Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:58 AM

598 posts, read 917,329 times

Advertisements

Isn't that what religion is?

If there was a universal boss-man named "God", that is an extraordinary claim. Where's a single testable evidence? People believing it rely on 100% faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
And so therefore, in the face of your incontestable argument, people should simply abandon religion? I don't understand why you saw the need to start a thread like this.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM

354 posts, read 749,559 times
our evidence is we felt God in our lives. our evidence is we can't live/exist without believing in God. like i said i cant fathom how an atheist just exist and not believe in God and afterlife. that is how my mind and conscience feel comfy. now why can't non believers accept that is beyond me.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:17 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Isn't that what religion is?

If there was a universal boss-man named "God", that is an extraordinary claim. Where's a single testable evidence? People believing it rely on 100% faith.
Extraordinary claim is correct. All attempts to provide 'evidence' is weak and feeble. People believe what they want to believe, even if evidence is lacking. Instead of providing evidence the faithful become hostile toward critics.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
our evidence is we felt God in our lives. our evidence is we can't live/exist without believing in God. like i said i cant fathom how an atheist just exist and not believe in God and afterlife. that is how my mind and conscience feel comfy. now why can't non believers accept that is beyond me.
I think 'comfy' has a lot to do with it. I've thought about how easy and comfortable believing in 'god' would be, but just can't force myself to do it. To be able to just say 'god did it' instead of studying sciences, when things go wrong just be able to think 'well, it's in god's master plan' and not have to worry about life as much. To not have to take 'wordly' responsibility for my actions, but just tell myself that nomatter what happens on earth, I'll be able to go to 'heaven' and be happy when it's all over.

I just can't believe that. I am my own person, and I am my own actions, and I take responsibility for what happens in my life...I don't blame it on some invisible man.

I can accept that people believe in god, I just think it's silly.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,881 times
I also cannot understand how believing in a god gives comfort.

If there is a god he’s standing around as young children get raped and tortured.
Theres no way I’d worship a thing like that.

We are just turds to this god. Better to flush us as quickly as possible.

Last edited by Aeroman; 02-24-2010 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Noah and the flood perhaps

Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default What? an odd conclusion, I'd say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And so therefore, in the face of your incontestable argument, people should simply abandon religion? I don't understand why you saw the need to start a thread like this.
You'd rather not have such discussions, Fred? No, I think it's yet another honest attempt to bridge the gap between reality and it's consequences, versus what has become an apparently impossible task of breaking through the wall of stubbornness that attends Christianity.

I started posting on C-D about 1.5 yrs ago, and saw some unbelievable posts about the basis for religion, about literalist's standfast beliefs in essentially everything written in their particular translation of the bible that was at hand (and thus possibly very different from other translations).

I naively thought perhaps some calm and rational discourse might ensue, and we could review the evidence for and against biblical literalism, and equally, for or against various well-documented scientific findings.

What I found was Christian or Islamic Intransigent Dogmo-Theism (IDT) run amok. Now comes Bud325 asking a basic and straightforward question. Perhaps he's hoping that some here might be willing to honestly examine their beliefs, but instead you come to a predictable illogical rebuke.

There's no such suggestion that folks should "just abandon" their beliefs without some careful consideration. But now, I'd ask, if after a careful and thoughtful review of the fallacies in anyone's long-held beliefs [religious or scientific] some questions might occur, why wouldn't they consider the possibility of abandoning it? Of abandoning a fairy tale if that's what they conclude? Why indeed.

That seems wholly unlikey with Christians. I later discovered that devout fundamentalist Christians, in the main, will never change their minds about their beliefs, those that have been burned in deeply while they were children, hastened along by a colorful commentary about nasty punishments in hell, or prayers ignored or social scorn.

Hard to set yourself apart from your local culture just for being true to your heart and mind, huh? So, no, I for one would not expect you to just abandon anything. I know how hard it is for you.

Fortunately, us atheists do not have to suffer the consequences of open-mindedness, or of a mid-life alteration in our basic beliefs. We're free to look at all the options, and we do. And we find all sorts of interesting stuff that is,apparently, philosophically unavailable to theists. Or else, you'll go to HELL!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:48 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
our evidence is we can't live/exist without believing in God.
I live and exist and I don't believe in god.

A pretty straight forward testable truth.

A must believe in G or A cannot exist, but B does not believe in G, yet exists. Therefore existence is not dependent upon belief in G.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:51 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Abandoning or not abandoning religion is a personal matter. The problem arises when religion intrudes into the public debate. If we are to be forced, coerced or cajoled to live our lives based upon religious principles then the foundation for those principles must be able to withstand scrutiny.

Think of it as conservative theist think about homosexuality, it's fine in the privacy of your home or church, but do you have to do that stuff in public where children can see?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:13 AM

354 posts, read 749,559 times
Former believers and non believers blame God for everything that happens in the world. again the diff perception of the free will God gave us, come into play here. life on earth ends. that is a fact. just some end their life in inhuman way, i agree. but if you believe in afterlife these innocent children will have eternal life of no more suffering,pain,hurt. why do they have to die brutally? i don't know. If you believe in Jesus, being God Himself. Why did He choose to die brutally and be accused of something He didn't do as a way to save mankind? i don't know. He is all powerful and yet he chose to suffer for salvation of mankind. u also have to know that whoever murder/abuse/rape these children did it on their own. God did not ask them to do it. it is their choice to give in to their evil side that made them do it.

why is it that your anger to God is directed towards those that believe in Him? why don't you attack the air or something? do u really think u can change our mind? so u were a believer that has seen the "light".. congrats. but your light is not everyone's light.

Last edited by baket; 02-24-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality