Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 02:30 PM

73 posts, read 246,931 times

Advertisements

I signed a 12 mo lease on a 270sf apt in Aug. The property manager said gas was included but not the electrical. I moved in, switched it into my name. Then I got the bill! The pool pump, automatic sprinklers & outside lights at this 4-plex are on my meter. I was not told this & wouldn't have rented if I'd known. I called Edison to ask their thoughts. They said flip the breakers to verify which is which. That was when I found the meters & breakers were behind a locked fenced area behind my unit. Edison was not pleased the tenants had no access to breakers in case of emergency. The lock was "dispensed" with, I flipped breakers, verifying my meter has the pool, etc.
I emailed the prop mgr., said I wanted to have my own meter, that I can't pay for the pool as I'm on low income. They said they couldn't afford a new meter, and could I leave it in my name so they could get my low income discount? They would pay the portion that's the pool etc, I'd pay the balance. They said the avg for this meter before I moved in (apt was empty for long time) for summer is $125, winter is $69. I was afraid I'd be stuck with the whole bill so I said okay for now.
Big problem. My use went way down from Aug to Oct. but the total bill went from Aug $131 to Oct $152. They said they've mailed me $69 for Oct (winter rate)(not received yet) so I owe $83! It's 270 sf! I'm VERY conservative. Oct had no a/c or heat use. So they lied about the winter avg too.
They were going to do a conference call with the owner and myself to resolve this. That hasn't happened.
Can I turn the power off in my name? It should automatically go back into their name.
I want to be released from the lease, regardless of what they come up with. They lied to me. Can I use the lack of disclosure and wanting me to participate in stealing from the low income aid to get out of the lease? Any chance I could get my deposit back? If they act fast, they can re rent it, as this is start of season here. If it's drug out, the unit will end up empty for the summer. Maybe they think with the lease, they can force me to pay until it re rents. Well, I don't have it. I just lost my job.
I'm an honorable person and expect others to treat me with honor. I'd like to get out so they can rent it asap, hopefully telling about the meter. I know it's business, but this has been the final straw for me, in a litany of issues I've fought to resolve with them. Unfortunately for me, I spent the last 8 years cleaning up my credit after fleeing an abusive relationship. This was my first apt that was just mine, not a roommate. Now it's potentially all for naught because of their dishonesty and me losing my work(not saying all their fault).
What is my best route with this, that will do right for me and for them, even though they haven't done right by me? Time is of the essence on this question, as I may not have the rent money for Dec 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 07:01 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,413,815 times
Exclamation wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyI'mHome View Post
I signed a 12 mo lease on a 270sf apt in Aug. The property manager said gas was included but not the electrical. I moved in, switched it into my name. Then I got the bill! The pool pump, automatic sprinklers & outside lights at this 4-plex are on my meter. I was not told this & wouldn't have rented if I'd known. I called Edison to ask their thoughts. They said flip the breakers to verify which is which. That was when I found the meters & breakers were behind a locked fenced area behind my unit. Edison was not pleased the tenants had no access to breakers in case of emergency. The lock was "dispensed" with, I flipped breakers, verifying my meter has the pool, etc.
I emailed the prop mgr., said I wanted to have my own meter, that I can't pay for the pool as I'm on low income. They said they couldn't afford a new meter, and could I leave it in my name so they could get my low income discount? They would pay the portion that's the pool etc, I'd pay the balance. They said the avg for this meter before I moved in (apt was empty for long time) for summer is $125, winter is $69. I was afraid I'd be stuck with the whole bill so I said okay for now.
Big problem. My use went way down from Aug to Oct. but the total bill went from Aug $131 to Oct $152. They said they've mailed me $69 for Oct (winter rate)(not received yet) so I owe $83! It's 270 sf! I'm VERY conservative. Oct had no a/c or heat use. So they lied about the winter avg too.
They were going to do a conference call with the owner and myself to resolve this. That hasn't happened.
Can I turn the power off in my name? It should automatically go back into their name.
I want to be released from the lease, regardless of what they come up with. They lied to me. Can I use the lack of disclosure and wanting me to participate in stealing from the low income aid to get out of the lease? Any chance I could get my deposit back? If they act fast, they can re rent it, as this is start of season here. If it's drug out, the unit will end up empty for the summer. Maybe they think with the lease, they can force me to pay until it re rents. Well, I don't have it. I just lost my job.
I'm an honorable person and expect others to treat me with honor. I'd like to get out so they can rent it asap, hopefully telling about the meter. I know it's business, but this has been the final straw for me, in a litany of issues I've fought to resolve with them. Unfortunately for me, I spent the last 8 years cleaning up my credit after fleeing an abusive relationship. This was my first apt that was just mine, not a roommate. Now it's potentially all for naught because of their dishonesty and me losing my work(not saying all their fault).
What is my best route with this, that will do right for me and for them, even though they haven't done right by me? Time is of the essence on this question, as I may not have the rent money for Dec 1st.
I would send a registered letter to all parties and adv that you are turning power off in your name until this crap is resolved. You need to contact Legal Assistance, like yesterday...
Koaale

Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,320 times
Default Power problems

First thing I would do is to turn off the breakers to the items you do not want to pay for. If you are paying the bill it is your choice to have something turned on or off---choose off. When it is noticed tell them you are not paying for things you do not wish to have on. If they turn it back on and relock the area call the utility company and tell them someone is stealing power with out your permission. In my area it is a criminal offense if items are on your meter that are not in your apartment unless disclosed in the lease. Please contact the power company and let them help you sort this out.
Be aware that this could turn out to be a pain for you. If the company gets fined or has to spend alot of money to get this straightened out they could retaliate against you. You could be forced to leave or have your lease not renewed. Still better than paying someone elses bill. Good Luck

Old 11-23-2012, 03:10 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
Regardless of the electrical problem, not paying Dec's rent does not enter the situation.
It sounds like you want to use it as the excuse for breaking your lease/not paying the rent.

The advice from sci is good but first......did you agree in writing (email)to continue to pay?If so, immediately email that you are no longer going to do so since the charges are much more than the $69 allowance.

They could make an offer to amend the situation (such as paying the entire bill and reimbursing you for the current one) that will not allow you to use it as an excuse to break the lease.
Any changes to a lease should be in writing, BTW.
Even if not, and you follow sci's advice, this may or may not be accomplished by Dec 1st.

It's possible they may allow you to leave immediately so as to avoid the entire can of worms that would be opened for them if you proceed, so no harm in presenting that as an option.
Oh...if they do...get it in writing!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
I've been down this road with a friend before...

The result was my friend was awarded 17 years of allocated electricity costs plus penalties...

She also had a pump for the pool on her meter.

My understanding is the case was not that pump was on her meter, but, that she was never provided written notice nor was she provided the option to decline.

At one of my own properties, a duplex, I had a house meter installed for a single yard light and sprinkler timer... usage is never more than a $1 a month... it cost $800 and worth every penny not to have problems.

Back to your situation...

If you are low income and have subsidized rent... having the service turned off is grounds for termination... at least this is my experience.

Turning off an individual breaker would be fine as long as this is all you do...

Based on experience, you hold all the cards and this could prove quite expensive for the owners.

You are dealing with unscrupulous people.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:44 PM

The low income thing isn't for the rent. It's a program with the electric utility providing a reduction of your bill, generally 20%.
I'm not trying to "use" this to get out of paying the rent. I just lost my source of income and won't likely have the rent for Dec 1. I have somewhere else I could temporarily move to if I can convince them to let me out of the lease. It may indeed be that they will be grateful for an opportunity to get rid of me.
I still haven't received the money from them to pay my electric bill. The utility has called me twice that if it isn't paid by the 26th, I'm scheduled for shut off. Hopefully it'll be in tomorrow's mail.
I am composing an email informing them of my rights and where they messed up. I'm going to tell them that I'm taking it out of my name and back into theirs. I assume it's set up to do so automatically, because of the pool, etc. I'm giving them 2 choices. Either include the electric in my rent and pay for the discrepancy owed or release me from my lease.
I'm still working on the wording, since I'll only have one shot at it.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM

Default Update

I was able to get the property managers to release me from my lease, in writing. They have verbally agreed to return my deposit after doing a walk through. They decided to come look since they'd never actually seen the complex. I will be out the end of December. I paid my rent for December. They have paid their portion of the electricity. I did go 6 days without electricity, but that was partly because Edison didn't send the "message" to the meter.
I think they chose to let me out of the lease because I became too much of a PITA. I knew my rights, and made them aware I did. I learned that it isn't unusual in Palm Springs, CA for the meter to be shared, Apparently, many buildings were originally motels that were converted into apartments. The burden is on the prospective tenant to verify in writing these little issues. This is according to the Fair Housing folks.
What have I learned? When my "gut" is saying don't sign....listen! I feel very lucky to have gotten out of this. I have all of the emails between us to back me up if they don't return my deposit. I doubt if I will ever be tied into a lease again. There are good landlords. I've had some great ones. But the bad ones, look out.
The property manager is listing my unit for $625. I paid $500. They are including electric. But I spoke with the other 3 tenants(with sep. meters) who have units about 100 sf larger with greater usage. They use $30-$40 per month.
Anyone else, I would advise you get everything in writing, substantiate everything, don't assume anything.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
Appreciate the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting