Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:42 PM

5 posts, read 13,677 times

Advertisements

We literally have wind blowing in around our entry doors, windows, kitchen cabinets, & pantry/cuboard because the house apparently is not insulated. We have used over 500gal of propane in less than 2 months to try & heat the house. Our landlord will not do anything. Is she responsible for insulating and putting on doors that actually fit? We have spoken to her several times over the last month with no remedial action on her part. To me these are unbearable living conditrions to me. Am I right in feeling she is responsible to fix this situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 01:54 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
We are in the process of putting up that plastic sheeting on all of the windows in the house we just rented. They also make door-insulating products. It won't fix the problem completely of course, but it's a low-cost way to accomplish something without resorting to the LL.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 PM

5 posts, read 13,677 times
We have done all that, but the air comes in behind the trim on the windows. Between that & the walls being so cold the tape keeps coming off. We have put new weatherstripping and top & bottom seals on the doors but the doors do not properly fit so the wind still blows in. I have even stapled a blanket around one door to try and keep tthe wind out. I can't do anything with the cabinets & pantry. I mean, come on, wind actually blowing in through your cabinets & pantry? The pantry only has an accordion door that doesn't reach to the floor. There is about 6 inches of space in between the floor & the door. Basically, we refer to the house now as a "pretty shack"

Old 12-20-2010, 12:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Unless the deficiency makes the Home not habitable per statute or the Landlord made a substantial material misrepresentation... I would think your only remedy is moving at the end of the term.

New windows, doors, insulation and general all around sealing and caulking is going to be costly and it sounds the Landlord isn't interested.

Many utilities at one time were offering free and low cost insulation assistance... the rentals I manage are in CA and had all the attics and weatherstripping done through the program.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,674,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb316 View Post
We literally have wind blowing in around our entry doors, windows, kitchen cabinets, & pantry/cuboard because the house apparently is not insulated. We have used over 500gal of propane in less than 2 months to try & heat the house. Our landlord will not do anything. Is she responsible for insulating and putting on doors that actually fit? We have spoken to her several times over the last month with no remedial action on her part. To me these are unbearable living conditrions to me. Am I right in feeling she is responsible to fix this situation
How long do you have left in the lease?

Old 12-20-2010, 09:42 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,653,017 times
just move, sounds so aggravating to me

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
just move, sounds so aggravating to me
Always an option... just be prepared for the financial fallout.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,386,817 times
Move and pay no more rent because the house is uninhabitable by reasonable costs your landlord refuses to fix.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
The term "uninhabitable" is a legal term, and the OP would need to check the statutes and cases in their state to see if this falls into that category. You can't just move because you think a ciondition falls into that category (well, you can, but as Ultrarunner states, just be prepared for the financial and legal consequences.)

Old 12-20-2010, 01:03 PM

504 posts, read 1,546,256 times
Can you post some pictures of the problem areas? Someone that's handy with house repairs might be able to give you some good advice. It might even be cheaper for you to fix the problem (to a degree) than the money you're spending on heating fuel. Of couse I don't mean for you to replace every door and window in the house, but insulation could be relatively cheap compared to the heating fuel. What state do you live in if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting