Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,975 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I may be taking a job at SIAD in the next week or two (VERY SHORT NOTICE) but can't really pass up the promotion.

My main questions is does anyone else work there or know the area and the best places to live around it? We are from the city now (Pittsburgh) and neither of us like "country" living. We have to have our store and shopping and such and everyone has mentioned to live near Reno and commute to SIAD. I don't mind the drive at all, as the wife would be transferring to another location in the Reno area as well.

I have noticed the cites of Doyle and Susanville, California, but would prefer to live on the Nevada side.

Any input is much appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,989 times
Cold Springs is the furthest N. area of subdivisons etc, then there is the Red Rock area. From Golden Valley to Cold Springs is called the "North Valleys" I lived in the Red Rock area for 16 years, we left a little over a year ago. Its a 20 minute ride into Reno and it is near the Ca/NV border on Hwy 395.

Do you have kids in school? If you do, that would be one concern with the N. Valleys (Cold Springs/Red Rock area) the schools out there suck, I know, my oldest graduated from the High School and my youngest got pulled out in 3rd grade and driven to a Charter School in town. N. Valley schools have issues.

There are some further Northern valleys such as Rancho Haven but I am not sure it would be any close to SIAD and its significantly further into town plus the area is much more rural with larger land parcels etc.

Doyle is a blink on the map but Susanville has civilization, a grocery store etc.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Mamacat really got it covered. There's some newer nicer homes here in Cold Springs and civilization is a short drive away. Heed her warnings about schools!

Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,975 times
No, I am divorced from a previous marriage where we have a daughter, but she will only be with me during the summer time, so school is not an issue. I have a new wife now and we are both in our early 30's.

We are really just worried about the areas to stay away from due to crime and drugs. We will probably be renting for a while until we actually decided WHERE we want to live in the long run.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:33 PM

281 posts, read 643,797 times
I used to live in Cold Springs and there is a nice subdivision there called Woodland Village. The homes are around 13 years old and newer. If you like recreational activities like riding quads or motorcycles, it backs up to BLM land and is great for that, and the mountains surrounding it are incredibly. This would give you a shorter commute, and as Mamacat said, it is still only about 20 minutes into Reno. It is only about 10 minutes or less to shopping, Walmart, etc in the North Valleys.

There are some rental homes in the area...There are some other areas of Cold Springs that are a little older and pockets of decent places mixed with not so nice places.

Susanville is nice too, but if your wife wants to work in Reno then I'd live in North Reno for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area