Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:03 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times

Advertisements

My son is renting a room while he is in school from a guy he knew in high school. My question is should he expect a receipt and is the fellow renting the room to him required to claim this money as income. I think the guy is just taking the money and has never even offered a receipt. This seems fishy to me. thanks

Old 08-24-2010, 07:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
I prefer check... this way I have a paper trail to prove payment or receipt.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
Tell your son to pay by check or M.O. and then then he has a receipt. But asking for one is certainly fine too. What the owner does with the money though, is not your concern.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:08 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
My son is renting a room while he is in school from a guy he knew in high school. My question is should he expect a receipt and is the fellow renting the room to him required to claim this money as income. I think the guy is just taking the money and has never even offered a receipt. This seems fishy to me. thanks

State law would define your sons situation as "sublessor", when you rent a room in someones home and your sons friend is the landlord. I would definitely want a receipt if paying in cash, friends can become foes, it happens. With checks and money orders issues can still arise over late payments, if your sons friend enforces that and by most state law after the 5th is late, unless there is another verbal agreement between them. The date on the check or day the money order was purchased doesn't necessarily indicate the day an LL received payment, so having both are advisable.

If theres a deposit involved, in some states late payments can be deducted after moveout, I wouldn't leave any loopholes. Google Landlord/Tenant code for the state hes residing.

Last edited by virgode; 08-25-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
State law would define your sons situation as "sublessor", when you rent a room in someones home and your sons friend is the landlord. I would definitely want a receipt if paying in cash, friends can become foes, it happens. With checks and money orders issues can still arise over late payments, if your sons friend enforces that and by most state law after the 5th is late, unless there is another verbal agreement between them. The date on the check or day the money order was purchased doesn't necessarily indicate the day an LL received payment, so having both are advisable.

If theres a deposit involved, in some states late payments can be deducted after moveout, I wouldn't leave any loopholes. Google Landlord/Tenant code for the state hes residing.
Have to make correction in the above, your son is the "sublessee" the friend the "sublessor" same as a landlord.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,271,907 times
When I rented I paid by check but always demanded a receipt. Checks can be lost and the LL may claim that you never gave him the check. That happened to me once. I was able to produce the signed, stamped receipt and let him know the lost check was his problem, not mine. They did eventually find it, but I wasn't about to cut him another one.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 AM

475 posts, read 570,954 times
Demand is a strong word, but you should always get a receipt.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,929 times
Thank you for the info. My other question is do you have to report money that you get for renting a room as income?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
For quite some time I was in a rental home and rented out the downstairs studio to several people over several years. This was all a question of being able to afford the luxury of a nice house. I had a full time job and as neither did I claim the house rent as a deduction on my income tax did I declare the income from the rental as income. If your son's friend owns the home then he probably does declare the rent from the room as income but if in turn a tenant who's charging your son then probably not. But with all due respect that's really none of your business, unless your reason for asking is that you have a spare room you're thinking of renting out to someone else.

However, your son really must get into the habit of requiring a receipt for any money transferred in cash to another person and particularly where rent is concerned. There are simple receipt books available for that purpose and he can fill out a slip in duplicate every time he pays rent and have the landlord sign as acknowledgement of receipt.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Thank you for the info. My other question is do you have to report money that you get for renting a room as income?
My understanding is Income is reportable once a certain threshold is reached...

Generally, Rental Income is offset by expenses, depreciation and tax credits.

I have rented to tenants that have never filed a Federal Income Tax return... they received subsidized housing, AFDC, general assistance, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting