Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times

Advertisements

I've started looking for a room to rent in the same neighborhood I'm in now or somewhere close by. The plan is to rent a room that will hopefully be quieter, has respectful neighbors. It will be expensive to have my current apartment and that room at the same time, but allow me to enjoy the benefits of both places when I want.
I've already responded to a few ads but I wonder what entails due diligence when deciding to rent a room in someone's house or apartment, what to expect, how to get along with future room mates, etc. I guess situations differ, but having some pointers on the initial steps from people who've been there done that would be useful.

For example, when you meet for the first time, what kinds of questions would you ask?
i.e.
1) What's their work schedule?
2) When do they like to get up and go to bed?
3) Do they like throwing parties now and then or have friends over?
4) Why are they looking for a room mate?
5) How are household chores split?
6) Do we do our own cooking and food shopping or do we share?

Stuff like that. Besides these questions, what are some of the pitfalls of renting a room that people should be wary of? I suppose I could ask for references...but one thing you don't know when going to live with others is whether they're psychotic, so how can you be sure the situation you're putting yourself in is safe? I guess a lock on the bedroom door would be one way to increase security. Otherwise it seems like you're putting your fate in a stranger's hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Your post is very confusing. Why do you want to maintain two living spaces - your apartment AND a room? What are "the benefits" you refer to? If you have problems in your current apartment then finding a rooming situation will surely only double the problems. It doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting