Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I do believe in Jesus Christ and I am trying to make him be my Lord and Saviour, also if I do go to Heaven after I die will Jesus be there?
That seems to me to be a question you should ask God about yourself, not atheists and others who might choose to ridicule your faith because they profess to have none themselves.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." James 1: 5

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/james/1/5#5

God is not found through excercising the intellect. There are other tools, such as fasting, meditation, scripture study, singing hymns, listening to uplifting music, selfless service, excercising even only a tiny bit of faith if that's all you are capable of, and humble and sincere prayer.

"And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, (a very tiny seed) ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you." Luke 17: 5-6

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/luke/17/5-6#5

There is a way to develop faith to the point where you need not have faith in that thing anymore, you have knowledge! But admittedly it takes some effort. Don't let the atheists discourage you, they know not what they do, being in my opinion pridefully puffed up in their little arm of flesh intellectual understandings and denying the very God who made them, created this planet, and gave them an opportunity to experience mortal life for a little while.

"Now, as I said concerning faith—that it was not a perfect knowledge—even so it is with my words. Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection, any more than faith is a perfect knowledge. But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.

Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.

Now behold, would not this increase your faith? I say unto you, Yea; nevertheless it hath not grown up to a perfect knowledge. But behold, as the seed swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, then you must needs say that the seed is good; for behold it swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow. And now, behold, will not this strengthen your faith? Yea, it will strengthen your faith: for ye will say I know that this is a good seed; for behold it sprouteth and beginneth to grow.

And now, behold, are ye sure that this is a good seed? I say unto you, Yea; for every seed bringeth forth unto its own likeness. Therefore, if a seed groweth it is good, but if it groweth not, behold it is not good, therefore it is cast away.

And now, behold, because ye have tried the experiment, and planted the seed, and it swelleth and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, ye must needs know that the seed is good. And now, behold, is your knowledge perfect? Yea, your knowledge is perfect in that thing, and your faith is dormant; and this because you know, for ye know that the word hath swelled your souls, and ye also know that it hath sprouted up, that your understanding doth begin to be enlightened, and your mind doth begin to expand." Alma 32: 26-34

http://scriptures.lds.org/en/alma/32/26-34#26

I wish you the very best with your venture. Yes, indeed, God lives and Jesus is the Christ! They will reveal themselves to the faithful, standing already at your door and knocking, waiting only for you to exercise some faith and invite them in to your awareness...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default Condolences

I'd say that you should visit with your minister, priest or church father, and perhaps the congregation will say a prayer for your departed loved ones as well. it does seem a bit odd to attempt to gain spiritual comfort and solace from the rabble here on C-D (I include myself, BTW) , especially given our vast and noisy outbursts and opinions about such a hot topic. I'd hope you don't put too much store in what we all mutter....

The one place we can all agree that your grandparents will live on? In the loving memories you have of them. That can never die, no matter which "religion", half-baked or "over-cooked" belief system you care to adopt or be convinced of. After all, to paraphrase a point the Christian crowd are so fond of threatening with, "what if you're wrong" about God?

So do celebrate their lives with your family, and let them go to their final true peaceful resting place... in your mind.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,375,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I'd say that you should visit with your minister, priest or church father, and perhaps the congregation will say a prayer for your departed loved ones as well. it does seem a bit odd to attempt to gain spiritual comfort and solace from the rabble here on C-D (I include myself, BTW) , especially given our vast and noisy outbursts and opinions about such a hot topic. I'd hope you don't put too much store in what we all mutter....

The one place we can all agree that your grandparents will live on? In the loving memories you have of them. That can never die, no matter which "religion", half-baked or "over-cooked" belief system you care to adopt or be convinced of. After all, to paraphrase a point the Christian crowd are so fond of threatening with, "what if you're wrong" about God?

So do celebrate their lives with your family, and let them go to their final true peaceful resting place... in your mind.
Good honest post from your point of view rifle, but you're obviously a whole lot younger than I am if you think that memories can never die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality