Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times

Advertisements

I'm going to briefly cover a secular example of where some recent genome mapping studies have tossed out some "established" old concepts.

Reported today on NPR. Findings to be published in, I believe, the journal Nature.

American scientists, using the latest iterations of advanced DNA genome mapping of specific, traceable genetic "markers", have re-defined the development pathways of the domesticated dog. Always known to have arisen from the wild wolf, but assumed to have been purely an eastern/Asian thing. But these scientists took samples of wild wolf populations, documented specific incontrovertible DNA sequence markers and then looked for them in global modern dog populations.

They found that, yes, the typical Asian dog breeds (notice I didn't say "species"...) did indeed advance from certain Eastern / Asian wolf populations. Logical. But they also found that the majority of other species were bred from Middle Eastern or southern European wolf populations.

This flies in the face of older assumed lineage models which were based on cultural models of human development. Of ancient writings, for instance. Not insignificantly, when this newer hypothesis was subjected to cross-correlation by other means, they predictably found further evidence in the form of other early historical writings, and then, most conclusively, in the remnant bones of ancient mummified dogs where they could extract DNA samples that corroborated with their newer databases and genetic markers which were previously unavailable.

I also note that these honest scientists have couched their interesting findings in quite conservative conclusions, versus the assertion of biased and overstated conclusions that anti-science crowds regularly accuse them of. Didn't happen here. Importantly, en-route to a more definitive conclusion, they called for more research, and detailed the study's possible shortcomings and how these might affect the current conclusions. But "the evidence strongly suggests..", as they say. And having been well-designed and laid out, it's hard to find fault with their methods or early conclusions.

Science marches on, and not according to some outside drumbeat or fervent wishes. This is how modern conclusions about lineage are reached. Pure, dispassionate, objective, hands-on science. No magic sprinkles, no mumbo-jumbo, no wishful thinking. This is how the work on the cultural advancement and spread of human civilization has been recently revisited.

Just thought you might be interested is all. Thanks for playing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
Thanks for posting. I look forward to reading the full article (especially since I'm a dog lover).
Oh, and nice job exemplifying the scientific process.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:03 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Default A....WWwwwhhoooooooooooo......

Just FYI, here's the NPR article which I pulled off their web page.

Dogs Likely Descended From Middle Eastern Wolf : NPR

I'll find the follow-up as to here it will be formally published.

Woof woof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality