Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 23,922 times

Advertisements

I just dont see how someone can just take over your house when you RENT THEM a room,,, the girl had 10 people staying in my house over christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klgcrna View Post
I just dont see how someone can just take over your house when you RENT THEM a room,,, the girl had 10 people staying in my house over christmas.

How? Because you didn't put your rental agreement in black and white. Lesson learned, hard lesson for sure, but one you won't ever forget.

Now it's time for you to contact a lawyer and start the eviction process on this lady.

As you already know, going to the police will do you no good, you need to fight this in court.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
You posted on Christmas Day. As soon as you realized the problems did you give/send her a written 30 day notice to quit? If not, what are you waiting for?

Has she yet paid rent for January? If she hasn't yet paid January's rent but tries to do so then don't accept it, don't either deposit or cash the cheque.

And check your state landlord tenant laws (simply google "(your state) landlord tenant laws" because in most states a tenant cannot change locks without the consent of the LL and the LL has to be given a key to the new locks for use in case of emergency. Also check with your local Bar Association or Legal Aid office to see what real estate/rental attorneys in your area might give you either a free or affordable charge consultation.

Stop wringing your hands on this forum and get into action.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,025,375 times
^Good info

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
Totally agree with STT Resident - get to a real estate lawyer fast on this. You had a verbal agreement with this nut you allowed in your house, and she's broken the agreement. There's the locks she changed illegally in order to lock you out of your own house, plus if she's paying by check you can prove she's paying you $300/month for a room only - because what landlord in their right mind would rent an entire house for only $300 a month?? That would be totally insane. That amount of money ought to prove you only rented out a room.

It seems to me some legitimate legal charges should be brought against her such as locking out her roommates illegally (those roommates would be you and your kids), possibly "stealing" your house as you put it (perhaps there's a legal term for this), etc.

Legally the only part of your house she's entitled to live in is that room you rented to her. She is not entitled to take over the whole house. If you can, have her arrested.

Please keep us all posted.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
This woman had a sweet deal & she got greedy and stupid. $300.00 month for rent & utilities is cheap.

Does she get free laundry, cable & phone ?

How bout family meals ?

You will have to legally evict her which could talk 30-60 days.

Consider it a lesson learned in life.

What state are you in ?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 973 times
I rented without a lease or contact from someone I thought of as a friend. We had worked together 30 years ago but had not been in contact until about 6-8 months before she asked me to share expenses. We are both single and she invited me to rent from her to lesson both our expenses. Well, before agreeing I started having second thoughts because of her attitude but ignored them. She became very territorial of HER home, bullied me on a daily basis, told me I was lying when she couldn't find something, always insisting I must have done something with it. She made is so that my grandkids felt her attitude, told their dad about it, therefore, they could no longer visit me while living there. I was restricted to one small draw and less than a square foot of space in pantry and refrigerator for food. She complained because I would wash my dishes as soon as done eating, saying that was a waste of soap. I bought my own soap and it always lasted 2 to 3 months. Nothing for her to concern herself about. She became very nasty because I would not pick up her (and her friend and families) trash and do their dishes. I started looking for an apartment many months before she found out. When she learned of this she because more rude and nasty. In the end I knew an apartment would be available soon so I started paying her weekly. She returned my checks and tried to demand that we had agreed on higher rent. I have all my previous rent payments detailed on memo line of checks as I volunteered to pay her more than agreed amount for utilities. Plus I paid 100% of cable bill and because of work was home less than 15 of 30 days. My advice is never go into rental with a friend or without a lease.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjranger View Post
I rented without a lease or contact from someone I thought of as a friend ... My advice is never go into rental with a friend or without a lease.
I don't see a question in your post but legally you do have a contract. You're legally considered to be on a month to month rental agreement (it could be weekly if you had a a written agreement to that effect but you don't) and are required to give each other 30 days written notice of your intent to break the contract. You can check your state laws which are probably linked in the first "sticky" on this forum as the time frame does sometimes vary a little but 30 days is the norm in these circumstances.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:43 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klgcrna View Post
I would break a window and climb in. It's your home, so it'd be worth it...then I'd make her life a living hell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting