in a series of pulses, throwing off much of its mass in the form of a giant shell of gas called a planetary nebula.

What remains of our sun like star is a super-dense white dwarf star at the center. The planets contained in our Milky Way are shattered by the blast. When this planet explodes our DNA is flung out into the vast Universe. We have found the building blocks of DNA in meteorites that hit earth. When meteorites containing our DNA hit another "Goldilocks zone"..i.e. planets where evolution is no doubt occurring...then our DNA is exchanged with the environment and used in the process of evolution that occurs on planets in Goldilocks zones. Thus we evolve into a species and perhaps carry some memory of our past existence in the traits that are carried on in our DNA.

This is my educated guess on how Reincarnation is possible.

I am trying to keep this as non-science sounding as I possibly can but hopefully this type of discussion will be allowed here as it involves known facts about how the Universe works.
I like this...

Old 05-21-2017, 03:50 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I like this...
Thanks!

I also think it can occur long before our sun dies.

Here is another educated guess...our DNA is exchanged with the environment and winds up being horizontally transferred into another human. When this human reproduces there's the opportunity for a memory trait of yours to be inherited and expressed in the offspring...and a piece of you lives on.

Seems plausible to me. Which might help to explain memories of past lives, child prodigies and advanced conscious beings.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
when the brain state matches another it will remember the same things. When is the likelyhood of brain states matching? In offspring.

"coding" a memory into dna? well protein concentration can probably back code dna, so yeah, the memory can be stored in dna.

the evidence of that would be "habits" are coded in so why can't memory? I see no reason why not.

And, if we are our memories, well then, guess what?

however, its not in a textbook so we might as well ignore it. Its not a science based conclusion.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Thanks!

I also think it can occur long before our sun dies.

Here is another educated guess...our DNA is exchanged with the environment and winds up being horizontally transferred into another human. When this human reproduces there's the opportunity for a memory trait of yours to be inherited and expressed in the offspring...and a piece of you lives on.

Seems plausible to me. Which might help to explain memories of past lives, child prodigies and advanced conscious beings.
hmm, "... Exchanged with the environment..."

see that trans !!!!, guess its ok when your chew toy friend says it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality