Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:39 PM

72 posts, read 79,979 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are evaluating cities (primarily on the West Coast, but we are leaving the entire US open as an option).

Our situation:
- Work from home, just need reliable high speed service (better than DSL, better than cellular, better than Satellite)
- Dual Income, each low six figure earner with very stable jobs
- Phoenix is too hot for us as is Corpus Christi (too hot combined with the humidity there)
- Denver is almost too cold; the 60 degree days are its saving grace and the mostly sunny winters
- Trying to stay frugal with low costs to accelerate retirement. We could have stayed in Denver, but the housing is too expensive and if we can lower our taxes that is even better (est $8000 / year income tax in Denver along with $4800 prop tax on a $450,000 home)
- Closest family is in Arizona (we are currently contemplating Prescott, Flagstaff and Santa Fe as alternatives)
- We enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, mtn biking, running, going to parks (regular and dog), restaurants (not fine dining, but we like to go to a decent dining experience twice a month - not fast food, not applebees/chilis, preferred great local spots), art
- We plan to have children in the near future

With all of the above, would you purposefully move to Reno/Sparks, NV over any other place in the 48 continental US states?

Further info:
Phoenix is too hot to move to and Vegas as well
Oregon, Idaho and California combination of taxes + cost of living is too high for us (Oregon would take $14,000/yr in income taxes). We are frugal and don't buy many "big purchases" so the sales tax isn't an issue for us.
Lower cost of living is better but we want close access (less than 1hr drive) to a city of 100K+ people. (Housing under $325K preferably for a 3bdrm/2bath 1800sq ft or bigger)

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:25 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Reno is not that much different in climate than Denver, in fact Denver can be more comfortable at certain times of the year because it's not as windy. Of the places you mentioned I would pick Santa Fe.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:41 PM

294 posts, read 337,354 times
Reno/Sparks is great up until you decide to have children and have to send them to the overcrowded public school (or maybe you won't!)

You can get decent housing for your $325K budget since the $300K and up inventory isn't actually selling at asking.

It's been high 50s during the daytime with highs of 80s and maybe even 90s -- not completely intolerable specially if you are just going to stay indoors. There's also some coworking spaces if you don't want to be stuck in your home office.

Decent food options that accommodates every diet out there with an emphasis on farm-to-table.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:56 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
In your case I would consider the Prescott area over Reno. Mainly because of the reputation of the school district and because you have family in Arizona. You do realize Flagstaff has a lot of snow in the winter, right?

I am considering Reno because we are retiring (no kids) and would prefer to be closer to Sacramento, San Francisco and Oregon.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:30 PM

72 posts, read 79,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
In your case I would consider the Prescott area over Reno. Mainly because of the reputation of the school district and because you have family in Arizona. You do realize Flagstaff has a lot of snow in the winter, right?

I am considering Reno because we are retiring (no kids) and would prefer to be closer to Sacramento, San Francisco and Oregon.
Yes, I am a little concerned for my wife and the snow in Flagstaff. It is lower on our list due to the winter time weather (we have no desire to own and maintain two houses to try to escape the winter weather). We have lived in Colorado near Boulder - last time we were living there our backyard had snow drifts that were 4-1/2' deep! So we can handle snow if everything else about a city is better than other cities.

We will certainly be heading over to Prescott and Flagstaff several times over the coming year (certainly to get away from the Phoenix area heat and additionally to get a feel for the area). One concern I have recently developed with Prescott is that the population growth is very small overall but large with older retirees and almost non-existant with younger people. Plus, I read on the Prescott forums that there is a large anti-development contingent. I personally like growth and development done in a thoughtful manner.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,883,377 times
With high income and low spending, Reno is hard to beat for tax saving. The weather is very similar to Prescott but Reno is much more happening. Flagstaff is too cold and snowy. Santa fe is very expensive and snowy.

Reno school may be crowded but quality is not bad. If you kid is gifted, Davidson Academy is among the best in the country.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:

Great reason cause you can live in a cheaper area and travel when you get bored

Old 08-10-2016, 04:53 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,754,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia775 View Post
Great reason cause you can live in a cheaper area and travel when you get bored
Buying a house has become more difficult in the past 12-18 months. It appears the area has appreciated about 15-25% during this time. I hope it doesn't continue too long.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:05 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
With high income and low spending, Reno is hard to beat for tax saving. The weather is very similar to Prescott but Reno is much more happening. Flagstaff is too cold and snowy. Santa fe is very expensive and snowy.

Reno school may be crowded but quality is not bad. If you kid is gifted, Davidson Academy is among the best in the country.
Nevada schools rank dead last in the nation, now they are planning for double sessions in Washoe County schools

Davidson is a great school but it is only for "profoundly gifted children" so it is not easy to get your kid enrolled.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Buying a house has become more difficult in the past 12-18 months. It appears the area has appreciated about 15-25% during this time. I hope it doesn't continue too long.
You have a better shot if your budget is above $300K since those houses are not moving fast enough or even selling at asking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area