Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:05 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,976 times

Advertisements

Talking about when you read both the Old and New Testaments.

How does it make you feel, uplifted, depressed, confused, happy, etc.? In your own words, how would you describe the mood/s that follow your reading of scripture? I'm asking this because someone once spoke about this on another thread, and I thought that it would make a good general question to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post

How does it make you feel, uplifted, depressed, confused, happy, etc.? In your own words, how would you describe the mood/s that follow your reading of scripture? I'm asking this because someone once spoke about this on another thread, and I thought that it would make a good general question to ask.

I feel nothing; I gave it up for Lent.

The bible always left me with questions. Each question begat more questions. I started reading the bible a LONG time ago when I was young. It started in ernest around the time I was in 7th grade. During theology class in Catholic school, the fathers would teach us Catholic doctrine. Every time I tried to reconcile what they taught me with what the bible said, it made me more and more inquisitive. Thinks didn't jive or make sense. When I left the Church and started attending different Protestant and even evangelical churches, the same thing would happen.

I think inquisitive is the right word for what I feel when I would read it. It hasn't really filled me with any emotion, but it sure made me want to dig into its history and origins. The word "why" got me into nothing but trouble with all the denominations I went to...and that's a good thing I think.

Last edited by Fullback32; 03-01-2010 at 04:23 PM..

Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM

312 posts, read 868,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
I feel nothing; I gave it up for Lent.

The bible always left me with questions. Each question begat more questions. I started reading the bible a LONG time ago when I was young. It started in ernest around the time I was in 7th grade. During theology class in Catholic school, the fathers would teach us Catholic doctrine. Every time I tried to reconcile what they taught me with what the bible said, it made me more and more inquisitive. Thinks didn't jive or make sense. When I left the Church and started attending different Protestant and even evangelical churches, the same thing would happen.

I think inquisitive is the right word for what I feel when I would read it. It hasn't really filled me with any emotion, but it sure made me want to dig into its history and origins. The word "why" got me into nothing but trouble with all the denominations I went to...and that's a good thing I think.
Well inquisitive is a great way to approach reading the Bible! There is nothing wrong with questioning your beliefs in the light of the Bible either... that is actually a very smart thing to do. ( Luke wrote that the Jews of Beroea were “more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so.” (Acts 17:10,11) We can and should do that same!

When I read the Bible it makes me feel hopeful- there is so much to look forward to with God's Kingdom. That is the main theme of the Bible and is mentioned in both the Hebrew scriptures (Old Testament) and the Christian Greek scriptures (New Testament). God's Kingdom is the only hope for mankind and that makes me look forward to future!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,111,445 times
How does it make me feel?

Like an atheist

Don't get me wrong, there are some good things in it. If people were to live their lives by some of the things Jesus taught, we'd probably be living in a better place right here on earth. No need to wait for some afterlife.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,556,201 times
Quote:

Even though I do not believe the Bible is the word of God, I do see it as a great picture of how we humans are at our best and at our worst.

I see great wisdom in it.

When I read it I do not believe in all the supernatural things and I see them as embelishment of some events. It is no different than other mythological accounts around the world.

I read it in a way the way Thomas Jefferson read it. He actually cut out a lot of the gospels and simply left the actual words of Jesus. He had great respect and admiration for Jesus wisdom but not much for the writers, specifically Paul.

You have great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-02-2010, 04:34 AM

437 posts, read 1,072,520 times
It makes me feel informed; when I have questions, it's a good thing. Questions make you examine your beliefs and learn more.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,291 times
Quote:

OT: 99% of it leaves me in disgust, hysterics, or utter confusion. 1% seems like decent advice (some of the Psalms or Proverbs).

NT: Amazed at the level of creativity and plagiarism.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:10 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,579,709 times
You have to have the heart for the Lord when reading the bible or it will leave you confused and possibly frightened ,only a true believer understands the word of God and finds comfort and guidance..

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,739,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
You have to have the heart for the Lord when reading the bible or it will leave you confused and possibly frightened ,only a true believer understands the word of God and finds comfort and guidance..
Well, obviously.

Still, IMO it is not the word of god, it is the word of man trying both to continue the telling of cultural myths and to attempt to make sense of the world around him.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Translation from Theist into English. You need to read the Bible with blind faith or it's a real turn - off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality