Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:57 AM

290 posts, read 388,679 times

Advertisements

All beliefs and religious views welcome!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 10:42 AM

360 posts, read 444,545 times
Maybe because He made us and everything around us, all things we see and all we don't, and maybe, just maybe, He wants us to give him a little thanks for it?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,685 times
As a Christian,I have wondered this myself.Does He really wants us to do this,or is this something we have invented?Perhaps He did this all,starting with the Big Bang,just to let things run and see what happens.Who knows,maybe He has no idea how things were going to turn out.

Not quite related,but Bernadette Roberts,a Christian contemplative,has wondered thisoes God know He is God?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:10 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,541 times
I've always wondered that too. I never really understood the jealous God thing. If he's all knowing and all powerful, what's there to be jealous of? Did some long forgotten fertility god make him feel inadequate?

Old 05-01-2010, 11:31 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
Maybe because He made us and everything around us, all things we see and all we don't, and maybe, just maybe, He wants us to give him a little thanks for it?
You are attributing human ego and personality traits to a being that allegedly created the universe (in a day according to your myth). It is rather doubtful that such a being expects worship from the infinitely tiny beings inhabiting his creation any more than a baker expects praise from the bacteria and fungus inhabiting the cakes and muffins in his storefront window.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:43 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
I dont get the first 4 commandments, all I see is Me ME ME and ego and jealous of other gods (which are not suppose to exist anyway)

I see it as I created you, so I demand worship, well to that I say, I didn't ask to be created and why should I pay for sins of those thousands of years ago. Hold a grudge much? These things and more are primarily why I am an atheist.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM

433 posts, read 587,279 times
God does not; humans do.

So, what does that mean? Well, there are humans who want to control other humans in the name of God, so they created religion and religious God. Religion is all about controlling others or being controlled by others. Why play controlling game? For money, and for achieving ones own goals at the costs of those being controlled.

In other words, "worshiping" = "controlling" in the name of God.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:48 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
God does not; humans do.

So, what does that mean? Well, there are humans who want to control other humans in the name of God, so they created religion and religious God. Religion is all about controlling others or being controlled by others. Why play controlling game? For money, and for achieving ones own goals at the costs of those being controlled.

In other words, "worshiping" = "controlling" in the name of God.
I do think this was the very reason the Bible was written to instill fear in order to control. And money, oh yea just look at the Vatican and some of these churches and temples. If it is truly about god, why not just worship in a large field or old building, seems it is all about show.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:04 PM

457 posts, read 757,104 times
I see no reason at all in the need for a supreme being to require worship. It would appear to serve no purpose other than to inflate an ego. Requiring a constant supply of praise from lower beings would indicate a lack of self or confidence and I feel any being powerful enough or intelligent enough to create a "people","world" a "universe" or "muliverse" would be free of these petty human emotions.
Then again I'm Agnostic.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I dont get the first 4 commandments, all I see is Me ME ME and ego and jealous of other gods (which are not suppose to exist anyway)

I see it as I created you, so I demand worship, well to that I say, I didn't ask to be created and why should I pay for sins of those thousands of years ago. Hold a grudge much? These things and more are primarily why I am an atheist.
Funny reason to be an atheist.

The fact that you don't like how God acts has nothing to do with whether He exists. Disagreeable behavior only proves that you disapprove of how God acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality