Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 12:35 AM

20 posts, read 74,513 times

Advertisements

Luckily, I'm no longer roommates with this total jerk, but I created this thread so I can get insight about what to do the next time I deal with a pain in the ass. Ok, I thought it was common sense that if you need to go to sleep early to wake up for work the following day, your roomate should respect that and let you turn off the light, if you two share the same room. Well my roommate didn't and that really ticked me off. He never even said why he needed the light on (I guess he just has no social skills). I live in a building similar to a college dorm, so I guessed that he would need it on because he needed to study, so I asked why he can't just go to the study room or somewhere else. His response? he said that was a 'silly' question. What a douche. If that weren't enough, he even had the nerve to say that I'm not the only one in the room (like I didn't know that). Apparently he was complaining that I've woken him up before (how was I supposed to know that if he never says anything? He just sits in his corner on the computer). He's not the most friendly person, so the first time we even said anything to each other was when I asked why he turned on his alarm really loud in the morning when he didn't even get up until an hour or so later. His response? 'Eh, you can just fall back asleep'. Unbelievable. Every morning, I lost an hour or so of sleep because I woke up too early from his damn alarm

Anyways, this feud ended once I decided to switch to another room (I probably should've had him move my stuff since technically I didn't have to leave). I still can't believe he had the nerve to yell and raise his voice at me (that was actually the first time he said anything to me first. He's anti-social like that). Well anyways, I tried to be courteous and not insult him back, and tried to speak in a calm manner to get him to calm down. But looking back on it, I think I was too much of a nice guy and should've been an ******* towards him and told him to **** off. But I realized I don't need to get in an argument with a guy much fatter than me. God, I feel like punching his ugly face each time I have to see him in the building. The sad thing is that I often seeing him talking to acquaintances we know in common. They don't know what kind of a douche he really is.

Sorry if I appear really negative and whiny in this post, as I'm sure some of you have had worse roommate. I've had roommates that didn't do things I liked and whatever, but at least those guys were nice and didn't mean to be *******s. What should I do next time I deal with a jerk like him as a roommate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 AM

475 posts, read 571,692 times
In the future, maintain an open line of communication, tell them when you have a problem, and encourage them to do the same.

And if things can't be resolved, do your best to get out.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM

thats what I tried to do. Whenever I had a problem, I spoke up. I even tried to be considerate, such as by asking if it was ok to turn the lights on or off. For whatever reason, he didnt think he had to ask about anything.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
You share a room with someone. You can't expect them to cater to your needs. He doesn't have to go to bed when you do. And some people like to hit the snooze button in the morning.

These are the types of things that happen when you share a room with someone.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:27 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,673,417 times
Exactly. I can hear the other guy saying to his friends, "Geeze, my roommate is a total tool. He expects me to turn the light off really early at night just because HE has to wake up early. The nerve!"

Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 PM

10 posts, read 54,320 times
It is hard to come to a compromise sometime with a roommate. There are 2 words I can think of to descirbe him, selfish and inconsiderate. Both traits are traits that will not change even with open line of communication. You did the right thing to move out, but do not let him get the best of you. Just be thankful you had a way to avoid inconsiderate people like that.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You share a room with someone. You can't expect them to cater to your needs. He doesn't have to go to bed when you do. And some people like to hit the snooze button in the morning.

These are the types of things that happen when you share a room with someone.
I know that, but I thought it was common sense that you turn off the lights when someone has to go to sleep. I've never had this kind of issue before with previous roommates

Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Exactly. I can hear the other guy saying to his friends, "Geeze, my roommate is a total tool. He expects me to turn the light off really early at night just because HE has to wake up early. The nerve!"
so you're saying I was a tool? That he would actually be angry at me because I was nice enough to let him have his way? Anyways, I asked him if he needed the alarm in order to get up for school, but he said he didn't. So I had the more urgent need

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuslightvivi View Post
It is hard to come to a compromise sometime with a roommate. There are 2 words I can think of to descirbe him, selfish and inconsiderate. Both traits are traits that will not change even with open line of communication. You did the right thing to move out, but do not let him get the best of you. Just be thankful you had a way to avoid inconsiderate people like that.
Boy are you right about those 2 words. I'm really pissed at myself for letting him get the best of me. I should've insulted and been a douche towards him, and just turned off the lights instead of letting him leave them on

Old 08-23-2010, 08:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,170,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Miller View Post
I know that, but I thought it was common sense that you turn off the lights when someone has to go to sleep. I've never had this kind of issue before with previous roommates
Not much compromise on your end. You want him to turn out the lights when you are ready for bed and you want him to not have his alarm go off in the morning.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Not much compromise on your end. You want him to turn out the lights when you are ready for bed and you want him to not have his alarm go off in the morning.
yeah, and I let him have it his way both times. As a result, he shouldn't have showed me such a bad attitude. Also, for the alarm issue, I was simply asking why he needed the alarm to go off if he wasn't even gonna wake up. I didn't demand he turned it off. I just listened to him give his excuse and I said whatever
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting