Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 31,875 times

Advertisements

I have a somewhat complicated question about shared metering. Please bear with me.

Here's the background:

I live in a small complex is Los Angeles that originally had a total of three units: two 2bd + den apartments and a one 3 bedroom apartment. I live in one of the two units that had the den downstairs, but the dens in both apartments had been converted into separate bachelor units right before I moved in 1.5 years ago. Thus we now a total of five units, yet only 3 electricity meters (plus one for the front house and one for the common area, for a grand total of 5 meters).

I finally decided to play detective and discovered that my circuit breakers also controlled my downstairs neighbor's apartment. Turns out we are sharing a meter and I have been paying for his electricity this entire time. He was not aware of this because his utilities had always been included in his rent. I also confirmed my findings with the DWP fraud hotline, but have not filed a report in hopes of settling this privately.

I confronted the property manager about this, who informed me that the landlord was very sorry and never knew, and said that the electricians must have "forgotten" to rewire.

We are currently working on a plan to reimburse my roommate and I, but the property manager said that anything before July was a different lease and therefore "no longer in effect." This means that we would only get reimbursed for the 5 or so months on this current lease, but not the year before that. This does not seem fair since we were completely unaware of this until recently, but nonetheless still paid extra. Can the landlord really deny us reimbursement from the previous lease simply because we are on a new year's lease? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzy View Post
I have a somewhat complicated question about shared metering. Please bear with me.

Here's the background:

I live in a small complex is Los Angeles that originally had a total of three units: two 2bd + den apartments and a one 3 bedroom apartment. I live in one of the two units that had the den downstairs, but the dens in both apartments had been converted into separate bachelor units right before I moved in 1.5 years ago. Thus we now a total of five units, yet only 3 electricity meters (plus one for the front house and one for the common area, for a grand total of 5 meters).

I finally decided to play detective and discovered that my circuit breakers also controlled my downstairs neighbor's apartment. Turns out we are sharing a meter and I have been paying for his electricity this entire time. He was not aware of this because his utilities had always been included in his rent. I also confirmed my findings with the DWP fraud hotline, but have not filed a report in hopes of settling this privately.

I confronted the property manager about this, who informed me that the landlord was very sorry and never knew, and said that the electricians must have "forgotten" to rewire.

We are currently working on a plan to reimburse my roommate and I, but the property manager said that anything before July was a different lease and therefore "no longer in effect." This means that we would only get reimbursed for the 5 or so months on this current lease, but not the year before that. This does not seem fair since we were completely unaware of this until recently, but nonetheless still paid extra. Can the landlord really deny us reimbursement from the previous lease simply because we are on a new year's lease? Thank you for your help.
No you are to be reimbursed for everything. The owner and PM could be in some hot water as these are code violations so you should push the issue.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
No you are to be reimbursed for everything. The owner and PM could be in some hot water as these are code violations so you should push the issue.
Thanks. How do you think I should go about pushing the issue? I don't want to come off threatening but also have no legal experience on this type of issue. Can I tell them they are legally bound to repay the rest of the owed money? Also, what codes could they be in violation of? The shared metering, or the conversion?

Old 01-03-2011, 04:31 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzy View Post
Thanks. How do you think I should go about pushing the issue? I don't want to come off threatening but also have no legal experience on this type of issue. Can I tell them they are legally bound to repay the rest of the owed money? Also, what codes could they be in violation of? The shared metering, or the conversion?
Well the first thing I would do is simply tell the property manager that he is not correct and since the shared metering was the owners fault he must you reimburse you the full amount. Be nice but firm. Something to the effective that you are glad that he/owner are willing to correct their mistake but that they are legally required to reimburse you for the entire amount that you were overcharged for the entire time period that you lived there. That's the first step. If you think the guy is trying to ********* may mention "you hope you will be able to solve this between the three of you without the involvement of any third parties(that is a vague threat for court, complaints etc). If they are cooperative I would leave the last part out. You can also say that you inquired anomously and that the electric company confirmed that they are liable for the entire amount.

I can't answer for your location but where I live New York, this is the law.
http://www.nationalgridus.com/niagar...sharedmetr.pdf

Correction: I said he would definetely be liable for the entire period. In New York that is not necessarily the case. It states only 12 months. But that is only what national grid will help you collect on. You can still ask for their assistance and sue for the remaining balance. But your location may be different.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I'd suggest you check with your local Legal Aid office and get either a free or a low-cost initial consultation with a competent real estate lawyer. Your local Bar Association could also give you some referrals.

I don't believe the property manager is correct in saying that you can't be reimbursed for anything under the original lease but an attorney could answer that question very quickly. I don't know how the DWP fraud hotline works but, if push comes to shove, then follow through with them. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:25 PM

Thanks all! We're going too meet up and discuss this and I'm definitely going to stay firm on the issue.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
It's fraud...

Heres a code section

California Civil Code Section 798.43 - California Attorney Resources - California Laws

If the matter isn't resolved to your satisfaction... in addition to filing a formal complaint with the city/county for substandard/faulty wiring... I would also file one with the Department of Real Estate... many property managers are required to hold a California Real Estate License

In my area, the Utility company is also aggressive and may Red Tag Service until cleared by the building department.

If you wanted to expedite the matter... I would not have a problem flipping the breakers in question off... after all you have a duty to mitigate your loss on behalf of the responsible party...

If this was really a legal conversion done with a licensed electrician... another complaint to the contractor license board is in order naming the Electrical Contractor...

I have no tolerance for any business that perpetrates fraud...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-04-2011 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 06:15 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'd suggest you check with your local Legal Aid office and get either a free or a low-cost initial consultation with a competent real estate lawyer. Your local Bar Association could also give you some referrals.

I don't believe the property manager is correct in saying that you can't be reimbursed for anything under the original lease but an attorney could answer that question very quickly. I don't know how the DWP fraud hotline works but, if push comes to shove, then follow through with them. Good luck!
In some CA cases the tenant was reimbursed going back many years... it happened to a friend where a sump pump serving the building complex was wired to her meter...

I think the law allows recovery back to 1991... see attached code noted in previous post.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
You have of course turned those breakers OFF.....Its your right to stop the drain that's going on your power bill.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:24 AM

Thank you for the link, Ultrarunner!

Nativechief, no I have not yet turned it off. The landlord has offered us IMO a fair reimbursement through the time it gets fixed (for the current lease), and I'd like to avoid putting my downstairs neighbor in a bad situation if possible. That is, as long the problem gets fixed soon.

But the issue of the owed money from the previous lease still stands...so we shall see what happens with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting