Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 AM

843 posts, read 2,217,234 times

Advertisements

Area gets hit every now and then, as some point I'm going to catch the lackey that's dumping these and make him/her pick it up.

What I'm trying to do at this point is figure out what company is behind this 'advertising'. Perhaps someone here knows..

Every single business that's advertised this way will never get my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 02:47 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,770,912 times
It's just the local gardener/house cleaner/painter/etc. just trying to drum up a little business. Yes, annoying, but harmless.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
It's just the local gardener/house cleaner/painter/etc. just trying to drum up a little business. Yes, annoying, but harmless.
It's not, it's a pile of over 30 business card sized 'ads' being littered in every yard in my area. They often don't properly seal the little drug bags (another problem there, bags this style/size are considered drug paraphernalia in many jurisdictions) leaving 1000's of brightly colored cards blowing around around the neighborhood.

The point is that some business is littering as a business model.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
We got those for years and I never heard them referred to as drug paraphernalia. The locals recognize them instantly, stoop, pick up and toss, that is what we always did. Never even opened them

Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Most police consider small ziploc bags drug paraphernalia.

A bag of tricks - Philly.com
Spot Common Drug Paraphernalia | Testing It Up

There's plenty more. If you were ever searched and had these bags on your person or visible in your car this is probable cause to detain you, search you, your car and make your life miserable.

It's a matter of principal, someone is making money littering private property. I will find out who, and I will return these cards with the same care as they deliver them.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:51 PM

Never mind. I just got an email from the city Business License department, I'll work with them to get this stopped.

Doesn't anyone else remember 'give a hoot don't pollute'? ;-)

Old 09-18-2013, 02:08 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,522,770 times
along with 'only YOU can prevent forest fires'

i forget, what did mcgruff the crime dog say? i'm sorry your yard is being littered with someone else's crap

Old 09-18-2013, 02:33 PM

It seems petty, but you let one business get away with this and then there will be others.. and soon all the junk mail you used to get from the post office, they'll just have some homeless person dump in your yard ;-)

Old 09-18-2013, 05:14 PM

36 posts, read 55,205 times
"Take a bite out of crime"

Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Finally getting to the bottom of things. This is sorta legal:
Quote:
Sec. 8.24.050. Prohibiting distribution where properly posted.

It is unlawful for any person to distribute, deposit, place, throw, scatter or cast any handbill upon any premises, if requested by anyone thereon not to do so, or if there is placed on the premises in a conspicuous position near the entrance thereof a sign bearing the words, "No Trespassing," "No Peddlers or Agents," "No Advertisements," or any similar notice, indicating in any manner that the occupants of the premises do not desire to be molested or to have their right of privacy disturbed, or to have any such handbills left upon such premises.

(Code 1966, § 11.12.490; Ord. No. 4667, § 1, 8-27-96)
Typical, the code specifically says it's illegal to do this to parked cars, public property and vacant properties. Someone paid a city council stooge to craft this little exception.

My property is posted no trespassing so they are in clear violation. Still haven't been able to find out who's behind this, the businesses I contacted refuse to cooperate.. Kinda makes it hard to request they not do this.

Next step will be filling out 35 BBB complaint forms (I've already written a program to automate it ;-), whoever is doing this is acting as an agent of these businesses and if that's all I've got to go on..well that's all I've got. Not that I expect any results from this.

Eventually I'll catch someone in the act and find out who they're employed by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area