Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 04:10 AM

106 posts, read 223,032 times

Advertisements

What are the laws associated with windows when renting? We live on the 2nd floor in a condominium and all of the windows in the unit do not shut completely all the way (about half or less of an inch from closing), during winter the cold breezes are especially noticeable and inconvenient. Our lease is being renewed and I'd like to know if this was a issue worth bringing up? We've been simply just putting up with it before, during the summers we just ran the a/c and winters it would just be an extra blanket or two during bed.

the windows are older ones- they take a little bit of force to open, and likewise to close (although not completely)

I provided some pictures of the locks not aligned properly and the slight opening on the bottom

http://i.imgur.com/ZOqJwWc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qPCTphW.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
This should've been reported to your landlord from day one...not day 365. So, yes, mention to them so they can have someone come and take a look at them.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 AM

109 posts, read 554,572 times
Look similar to aluminum 1950s multi-pane windows. We have those in our rental, and half of them wouldn't open or close. After pestering property mismanager for a few weeks, a handyman was sent out and replaced the crank-up mechanisms. That took care of the problem. There are several more windows that are designed so that there are gaps between the glass and window frame. They wouldn't replace them.

Definitely need to report to the landlords and see that they will do. If the windows have to be replaced, they might not want to do that. In this case, can you use window sealing foam around the openings? We did that, and it helped a lot against drafts and AC waste.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
I would report it and keep proof your reporting it.

Meanwhile if they won't fix it, I would buy a few rolls of these and align them with the closing window so it will "close" on to the foam thus stopping drafts. (as poster above me mentioned)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HECu2P5IL.jpg

They are a few dollars and really handy. I put them on all my windows even though they do close properly and it works really well.

Old 09-20-2015, 02:00 PM

106 posts, read 223,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
This should've been reported to your landlord from day one...not day 365. So, yes, mention to them so they can have someone come and take a look at them.
They were mentioned but nothing happened.

Now that rent is being raised i will write it on the lease under the section 'Tenant acknowledges everything is operable except' and also mention it as well.

Are they required to fix it or is it something that depends on each landlord and how bad the condition is?

Old 09-20-2015, 02:18 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,043 times
The only situations that they absolutely have to fix by law is if the condition makes it uninhabitable. Check your state laws or google 'uninhabitable rental conditions + <your state>'. Or try googling 'rental repairs + <your state>.

If it is not required by law then you will have to continue to try and get your LL to repair on your own or contact a tenant's union in your area for assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting