Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 18,237 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I think the Reno dating scene sucks. I wish I could blame it on myself but lets elaborate ...

A little bit of my background. I am single IT and small online business owner from Germany originally. I just turned 31. I moved to Reno from Dallas 4 years ago with my girlfriend born and raised in Texas. Soon after we landed in Reno our paths diverted and I was single. I knew nobody in Reno/Sparks that time. I joined various meet up groups, went to bars, went to gyms, etc. I did a lot of snowboarding, this season has been excellent! I have made some friends, some good people. However, on almost everyone is at least 15 years older than I am.

I guess I am an average looking guy. I work on myself I am financially very stable, I have great sense of humor, I am advanterous and I do sports, I speak 4 languages fluently. I am fun to hangout I think !

I am simply looking for a girl plus minus 6 years of my age. Preferably younger. I tried to join UNR clubs, great people there. However everybody is between 17-23 and views me as an old guy. Nobody said that straight to my face, but I get that impression.

Most of the women I met were implants from California with great sense of entitlement. Some of them were not even that pretty. They want to be treated like princesses without having anything to offer. Other girls were older after divorce and/or with a baby as single moms with their own problems. I don't get that.

Out of despair, I did join some online dating networks a year ago. Came out with 0 dates.

I even have problems finding guy friends here. Somebody who would just go do sports with me or a beer on Friday night.

Now, I was raised to first fix my own self before blaming other people. But whenever I travel to other places of this country, namely the midwest, it seems I could find a woman there within a few weeks. When I go visit Germany for a few weeks I usually go on 1-2 dates without even trying. Not here.

Sorry for the long rant. Don't get me wrong. I love Reno, the outdoors is amazing, but I do have problems with the people. I don't like to give up. I wish I could continue to live here. I make good money I don't have to pay any income taxes. The airport is close I can and I do fly out. Just the people, women and friends.

I gave notice to move out of my house next month. I will be in Europe for the next several months and then I am coming back. Now I am looking to resolve the question whether I stay in Reno or move elsewhere.

Anybody willing to share his or her point of view? Anyone has a similar experience with Reno?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 05:30 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,879,495 times
Since you have online business, you can always spent half your time here and half travel around the world looking for your perfect girl.

I am not interested in dating here so I can't comment on the dating scene. I doubt Midwest dating scene is better. When I was younger and lived in the Midwest, most of my friends had family very early with lots of children. It was hard to find any single one for date. The family oriented mentality in the Midwest is very strong.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:34 PM

44 posts, read 78,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOliver View Post
Hello,

I think the Reno dating scene sucks. I wish I could blame it on myself but lets elaborate ...

A little bit of my background. I am single IT and small online business owner from Germany originally. I just turned 31. I moved to Reno from Dallas 4 years ago with my girlfriend born and raised in Texas. Soon after we landed in Reno our paths diverted and I was single. I knew nobody in Reno/Sparks that time. I joined various meet up groups, went to bars, went to gyms, etc. I did a lot of snowboarding, this season has been excellent! I have made some friends, some good people. However, on almost everyone is at least 15 years older than I am.

I guess I am an average looking guy. I work on myself I am financially very stable, I have great sense of humor, I am advanterous and I do sports, I speak 4 languages fluently. I am fun to hangout I think !

I am simply looking for a girl plus minus 6 years of my age. Preferably younger. I tried to join UNR clubs, great people there. However everybody is between 17-23 and views me as an old guy. Nobody said that straight to my face, but I get that impression.

Most of the women I met were implants from California with great sense of entitlement. Some of them were not even that pretty. They want to be treated like princesses without having anything to offer. Other girls were older after divorce and/or with a baby as single moms with their own problems. I don't get that.

Out of despair, I did join some online dating networks a year ago. Came out with 0 dates.

I even have problems finding guy friends here. Somebody who would just go do sports with me or a beer on Friday night.

Now, I was raised to first fix my own self before blaming other people. But whenever I travel to other places of this country, namely the midwest, it seems I could find a woman there within a few weeks. When I go visit Germany for a few weeks I usually go on 1-2 dates without even trying. Not here.

Sorry for the long rant. Don't get me wrong. I love Reno, the outdoors is amazing, but I do have problems with the people. I don't like to give up. I wish I could continue to live here. I make good money I don't have to pay any income taxes. The airport is close I can and I do fly out. Just the people, women and friends.

I gave notice to move out of my house next month. I will be in Europe for the next several months and then I am coming back. Now I am looking to resolve the question whether I stay in Reno or move elsewhere.

Anybody willing to share his or her point of view? Anyone has a similar experience with Reno?
Honestly get the hell out of reno especially if you have the means to do it. I had nothing but problems with the dating scene there. What you listed is exactly correct. Reno isnt a very friendly city to begin with. I reconnected with my now husband on facebook so i relocated to California to be with him and never looked back.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Maybe it is true...
Anyone else can share his/her view on Reno?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:08 PM

340 posts, read 664,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffOliver View Post
Maybe it is true...
Anyone else can share his/her view on Reno?
I can. I've spent most of my lifetime in the midwest, along with a year in upstate NY and some time in CA and FL. I can't speak for other areas of NV but at least in S. Reno where I live, I find the folks in Reno more friendly than other places I've lived. Store clerks seem to go out of their way to help. For the most part, the drivers in traffic are easy-going and polite -- I compare that to the number of times I've been cut off or tailgated in other towns. The folks I've casually met love to chat and I've been invited to more get-togethers and dinners with people I've just met than anywhere else.

I know it always comes down to YMMV, but if the only thing tempting you to leave Reno is the difficulty in finding friends and a partner, I encourage you to wait a bit longer. You might try posting an ad on Craigslist or elsewhere -- many won't post anything on their own and would prefer to respond to someone else's ad. Reno has so many things to offer that I'm sure someone seeking the same things you are will pass your way at some point.

As a footnote, I have to laugh when I read posts from people that say they will 'never look back' to their bad experiences here, yet come back repeatedly to this forum to bash Reno. I'm happy that they have found a better experience elsewhere, but it's curious to me as to what motivates them to dwell on negative energy.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:20 AM

932 posts, read 2,346,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfeet View Post
As a footnote, I have to laugh when I read posts from people that say they will 'never look back' to their bad experiences here, yet come back repeatedly to this forum to bash Reno. I'm happy that they have found a better experience elsewhere, but it's curious to me as to what motivates them to dwell on negative energy.
Exactly right. This person Hotfeet is referring to comes to this site only to bash Reno, oblivious to the fact that some people actually enjoy living here. The OP should take that person's perspective with a huge grain of salt.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:07 PM

I do get it that some people enjoy living. And I would enjoy living here myself. I love the mountains and Tahoe both in winter and summer. And people are my biggest issue. Either the problem lies with me or with them. I would always think it has to be me. But every time I go else where I have easier time finding friends and partners.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:53 AM

824 posts, read 2,790,980 times
Dating and having friends is overrated.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
Dating and having friends is overrated.
What do you mean exactly?

Old 04-13-2017, 04:20 PM

711 posts, read 687,989 times
I'll be frank - I last lived in Reno before you were even born OP. Things may have changed a lot - or they may not have changed at all.

When I was there, Reno was a transient town. No one is really from there (or at least admits it) and very few people say they want to stay there for a while and make it their home. People in your age group and younger are less likely to care about developing friendships and relationships because they really don't plan to stay there long. For a lot of people, Reno is kind of a place where you can easily be invisible. The older people you've met I'm assuming have made the decision to be there for a while and not just be "passing thru".

It's probably complicated by the fact that you're an online business owner so you're not going to a job and seeing the same people day after day.

I wouldn't rule out being able to establish relationships and friendships while you're there. I do think though you'll have better luck somewhere where people seem a little more connected to their community.

And now I'm a bit curious - is my ancient recollection of Reno/Sparks even remotely similar to what it is now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area