Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:01 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes. That's always been a good cop-out hasn't it.
Oh yeah, that's me taking the easy cop out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 12:39 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh yeah, that's me taking the easy cop out.
Clearly old girl.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Aaannnnd, we are here at square one again...Have you tested your faith?
However, I think that is a personal thing to ask one's self...it's none of our business.

Have you ever given your last bit of money away when a bill was due ...and said,
"I'm gonna trust You Lord and the
words I have read...If I give something to one that needs it, treating him as if You...I will get back more!"
This is a neat test....
ya have to be kinda on the financial edge to be able to do that tho....and believe!
Have no doubt ( that's key).

An easier one is if you are a worrier...stop...see if the world comes to an end! Ha!
See how you do banishing the habit of worry from all your thoughts...just flow and trust.

Just tests for yourself, privately.

Can you think of other ways to test your faith...like little homework assignments, lol...

Old 10-28-2018, 04:34 PM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Other than falling backwards, are there any other instructions on how to test your faith?

I don't mind testing my beliefs but I wouldn't put other beings or supernatural beings to a test that my faith depended on.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:15 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Other than falling backwards, are there any other instructions on how to test your faith?

I don't mind testing my beliefs but I wouldn't put other beings or supernatural beings to a test that my faith depended on.
Read James 2.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Have you ever given your last bit of money away when a bill was due ...and said,
"I'm gonna trust You Lord and the words I have read...If I give something to one that needs it, treating him as if You...I will get back more!"
This is a neat test....
The question is...why haven't you done so? There are enough passages in the Bible telling you not to worry about tomorrow because Yahweh will provide for you.

Quote:
Try selling all your possessions and giving the money to the poor and then relying on Yahweh to provide for your needs, as the Bible says he will.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Read James 2.
I did and thank you for referring me to a specific part of the Bible. So the instructions are to be joyful about trials in our life? I just don't think it is very instructive. It doesn't help build a skill, which in my opinion is needed in order to interact with the world and in order to connect to it. I know this because ever since I was little, I loved solving problems but this never resulted in close relationships. Most people felt that I dismissed their feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The question is...why haven't you done so? There are enough passages in the Bible telling you not to worry about tomorrow because Yahweh will provide for you.

Try selling all your possessions and giving the money to the poor and then relying on Yahweh to provide for your needs, as the Bible says he will.
While that provides more instructions it doesn't tell me when I should sell all of my possessions. Should I do it when I am a child, when I am 20 years old, after I have surrounded myself with a large house, lots of stuff and a nice network of family and friends?

Old 10-29-2018, 05:40 AM

Quote:
While that provides more instructions it doesn't tell me when I should sell all of my possessions. Should I do it when I am a child, when I am 20 years old, after I have surrounded myself with a large house, lots of stuff and a nice network of family and friends?
One would assume that you should sell them when you have enough to sell, so that their sale would benefit the poor. I mean, selling your skipping rope and a bag of marbles isn't going to do a lot for anyone is it.

I must congratulate you though. I hadn't heard that one before. Heard loads of Christians give various reasons why they don't have to follow the instruction but I've never heard that one before.

'Yes, it tells me to sell my possessions and give the money to the poor but I haven't done so because - it doesn't tell me WHEN to sell my possessions.'
Top marks!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:25 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
I did and thank you for referring me to a specific part of the Bible. So the instructions are to be joyful about trials in our life? I just don't think it is very instructive. It doesn't help build a skill, which in my opinion is needed in order to interact with the world and in order to connect to it. I know this because ever since I was little, I loved solving problems but this never resulted in close relationships. Most people felt that I dismissed their feelings.

What I was referring to was that what you do (works) shows your faith. How are you showing love to God and others? That will reveal your level of faith.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:27 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What I was referring to was that what you do (works) shows your faith. How are you showing love to God and others? That will reveal your level of faith.
I show it by not testing my faith. Therefore not moving mountains and disrupting the lives of those who live on said mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality