Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,527 times

Advertisements

I've spent a considerable amount of time researching a value that tends to be both nebulous and elusive in regards to "cost of living" between San Gabriel Valley, California and Reno, Sparks Nevada. Everywhere I go on the web, I get different answers. But... the fact remains that I may migrate to Reno because my employment is moving there.

My question is,

Is it cheaper to live in Reno Nevada than it is to live in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California? And how do you justify your conclusion? I look at net pay after expenses to see where I stand.

And,

If the income for a standard of living is @ $35k in SGV Cal, what would be the equivalent pay to maintan that standard of living in Reno, Nevada.

Why would I ask that?

Because I need to tap into the knowledge, experience, and vision of the good people who live in Reno Nevada.

Now wait a minute, Before you start to call me another beast from California, hear me out. I don't drive a fancy car and act like I own the road and the State. I was raised for a time in Northern Ohio, so I know something about there and I lived in Houston for three years, so I know something about there.

And I'm just looking for information. Thanks, Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 09:09 AM

791 posts, read 2,959,405 times
I think it just depends on what you like. There are many homes under 300k and many homes much higher, but ultimately you taste determines a "good deal".

Many things that would cost you more in CA such has car registration is cheaper here but not cheap that's for sure. And of course the lack of income tax is great! food seems to be the same but gas is cheaper.

Making a decision on where to live should include cost of living but you gotta like the place too.

I myself like fancy cars.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM

104 posts, read 485,989 times
We're moving to Northwest Reno here in a couple of weeks, and from the bit of time we've spent there so far the prices are about equivalent to what you'd see in California. I'm up north here in Chico, about 90 miles above Sacramento, and we're considered a fairly expensive place to live, so that could factor into it.

However, we've rented a 4bd/2.5ba 1800sq.ft. house with awesome views, in a wonderful neighborhood (right above the Somersett development), for $1495/mo. The going rate for houses in this category is about $1550 or so.

I wouldn't worry too much about being a 'Californian' moving to Nevada, since a lot of the people you'll meet are from California already... plus, from my experience so far, Nevadans are pretty friendly people.

It's funny how defensive we Californians get about moving out of California.

Since you didn't say exactly what city you're from, I'll have to guess that it'll be cheaper for you to live in Reno than in SoCal. It's about 7% more expensive to live in Reno than in my hometown, but I'm doubling my salary by moving there, so I think I'm coming out waaay ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: