Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

...than Catholic books in the bible?

I feel like this question might have been asked before, but I can't find it. It's been referenced a few times. Can anybody help me out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 03:29 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

I feel like this question might have been asked before, but I can't find it. It's been referenced a few times. Can anybody help me out here?
Certain books called the apocrypha were not included because Protestants did not believe that these books had the same "weight" and inspiration as the other books of the Bible.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Thanks kaykay.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:46 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

During the Protestant Reformation, some reformers cut out books of the Bible that contradicted some of the reformers' beliefs.

In fact, some of the early Reformers wanted to cut out even more books. Martin Luther wanted to chop out the epistle of St. James, and he had strong reservations about the epistles of John.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:26 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
During the Protestant Reformation, some reformers cut out books of the Bible that contradicted some of the reformers' beliefs.

In fact, some of the early Reformers wanted to cut out even more books. Martin Luther wanted to chop out the epistle of St. James, and he had strong reservations about the epistles of John.
Not exactly...the books were added...

Hebrew Bible (24 books)

The Law

Genesis

Exodus

Leviticus

Numbers

Deuteronomy

The Prophets

Joshua

Judges

Samuel

Kings

Isaiah

Jeremiah

Ezekiel

The 12 Minor Prophets

The Writings

Psalms

Proverbs

Job

Song of Solomon

Ruth

Lamentations

Ecclesiastes

Esther

Daniel

Ezra-Nehemiah

Chronicles

Roman Catholic Bible (46 books)

The Law

Genesis

Exodus

Leviticus

Numbers

Deuteronomy

History

Joshua

Judges

Ruth

1 and 2 Samuel

1 and 2 Kings

3 and 4 Kings (Chron)

Ezra

Nehemiah

*Tobit

*Judith

Esther

*1 Maccabees

*2 Maccabees

Poetry/Wisdom

Job

Psalms

Proverbs

Ecclesiastes

Song of Solomon

*Wisdom of Solomon

*Ecclesiastieus

(Sirach)

Prophecy

Isiah

Jeremiah

Lamentations

*Baruch

Ezekiel

Daniel

Hosea

Joel

Amos

Obadiah

Jonah

Micah

Nahum

Habakkuk

Zephaniah

Haggai

Zechariah

Malachi

Protestant Bible (39 books)

The Law

Genesis

Exodus

Leviticus

Numbers

Deuteronomy

The Writings

Psalms

Proverbs

Job

Song of Solomon

Ruth

Lamentations

Ecclesiastes

Esther

Daniel

Ezra-Nehemiah

Chronicles

Poetry/Wisdom

Job

Psalms

Proverbs

Ecclesiastes

Song of Solomon

Prophecy

Isaiah

Jeremiah

Lamentations

Ezekiel

Daniel

Hosea

Joel

Amos

Obadiah

Jonah

Micah

Nahum

Habakkuk

Zephaniah

Haggai

Zechariah

Malachi.

MBG

Old 06-14-2007, 09:21 PM

743 posts, read 2,234,342 times
This is the historical timeline of the Bible:

1000-50 BC: The Old Testament books are written.

200 BC: Rabbis translate the OT from Hebrew to Greek, a translation called the "Septuagint" (abbreviation: "LXX"). The LXX ultimately includes 46 books.

AD 30-100: Christians use the LXX as their scriptures.

AD 90: Jewish rabbis meet at the Council of Javneh and decide to include in their canon only 39 books, since only these can be found in Hebrew. This "officially" separates Jewish Scripture from Christian Scripture.

AD 400: Jerome translates the Bible from Hebrew and Greek into Latin (called the "Vulgate").

AD 1536: Luther translates the Bible from Hebrew and Greek into German. Initially, his version is exactly the same as the Catholic Bible. Later, he decides that, since Jews wrote the Old Testament, theirs is the correct canon; he puts the extra 7 books in an appendix that he calls the "Apocrypha." and comments that they are "useful". Luther also wanted to eliminate, or at least put in his Apocrypha several New Testament books - the books of Jude, Hebrews, James, and Revelations, but his fellow Protestant Reformers are appalled, and these are put back in by other Protestant reformers.

AD 1546: The Catholic Council of Trent, in response to the changes in the Bible by the Protestant Reformers, re-affirms the canonicity of all 46 books.

Whether people accept this or deny this, it doesn't change the fact that it is historically accurate.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Whether people accept this or deny this, it doesn't change the fact that it is historically accurate.
What she said.

Good summary, beth ann. Thanks bunches.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:12 AM

688 posts, read 2,836,459 times
So, does this mean that I'm missing part of the Bible? Or that the Jewish is missing part of the Bible? Help?!

Old 06-15-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
So, does this mean that I'm missing part of the Bible? Or that the Jewish is missing part of the Bible? Help?!
If you have a Protestant Bible, then it is 7 books short of the Bible accepted by all Christians for over a thousand years.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:19 AM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If you have a Protestant Bible, then it is 7 books short of the Bible accepted by all Christians for over a thousand years.
Not true...the Catholic church added books to the OT cannon... I posted the books up there
^^^ The ECFs did not agree on the Apocrypha that is why the prots do not have them, they were considered extra books by many of the ECFs., being that they could not be agreed upon they were left out.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality