Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,553,792 times

Advertisements

Wow, some people call me a slumlord, yet I've never had a tub look that bad and I am constantly having bathrooms redone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 02:27 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,965,273 times
Excuse me, have you ever thought of CLEANING the place in the past 4 years? The landlord isn't your maid.

What's wrong with the tub? Does it drain? Does it have hot water? Get down on your knees with some ajax and SCRUB.

How much are you paying for this place? Let's start there.

As for the mold - after 4 years of living there it's your mold sonny, you clean it.

How about this? If you don't like the tub go down to Home Depot and spend $30 and buy a can of tub epoxy spray and sand it and refinish the tub yourself. It'll take you like 2 hours - after you clean up your mold. Then buy a tube of caulk for $2.95 and caulk the edges. It'll look great for a year maybe even two.

Then go buy a quart of kilz primer and paint the ceiling if you don't like it, and use another quart for a top coat if you want. Oh and spend $8 for a roller and tray and a brush.

There is your fix for under $50 and don't bill the LL - the unit is habitable. These are not necessary repairs.

YOU are the one who's lived there for 4 YEARS in these conditions. My guess is they weren't that way when you moved in.

As for the carpet, try getting a carpet cleaner. Then buy some rugs or some new carpet and lay it over it.

Otherwise move out so the LL can renovate the unit and double the rent.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:09 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,150,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I'm very compassionate... sometimes to a fault.

That said, I cannot for the life me understand: (1) Why you would move-in/accept a dirty apartment and (2) Why would you stay?

The best thing about renting is Freedom to move... you are in control... just provide the property notice and be on your way.

I could not live like this... how often have you deep cleaned the carpets... how often do you clean/disinfect the bathroom?

The problem with the tub is a result of someone paying the money to "Refinish" it. Someone thought they were doing a good thing, paid the money and not it is peeling.

There are two solutions... either the coating is removed... takes a couple of hours or the tub can be replaced or covered.

Were the other units vacant? Sometimes the work required is most difficult to do when the unit is occupied... is your unit under rent control making each dollar spent a dollar lost?

You must decide... you are the only one than can look out for you...
Spot on! Rent Control has removed any incentive for this particular landlord to do any improvements.

That place is gross though. The landlord should have some common decency to provide a clean living environment.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,965,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
Spot on! Rent Control has removed any incentive for this particular landlord to do any improvements.

That place is gross though. The landlord should have some common decency to provide a clean living environment.

I reiterate - the OP said he lived there for FOUR YEARS!

I seriously doubt the place looked like that 4 years ago. That is what happens AFTER 4 years of not cleaning anything.

It's not the LL's job to have common decency and clean up after this pig.

Now - if it was my unit, he'd be evicted long ago, and I'd have a judgement for damages against him and I would rehab the unit and jack up the rent.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:50 PM

12 posts, read 43,882 times
once the tube started peeling and they refused to fix it
we refused to clean it
we didn't think it was safe to touch the mold

the brown stuff on the ceiling had nothing to do with cleaning .
the apartment above had a flood and ruined the ceiling and the wall and again our request for repairs were ignored.
thank you for your replys

Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy23 View Post
for 4 years the landlord would not fix the bathtub as you can see its not usable.

the apartment over me had a flood and leaked water into the bathroom ruining the paint.

also look at the mold builds up the new owner told me to use bleach and fix it.

the carpet was old and dirty when i moved in was dirty if i walk on it bare footed my feet look like i have bee walking on black coals.

they turned off the gas and water for 2 days we dang near froze to death.

new owners now and they have been here for 2 months and they wont fix it either but they refurbished 3 other units
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

I seriously doubt the place looked like that 4 years ago. That is what happens AFTER 4 years of not cleaning anything.

Now - if it was my unit, he'd be evicted long ago, and I'd have a judgement for damages against him and I would rehab the unit and jack up the rent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post

thank you

Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

i have a 1 year lease

and if this pig were renting from you sir if you refused to fix i would not clean your broken tube ,dish washer etc.

and i never noticed his insult i hope this forum has good moderation for this type of keyboard commando

Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
The LL didn't fix anything because you kept signing a new lease. Look for a new place. Best of luck.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 AM

584 posts, read 1,938,067 times
jamies if your a land lord i hope the shut you down or if your a manger i hope they fire you

Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,950,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy23 View Post
i have a 1 year lease

and if this pig were renting from you sir if you refused to fix i would not clean your broken tube ,dish washer etc.

and i never noticed his insult i hope this forum has good moderation for this type of keyboard commando
dont whine .. Jamie made some valid points YOU have the power to fix some of this and not act the victim .. most of us would have sent a letter and then after 30 days done excatly what Jamie suggested and been done with the issue .. Common sense doesnt take that much work does it?
BUT face it the LL likely wants you out anyways so they can rehab the place and jack the rent .. do the work your self and smile as you relize you beat the LL game ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting