Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What about the Jew who has to go to work on Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana, the first day of Pesach, and the Sabbath? Those holidays are not as universally recognized as Easter, though quite possibly more important comparatively. I am lucky that I go to a Jewish college and my employment is linked to school, so I have not yet been forced to work, but next year I imagine it will be quite a bit more difficult to follow my beliefs.

Don't even try to take away my Christmas Chinese food and movies. :P If I am forced to conform to YOUR holidays, I will enjoy them as I see fit. You are free to go to the store on the High Holy Days, I am free to go shopping on Easter and Christmas.
If you as a non Christian wants to patronize a Buddhist owned Chinese restaurant on Xmas or Easter I do not have an issue with that. I am not trying to take away your Christman Chinese meal. In fact there should a few non Christian businesses remaining open to cater to the non Christian needs. I understand that not all people celebrate the holidays. However the big issue I have is seeing holidays turning into normal business days and people are being forced to work instead of being with their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Life is full of disappointments...ADULTS handle it.
Even if it means not dressing up (pride) on a specific day , not whining because there aren't any more days in the whole year to dress up and go to church

I am an atheist...

I once worked rotating hours and rotating shifts

I happily traded days with those who wanted to be off on holidays.

FACT:

CHRISTIANS DO shop on Sundays....that sad heartbreaking Hallmark tear jerker about the mean old atheist forcing the Christian to work...is erroneous and quite silly.

Christians shop and so OWNERS keep their businesses open to accomodate them.
This is not about stores being open on Sundays. My issue is not about stores being open on Sundays. In fact it is nesscessary because nowadays both parents work in most families and because of all the company downsizing ,mandatory overtime on Saturday is becoming more rampant and people need some time to shop and do errands. Even today there are things you cannot do on Sunday such as going to the post office etc. The issue I was dealing with was certain holidays and that is a different ballgame than about regular Sundays.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,531 times
You know whats the saddest thing to me about this thread? That the OP let their holiday enjoyment be diminished in some capacity simply because others did not celebrate the day the way he/she thought it should be.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
You know whats the saddest thing to me about this thread? That the OP let their holiday enjoyment be diminished in some capacity simply because others did not celebrate the day the way he/she thought it should be.
IT isn't that. I DID enjoy my holiday. I just don't want to see the holidays being taken over by big business. With the way things are going there may come a day the holidays will become just other business days and they will be no more to enjoy.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
On the other hand, the only down part of my Sunday was that I had to pick up a few groceries early in the morning, and because of left over religious Blue Laws, I couldn't buy any beer for our guests.

So yeah,

Can't buy beer because of religion makes Homer something something.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmac View Post
Hey it's the way of the world Big Business has taken over. Plus people dont like being couped up all day.

when i was growing up on xmas everything used to be closed all day, now look movies are open on regular schedules, it's cause they have become big business days for companies to make coin
Closed all day!! Hell man, when I was a kid everything was closed for a week...yeah A WEEK! From Christmas Eve to 2nd of January... AND we didn't have fridges or freezers. We had to buy enough stuff to last the week and hang perishables outside the window in bags to keep them cold. Ah... them were the days lad!

These days in my home country the supermarkets close for Christmas day only (and there's more and more opening that day too) and when they reopen on Boxing day, people are rushing back as if they haven't been fed for a month.

Still, I think it's great being able to go shopping on Christmas day. At least it saves being subjected to yet another viewing of 'Guns of Navarone', 'Where Eagles Dare', The Great Escape' or 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'

Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 AM

241 posts, read 267,471 times
OP, maybe you could just try minding your own business and letting people live their own lives? Concentrate on your own life..who cares if some people (gasp!) wear jeans on Easter?! lmao!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Hey I'm Catholic, and I wore jeans to church. In fact, I changed into shorts afterward. It's not often that we in Northeast Ohio get a string of 70+ or 80 degree days in early April. Besides (and this is my opinion) I don't think that God cares if one dresses up or not. The point of worshiping God is just that, to worship and offer praise. It's not a fashion show. Does it make me any less of a believer???

Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What about the Jew who has to go to work on Yom Kippur, Rosh Hashana, the first day of Pesach, and the Sabbath? Those holidays are not as universally recognized as Easter, though quite possibly more important comparatively. I am lucky that I go to a Jewish college and my employment is linked to school, so I have not yet been forced to work, but next year I imagine it will be quite a bit more difficult to follow my beliefs.

Don't even try to take away my Christmas Chinese food and movies. :P If I am forced to conform to YOUR holidays, I will enjoy them as I see fit. You are free to go to the store on the High Holy Days, I am free to go shopping on Easter and Christmas.

I agree Charolastra!
Oye vey.... Lose the chinese food Heaven forbid what would we do in my family... Good bye family night with chinese food and movies. I would die if everything was shut down on easter too... I'd be crying buckets!!

I just don't understand all the commotion... Just celebrate your holidays and be happy!

Old 04-05-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirriam View Post
OP, maybe you could just try minding your own business and letting people live their own lives? Concentrate on your own life..who cares if some people (gasp!) wear jeans on Easter?! lmao!
I DID acknowleged that people do have the right to chose to wear what they want to wear on easter in my original post and I agree what they wear or do is their business. I was just expressing a yearning for the nostalgic and I meant no harm to anyone! Can't you read? I am sorry if you took this as a personal affront. It was not meant to be. It is my right and my business to to express a yearning for the nostalgic way and it is none of YOUR business to tell me how to feel. If you cannot agree to disagree in a civil way without being accusatory then please LEAVE ME ALONE!

Last edited by otters21; 04-05-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality