Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 22,834 times

Advertisements

I searched this forum for question on best internet company in Reno. 2 prior threads found but no real good answers provided. It looks like AT&T and Charter Spectrum are the 2 big ones offering up to 100 to 1000 mbps download speeds. There are smaller companies like Sky Fiber Internet, Great Basin Internet Services, Top Speed Internet Service but these seem to only offer up to 10-20 mbps.

Thus, it comes down to AT&T fiber optic vs. Spectrum cable. Which ones do you think is more reliable (signal drops, slowed speed)? What is your experience? Yelp reviews rated both companies as terrible and fraudulent.

As to specific region, I will be moving to South Reno (Damonte area) until we buy a home in Northwest (Somersett) area.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 11:43 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
I'm interested too. From what I read, Spectrum is better for internet and cable cutters with no data limits, but AT&T is better for short termers (renters) and TV. I think there is a 1TB limit before they charge extra for going over that limit. I'm about to order my service...

On Yelp, both seem to have very bad customer service...

Last edited by Vic Romano; 09-01-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-01-2018, 11:58 AM

19 posts, read 22,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
From what I read, Spectrum is better for internet and cable cutters with no data limits, but AT&T is better for short termers (renters) and TV. I think there is a 1TB limit before they charge extra for going over that limit. I'm about to order my service...
On Yelp, Spectrum seems to have very bad customer service...

Well, reviews for AT&T is not any better. Thus my dilemma. Also their 1TB data limit per month bothers me although I don't know if we ever go over that.

Why do you think AT&T is better for renters when they require a contract while Spectrum does not?

Old 09-01-2018, 12:13 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefree00 View Post
Well, reviews for AT&T is not any better. Thus my dilemma. Also their 1TB data limit per month bothers me although I don't know if we ever go over that.

Why do you think AT&T is better for renters when they require a contract while Spectrum does not?
Sorry, got it backwards...Spectrum is better for renters...

Old 09-03-2018, 12:10 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,966,516 times
I've had both ATT and Spectrum. Depending on where you live you may/may not have access to their better services. We don't get Uverse or whatever the higher level is with Spectrum. Either company is fine once you are signed up and billing is regular. It's the signing on and discontinuing where some of the billing issues come in. I have them on auto pay on a credit card so that if there is a billing error it is removed from my credit card until the provider reconciles the charges, never a debit card...ever for auto pay.
ATT seemed to have more drops and more service problems but might have been due to our wiring being 40 years old. Spectrum has been fine but the prices continue to go up for the same service. They both know they are the real only players in town so calling and complaining about prices doesn't get any reductions like it used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
View detailed profiles of: