Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 AM

310 posts, read 590,197 times

Advertisements

Note: I am not looking for religiously-based posts in this thread. This is purely a hypothetical philosophical thread. Please keep your religious beliefs out of it. If you can't do that then please don't respond.

Hypothetical question: What do you see as the pros and cons of human immortality? Assume for the sake of the argument that science discovers how to halt aging, essentially rendering humans immortal other than by accidental death or suicide. Let's also assume that the method of making one immortal is free and available to anyone that wants it.

Issues I see would be the necessity to control population growth, what we would do with immortal but violent criminals, et cetera. I also assume that some people would simply get tired living so voluntary euthanasia or assisted suicide would need to be addressed.

What are your thoughts? Remember, this is a philosophical question, so keep religion beliefs and biases out of the discussion please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:38 AM

354 posts, read 749,893 times
well you forgot an important factor in immortality. diseases. if i were to live immortally - disease free, forever 18, and with loads of money... hell yeah i will sign up anytime. population growth is not big deal, if they discover how to be immortal, surely there will be kick ass contraceptive too. the problem is yeah, the violent criminals.

there is also a flaw in your question. once you were immortal, how can you die via euthanasia or suicide? is your immortality reversible?

Last edited by baket; 03-29-2010 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
well you forgot an important factor in immortality. diseases. if i were to live immortally - disease free, forever 18, and with loads of money... hell yeah i will sign up anytime. population growth is not big deal, if they discover how to be immortal, surely there will be kick ass contraceptive too. the problem is yeah, the violent criminals.

there is also a flaw in your question. once you were immortal, how can you die via euthanasia or suicide? is your immortality reversible?
I didn't "forget" anything. It's not my problem you didn't understand the question. Here's a hint: immortal is not the same as invincible or indestructible. Even fictional immortals like the Highlander or Dracula can be killed.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:40 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,405,648 times
One thing that would be affected would be the notion of career. If I were immortal, I'd want to pursue many different careers, mastering each one before moving on to the next. I'd devote one career, early in my immortal life, to amassing a big-enough fortune that the interest would support me forever, enabling me to return to college, take vacations, do volunteer work, etc. whenever I wanted to. (Interesting economic question: could everyone who wants to eventually become wealthy?)

As someone once pointed out in a similar discussion, many people don't know what to do with the lifespan that they have now. I assume many people would "check out" after a century of two. I have my doubts as to whether the human mind is made for immortality. Would boredom overcome us all eventually?

Another factor to consider is whether society and technology will continue on an upward trend. If civilization collapses, for whatever reason (climate change, plague, wars, etc.), the means to immortality might go with it. For example, if it's a complex drug that allows immortality, then the collapse of civilization might halt production and supply of the drug. If society does progress long enough, though, perhaps we'd gradually replace our flesh-and-blood bodies with more-durable robotic versions -- even transferring our consciousnesses to computer models of our brains. If that happens, it's likely our minds could be enhanced -- even linked and networked.

Religion, from a philosophical standpoint, will be interesting. How many religious people will forego immortality because they believe it isn't part of God's plan? I imagine we'll eventually understand the workings of the universe well enough that the question of whether God exists will be definitively answered at some point.

Of course, immortality isn't absolute: eventually, our universe is going to end, either in a collapse and big bang or in an eternal expansion and cool-down to absolute zero. Will we eventually find a way to get to another universe, if they exist?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times
Goodness, who wouldn't opt for immortality with an escape clause?

Old 03-29-2010, 01:54 PM

354 posts, read 749,893 times
it is not my fault u dont know what immortal means:

Immortal | Define Immortal at Dictionary.com

good point on dracula but since dracula has a flaw/weakness, even superman, then they can not be classified as immortal.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Oh, good remarks Honuman! I don't know if everyone could eventually become wealthy. I would think not, since a lot of people can't seem to manage their money no matter what. There would also be at
least some population turnover from people that refused immortality, accidental deaths, and people that killed themselves for whatever reason.

I do agree that there would be a lot of potential for boredom. I think we'd see a renewed push to get off the planet, because if one is effectively immortal then long-term space travel would not have the same
issues it does now. Hell, I would probably volunteer to be a settler on another planet if I had that opportunity! And I agree with you about careers. I would certainly want to experience several. For instance I would go to both medical school and law school.

I would gladly accept immortality, as long as I had the opportunity to die if I chose to do so.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,252,062 times
unless you can make the sun immortal then its no point sinse we would all die when the sun burns out
but on the philisophical point of view-we are eternal beings traped in temporary bodies so IMO we already are immortal
who would want to live on the material plane forever i would much rather live in the spiritual world forever feeling bliss

oh yeah and the whole population thing would be a real problem

Old 03-29-2010, 02:23 PM

33,571 posts, read 37,188,083 times
When I was 17, I thought I was immortal, now however I'm in my late 60s, and I'm not so sure.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:05 PM

680 posts, read 1,385,287 times
The obvious problem, population aside (and this would be insurmountable for those of us who love children), is that almost all people would die within a few thousand years from accidents. Suppose that the probability of dying from an accident in any given year is one in 1,000. If that is the case, then the odds that a person would still be alive in 1,000 years would be approximately 37%. An individual's odds of living for 5,000 years would be only 0.67%, and for 10,000 years a vanishingly minute chance of 0.005%.*

In addition to accidents, we'd eventually face inevitable disasters on a scale that we can scarcely comprehend, such as climate change (an ice age would be catastrophic and is definitely going to occur within a few thousands years), eruptions of super volcanoes like Yellowstone, reversals in the earth's magnetic field, wars...

Our so-called immortality would be reduced to nothing more than extended lifespans. If the population problem could be solved so that people can still have families, I would definitely opt in. I would love to see Yellowstone erupt, even if I died a few minutes after witnessing the sky being blotted out by a vast cloud of ash and debris. But I'd probably die from an accident before then. Just don't put me on life support. The euthanasia option has to be available or else I'm out.

*[The formula for deriving this is to take the odds of living in any given year, .999, and raise that to the power of 1,000 which gives an answer of .3677777 = 37%, give or take. Similarly, .999 raised to the 5,000th power gives approximately .0067 or 0.67% odds of being alive for that long.]

Last edited by tongpa-nyi; 03-29-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality